New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simson .405 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my Simson .405 Winchester that I finished up last year. It has 24 inch McGowan barrels on it and it is fitted for a Leupold scope in quick detach Talley rings. The Simson action has sideclips, cocking indicators, and a Greener crossbolt. It was proof tested for 300 grain jacketed spire points at 2100 FPS. It is also fitted with a rear express sight with one standing leaf and two folding leaves and a orange fiber optic bead front sight.
The checkering is 26 lines per inch on a very nice piece of hard curly walnut. I think the stock is made of Bastogne but it might be Claro, I should have written it down. The stock is fitted with a steel gripcap, sling swivel stud, and a Kick Eze recoil pad.
My good friend Brian Dudley did most of the hard parts on the wood work including the checkering.

I am sorry about the picture quality of the shots with the green background, they look washed out. The ones with the blue carpet background are closer to the true colors of the wood. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That would be a damn fun double to play and hunt with.

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
OOF! That WOOD! shocker faint

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice; I want one. I will start looking for a shotgun.....

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
Try to find one that has a third fastener on it , like the greener crossbolt, or at least a hidden third fastener like the Purdy sliding bolt. If you don't mind using an over/under, the Ithaca 500 with the Kirsten lockup is a very strong action. Bob

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would not use an over under on a rat gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking piece of wood. Not only good fiddle back but it has depth. Looks like you are looking an inch deep in it. I'll bet it's Claro though, It looks to porous to be Bastogne.

DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Looking forward to it's hunting story.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW,
I know it looks like Claro, but I have a 45-70 double with wood that looks just about like this that I know is made of Bastogne. I buy nice blanks when I find them for a decent price and sometimes I am not the best for marking them. I just screw a cup hook into the front of them and hang them up from the ceiling joists in my shop. Sometimes it is very hard to tell the "brand" of walnut just by looking at it.
Thanks for the compliment anyway, I'm glad you liked it. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard,
Thanks for the nice words, I'll try to let you guys know when I finally bloody it up. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
Let me know if you find a good donor gun, if not, maybe I can help you find one. I have one or two sitting around here. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's awfully pretty! Congrats!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pagosawingnut, Thanks! Stay tuned and I'll show you another one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dwheels,
Here's a picture or two of my personal 45-70. It is stocked with a nice piece of curly Bastogne. It's the only piece of Bastogne that looks like this that I have ever seen. Bob

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What action is that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
It's an older Beretta 409 action and it may be of European decent. They sold some basic 409 models over there that vary somewhat in the engraving design. This one has an articulated front trigger that is always nice to have on harder recoiling doubles.