Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted
I am going to have a custom .300 RUM built primarily for sheep hunting. I have narrowed it down to Hill Country Rifles and Rifles, Inc. (which are both within driving distance from my house). I am looking for a super accurate and light weight rifle. I would like to your thoughts. Thanks, Vince

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should really take a look at Carolina Precision Rifles. John would do a great job at a very reasonable price.

Posts: 84 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having just spent 2+ years waiting on a rebarrel job, I would call both HCR & RI and see if you can arrange a trip to meet w/ a/the smith. HCR has done 2 projects for me and I would/will use them again. RI gets good press. While on walk about, you might want to visit Tip Burns also.
I would stay away from LaVernia based on my experience.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both an HCR and RI rifle. They are both very accurate and well made. My experience was essentially equal although the HCR cost less. I had my last sheep rifle made by Kevin Weaver at Weaver Rifles. I think I finally got exactly what I wanted, a light weight model 70 in 300 Win mag. He has a one man shop and does the work from beginning to end. He answers the phone when you call and generally meets his time estimates. I would recommend you look at his website if you're not set on a Texan!

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Call the Remington Custom Shop. You'll save a bunch of bucks and have a rifle that will shoot sub-minute of angle all day long.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Either will build you a fine rifle, I have three of Lex's rifles, and had one accurized by Hill Country. All are good to go.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Vince,
Any interest in a synthetic stocked Empire Rifle in .300 RUM? Fluted 24" barrel, drop box magazine... I bought it here in the Classifieds a couple of years ago and have never shot it. Empire is out of business now but it is a very nice rifle and very well made. I own several HCR's and one of Kevin Weaver's rifles and this one will stand right there with them. PM me if you have any interest.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. As always, the AR folks are helpful and generous with their advice. I plan on visting both next week.

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look at J. Earl Bridges for custom gun for sheep. You are in a place where you can drive to him as well. He used to work for HCR but now has his own shop. I just really think that his stock design is genius.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Carbon Custom in 300 RUM, 26" 6 pounds

http://www.christensenarms.com...ducts/carbon-custom/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J earl-----used to work at HCR. Look up his location and my prior post.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote