THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    458 Lott by Dennis Olsen and Jim Kobe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott by Dennis Olsen and Jim Kobe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a bad memory. I bought the metal work from a forum member in Australia. Funds went to help his injured PH in Mozambique I believe. I sent the metal work to Jim Kobe to stock. Wood came from James Anderson. It was built off of a VZ-24.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us about the sights and stock shape if you would? I am currently trying to figure out the best way to shoot open sights in a bolt gun.
The stock looks as though it has some drop in it. The sight looks like a ghost ring/peep. What distance could you shoot accurately to? Why not express sights?

Beautiful gun!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the metalwork as completed by Dennis Olsen. I had no say, but I like it. I do not know where the sight came from. The drop in the stock is right for me. I've dry fired it only.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The geometry looks perfect.

Thanks

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I saw that one in Jim Kobe's shop.
Its a great looking rifle.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I can't tell, is the checkering flat top? For some reason, flat top checkering just makes me smile.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I bought the metalwork as completed by Dennis Olsen. I had no say, but I like it. I do not know where the sight came from. The drop in the stock is right for me. I've dry fired it only.

That was my barreled action(I sold it to a OZhunter, but he did not take possession and instead sold it to fund his PH's recovery from a buffalo injury).

I planned it out and had Dennis build it to my specs. I'm glad that you like it.
beer

I had the work done by Dennis Olson. It is a VZ24 with a Wisner/PME bottom metal. The barrel is Shillen(5a if I remember correctly). The bolt handle and barrel band are talley. The front sight is NECG and the rear sight is an "XS" brand.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

That was my barreled action(I sold it to a OZhunter, but he did not take possession and instead sold it to fund his PH's recovery from a buffalo injury).

I planned it out and had Dennis build it to my specs. I'm glad that you like it.
beer

I had the work done by Dennis Olson. It is a VZ24 with a Wisner/PME bottom metal. The barrel is Shillen(5a if I remember correctly). The bolt handle and barrel band are talley. The front sight is NECG and the rear sight is an "XS" brand.

If you wouldn't mind, tell us about your decision to go with the xs rear instead of an express.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a handsome rifle. Metal work looks superb and the stock is a real keeper.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have metalwork being finished up at Griffin & Howe now on an Oberndorf 375 H&H, and it will be heading to Kobe's shop shortly.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Butch, another awesome rifle, thank you for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, Forgive me as My old man mind is not as it used to be. I think your decisions on the metal is great. Kobe did a nice job on the stock . Checkering is not fl;at top, but it is on my James Anderson Enfield "1917" in 416 Rigby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! I love the peep sight and metal work as a whole. Did you take the photos? They're excellent!

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle Butch...Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful, nice pics too :-)

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever open up a post like this, love the rifle and start looking for a price, only to realize you are in the custom rifle section and not the classifieds!

A beauty.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I am proud of it. I had a young friend do my photography. He has slowly been working through my rifles. You need good photos for insurance and it helps in selling one if, God forbid, that time comes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, I am proud of it. I had a young friend do my photography. He has slowly been working through my rifles. You need good photos for insurance and it helps in selling one if, God forbid, that time comes.

That's a great idea. You've shown me that there's a lot of room for growth in my photography skills and equipment Smiler

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle . . . I like the look of the peep.

Mike

Posts: 21361 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
quote:

That's a great idea. You've shown me that there's a lot of room for growth in my photography skills and equipment Smiler

I still use my Brownie Hawkeye with 620 film.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very crisp Butch. The bottom metal reminds me of Tom Burgesses bottom metal. Do you have a photo showing the underside of it? Is that bottom metal still available for purchase?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Very crisp Butch. The bottom metal reminds me of Tom Burgesses bottom metal. Do you have a photo showing the underside of it? Is that bottom metal still available for purchase?

Jason contracted the metal work. He said it was Wisner/PME bottom metal

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
tu2

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Superb! Especially the sights!

There is one problem, though.... it's not mine Frowner

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple elegance in spades.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Beautiful rifle . . . I like the look of the peep.

Read my mind. Really classy.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

beer

If you wouldn't mind, tell us about your decision to go with the xs rear instead of an express.

Perry

Ghost ring peep sights are faster than express sights. Because the XS sight is a very rugged unit I didn't see the need for a backup sighting system. The XS is also fully adjustable for elevation and windage.

I picked basic, understated components. Dennis Olson worked his usual magic on the metal. Kobe's woodwork is outstanding. All of that aside, Butch deserves all the credit for his outstanding taste in bringing all of it together. Well done!

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice rig Butch. Very sleek. Dandy wood too.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Your rifle turned out beautiful Butch.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a hunting rifle! Love it! Do you happen to know the weight of the rifle and the barrel length?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry, your phone number still good?

It is around 10lbs and a 24" barrel.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
a 24" barrel.

I think it is 23"(maybe 22.625"). I usually go for oddball lengths.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, you would know better and I didn't put a yardstick on it.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Terry, your phone number still good?

It is around 10lbs and a 24" barrel.

Yeah, same number. Give me a call.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle ! Great caliber also.

Now go shoot something with it. Wink

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
That is a beautiful rifle ! Great caliber also.

Now go shoot something with it. Wink

Sure needs to be in your part of the World.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Great to see this rifle turned out so well.
I originally purchased the Metal work to build it up for Zim friend Stu Taylor but sadly due to his predicament I figured $$$ would be more needed.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Great to see this rifle turned out so well.
I originally purchased the Metal work to build it up for Zim friend Stu Taylor but sadly due to his predicament I figured $$$ would be more needed.

You are a kind and generous person.