New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom metal work:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Before I got serious about doubles I was very active in custom metal work. I saw the post on the Anderson Thompson mini rifle(Which was a work or art)and it made me think of a real good set up. Years ago I would take the Turkish Mauser that was large ring small thread mauser, shorten it, and walla you have a short action with small thread, making a very nice action. My point to all this, with the short cartridges now days this is an excellant action for those that can preform this mod.
Take Care
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Butch, good thought. We talked about action shortening and lengthening on another thread, unfortunately without much enthusiasm being shown. Apparently many of the folks here think it's rocket science but I agree with you, it's a splendidly not-too-complicated way to get a truly custom rifle!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, there are some of us that think that using a factory action is ok, but there are customers out there that want to see what can you do with this (action).
Make a base plate, then make a mandral that bolts to the base plate, you need no more, other than a oven to anneal,then case harden(after welding), and a welder to put it back together. I anneal twice, once before welding and once after welding. You will not see the weld this way.
There's allot of neat stuff that comes to mind that I used to do that is now becoming interesting again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the American Custom Gunmakers Guild website and down the sample of copy of their quarterly magazine, inside you will find and article describing how to turn one of the actions Mr. Searcy referred to into a Kurz action. Very interesting read. The title is called, "A Homemade Kurtz Mauser", and it is by Steve Nelson. The actions are converted to small ring, like the original Kurtz, as well. Very informative. This is real custom work at its best.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

would you be so kind as to show the URL?

I saw one of these a gunsmith named Steve Fotou of SLC had made about twenty years ago. He sized it for the BR cases, made an Unlimited Class BR rifle out of it and fit DST's. It shot in the low, low .2" aggs in 6BR. It was just jewelry in steel...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Matt,

would you be so kind as to show the URL?

Here it is..

Scroll half way down and click on the link to "Download a Sample Issue of Gunmaker as a pdf file."

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested. Cost?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Searcy

Did you save any photos from those days gone by of your short actions that you would like to show us?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This hasn't been shortened, but it is a example of the work I did in the early 1980's. I'll look for a picture of a shortened action. That will take some digging.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A little fuel for the fire...

http://www.hallowellco.com/her...ustom_kurz%206mm.htm

Nice!!!

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote