THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    winchester pre 64 action old model
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester pre 64 action old model
 Login/Join

Picture of cz_magnum
posted
You can convert to winchester 70 cal300H & H mag 458win mag or 416 Rigby???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If, a "standard", a good gunsmith can convert to a .300H&H or a .458WM, the former takes some major milling but has/can be done, as Winchester originally did at the factory.

The .416 COULD be squeezed into a P-64, but, why bother when other, more suitable actions are available and at low prices?

The "old" Mod. 70 is best used for .338WM and .458WM cartridges, IMHO and I have had over 40 of them and have a dozen now. A custom pair in .338WM and .458WM, with Echol's mag. boxes to hold 4+1, LaPour safety conversions, Lilja sts. bbls. Talley-Brockman sights and Leupies and modded synthetic stocks is a "dream" combo of mine and would "do it all" everywhere, IMO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of cz_magnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
If, a "standard", a good gunsmith can convert to a .300H&H or a .458WM, the former takes some major milling but has/can be done, as Winchester originally did at the factory.

The .416 COULD be squeezed into a P-64, but, why bother when other, more suitable actions are available and at low prices?

The "old" Mod. 70 is best used for .338WM and .458WM cartridges, IMHO and I have had over 40 of them and have a dozen now. A custom pair in .338WM and .458WM, with Echol's mag. boxes to hold 4+1, LaPour safety conversions, Lilja sts. bbls. Talley-Brockman sights and Leupies and modded synthetic stocks is a "dream" combo of mine and would "do it all" everywhere, IMO.

thanks for your opinion

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for my info...are we talking about pre or post 64??

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a 5 piece set on built on pre-64's by G&H that started with 22 Hornet and ended with 416 Rigby.

I think the photo and write up was in Gun Digest.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of cz_magnum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Just for my info...are we talking about pre or post 64??

Pre 64 the single digit number