New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge traps, anyone...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, why don't you tell us what you do like, (or post a photo) instead of taking a steaming shit all over everyone else's ideas?

Happy New Year.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
The beauty of a custom rifle is that you can have built anyway you like.

The beauty of these forums is that you criticize the way others had their rifles built Cool

It's all good.

Happy new year to all.
Terry

Constructive criticism and differences of opinion are what make this forum interesting. Personal preferences and opinions expressed as absolute truths don't help anything...

My bad. I thought we were building this rifle for Chuck. Wink

My apologies. I've never known Idaho Sshooter to turn up his nose at anyone else's choice of rifle blueprint.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joking aside, on my part anyway.
My best friend loves old German rifles, the more gadgets and "stuff" on them the better. He has a break open single shot 9.3x74 made for Kaiser Wilhelm that has so many add-ons it does everything but give you oral sex.
I look at a Rigby in .275 he has and see the beauty of simplicity.
It's just a matter of what appeals to the individual.
It's also why when I go to help him build or repair something, I say " you go build a jig, while I get this done".

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The beauty of a custom rifle is that you can have built anyway you like.

The beauty of these forums is that you criticize the way others had their rifles built Cool

It's all good.

Happy new year to all.
Terry

Constructive criticism and differences of opinion are what make this forum interesting. Personal preferences and opinions expressed as absolute truths don't help anything...

My bad. I thought we were building this rifle for Chuck. Wink

My apologies. I've never known Idaho Sshooter to turn up his nose at anyone else's choice of rifle blueprint.

That post was only in good humor.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured Chuck was just messin' with me.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
sounds like the words of someone is not shot a rifle that kicks hard enough to slam the stock mounted stud into their hand....ouch!!
quote:
quote:
quote:
...barrel band (useless)...

They come in sorta handy if you want to want to carry your rifle lower by attaching the front sling forward of the end of the stock. But then I guess you might consider a sling useless, ugly extra weight too?

A sling does in part become useless when attached to the barrel.

Yes they have application. But I have shot some pretty big thumpers with sling swivel studs attached to for ends. They were built by guys that actually hunt and shoot so they knew where to put them.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, but I watched a gentleman shoot my old Ruger 77 in 458 Win Mag, and the third shot, that sling swivel recoiled back across his index finger and removed a 45 caliber strip of skin. He bled like a stuck hog, and ended up at the ER for about a dozen stitches.

Since then, barrel band is my choice. My old gunsmith showed me how to make them, and barrel band front sights as well.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Perhaps, but I watched a gentleman shoot my old Ruger 77 in 458 Win Mag, and the third shot, that sling swivel recoiled back across his index finger and removed a 45 caliber strip of skin. He bled like a stuck hog, and ended up at the ER for about a dozen stitches.

Since then, barrel band is my choice. My old gunsmith showed me how to make them, and barrel band front sights as well.

Yes they have their place as I've stated already. But that doesn't make them a necessity on every custom rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm hunting through brush, the rifle is in my hands, with the sling off. It makes no difference if it's Africa, alaska or in the back of my own property.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Talk about thread drift!! Confused I thought this was about a fellow thinking about adding a cartridge trap to a custom gun he was building?

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is some of my reloading room etc because they were handy. Your turn.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, yeah!

Damn nice place!

I love Alberta!

You will never see Rich post a photo of anything.

There was a void between the time he didn't spend in Vietnam and his assent to old bitchy man with a cane that has been lost the annuls of history forever.

I refer to this period as the time Rich was abducted by aliens, and heavily probed.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I've been looking at your posts Chucky, and for the life of me I can't find where you have contributed anything positive to the discussion.

A normal person would have some evidence based on anecdotal experience to lend support to their expressed opinion.

We do not even know if you are an adult, or some Jr High student enjoying some attention from the adults. How about sharing a few pictures with your rifles and some big game harvested...?

Care to share pictures of your rifles, or results of your trips to Africa or elsewhere with us?

For an example:

I want barrel band sling swivels on all of my rifles for two reasons.

1. the 458 story I related.
2. they allow you to position the muzzle 6-8 inches lower when carrying the rifle hunting. The three trips I have made to Africa I found moving thru the jess easier, as well as the transition from the sling to shouldering the rifle much easier and faster.

Have you formulated a differing opinion based on your hunting trips outside the Great Frozen North?

I would expect that you have made a few, based on your intrusion into a DGR thread.

You do have some DGR rifles, correct?

take care,

Rich

Where did you go Rich?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, you are on line. Do you have any pictures? Fair is fair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have some great looking mounts Chuck!

I am thinking the most accurate post in this whole thread is from M4220 when he says this has "thread drift"ed.

In my opinion way to much pissers

I have deleted my earlier post

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

you have my apology. I posted pictures of my three trips to Africa when I got back, and of my trophies when they came back from the taxidermists. They're here somewhere in the Africa forums.

Don't pay too much attention to big wonderful wyoming, the Kalifornia resident. He considers himself some sort of wonderful.

I am still curious though, why the aversion to the custom add ons.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO they detract from the rifle, add unnecessary weight, and really, in most cases, serve no real beneficial function.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these years I thought that covered hole in back of my M14 was for the cleaning kit. shocker

Why in tarnation have I been carrying extra magazines when I could have just stuck a few rounds in that hole. dancing

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did this deteriorate into such a pissing contest?? The man asked a simple question..

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooksey
climate change, it's the cause of everything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I deal with criticism poorly. But I am mellowing with age...