THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Which military 98 for open sight sporter in 7x57
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which military 98 for open sight sporter in 7x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of getting an open site classily styled Mauser 98. Would use for big game practice and still hunting within 100-150 yds.
Really thinking military Barrelled action dropped in sporter walnut stock. Probably keep original except for upgraded irons. What is best variant to look for. Sub $500?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously one made in 7 x 57, of which there aren't that many in the 98 action.

I don't know the answer to your question (best variant under $500), but if I was going to do what you want to do I'd go with an 8mm mauser that is somewhat more readily available, like the VZ-24. You will, of course, want to reload for it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of doing just what you want to do. Bought 2 1908 Brazilian Mausers in 7x57. Had one rebarreled with a Douglas 7x57 barrel, I think it has a 26" barrel. Project was put on the back burner for a few years, now out of the safe and working on it. I have a set of British "Express" style sights, one standing and 3 folding. Will have a barrel band front sight and barrel band swivel. Will be a pretty "plain" rifle with no drilling or tapping as it will strictly be for open sights. The nice thing about the Brazilian, is it was 7x57 to begin with, so feeding was not an issue. Will be using the original trigger guard/magazine box, safety and trigger. Might get a new bolt handle installed, or just cut and weld the original, not sure yet.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I am going to be doing one on a small ring 98. Will do it with a blind mag.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
1910 Mexican Mauser
1935 Brazilian
1935 Chilean
1933-34 "post office" Oberndorf
VZ24
G33-40 or VZ33

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Obviously one made in 7 x 57

Why?

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 24/47 Yugo's are cheap, plentiful and nearly new. Boyds makes a decent stock. The 8MM is a good round. I have a cheap pistol scope mounted on the back site fixture and it shoots 1.5 at a 100 Meters... Ya want a egg in your beer..

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
quote:
Obviously one made in 7 x 57

Why?

Because the title of his post is "Open sight sporter in 7 x 57". In his post he states "military barreled action" that he would probably keep "original". I would assume that means the original barrel. And if he wants to change the original barrel and isn't going to do the work himself $500 for everything doesn't get you much these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stumbled across a 7x57 barrel on eBay. It is 29" long with Belgian proof marks. It doesn't appear to have ever been used. I installed it on a 1937 military Mauser action and am trying to decide if I want an island rear sight or a peep sight. It will have a trim B style sported stock when I get around to it. In the last year I've seen at least one other barrel like mine on eBay. I believe you can find a suitable barrel from Lothar Walther. Any 98 action for an 8mm should work fine. Have fun with your search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After continuing my search I think I am opening up to other chamberings. May consider 8mm, 30-06, 35 whelen etc. just needs to be something with factory ammo available.
Military barrel is not important. I am more interested in an action that has not been messed with/messed up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Factory" 8 mm Mauser ammo is anemic!
Find a buddy who reloads and buy him a set of 8mm Mauser dies.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Factory" 8 mm Mauser ammo is anemic!
Find a buddy who reloads and buy him a set of 8mm Mauser dies.

Search for Austin Hunter's post on his custom 8x57 rifle and his reloading data.

Wow! My next Elk cartridge for the dark timber!!!

Posts: 1453 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I still have a ton of 8mm Portuguese 198 grain Ss ball that is hardly anemic. But US factory stuff is loaded lightly.
But the OP wants only factory ammo.

Posts: 17118 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I just clocked some 8mm factory loads and got the following out of my 1934 RC 98 Standard Modell:
S&B 196 grain.............2530 fps
Hornady 196 grain.........2340 fps
Prvi 196 grain............2180 fps

The S&B was a giant step over the anemic Remingchesteral 32 Special-like stuff.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I have my action narrowed down to a vz24 or a gew98. At same price, is one better than other? My cartridge choice has been narrowed down to 7x57 or 9.3x62.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the choice between the VZ-24 and the gew98, I would opt for the VZ-24.

7X57 or 8X57: close your eyes and pick one. Both will serve you well for your close range open sight hunting parameters.

Again within those parameters, there's nothing wrong with "anemic" 8mm domestic factory ammo. In fact, for my hunting in the thick woods when I carry an 8mm sporter I use handloads that duplicate factory performance levels. Very pleasant to shoot, very accurate, and kill with alacrity. If I were to build another 8X57 and had in mind long range hunting and/or gunning for big stuff I would alter my design/handloading parameters to include a scope and ammo that would be more suitable for that.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 is one of the greatest cartridges that ever came down the pike.

I do, however, prefer the 7x57. So close to the .270, with the right loads, there is no real world difference.

I also find the slight recoil from the 7x57 is noticeably less than that of the 8x57. That is with 175 grainers in the 7x57 and 180 or 196 grainers in the 8x57.

If no heavy game is in your future, by all means opt for the 7x57. It has served well since 1892 at any task it has undertaken.
FWIW - You might consider a 1908 Brazilian Mauser. They are chambered in 7x57 and you might find the original Mauser barrel will be accurate enough to stay with the rifle.

The trend in using military Mausers is to keep adding and adding to the rifle until the original premise of a reasonable cost accurate military rifle is left 100's or even 1000's of dollars behind.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I found a 7 X 57 BRNO in great condition to use in CMP matches. They're out there you just need to look around for a while.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one built up, only needs to be checkered I guess, its a 30-06 and shoots into a postage stamp size group. If you interested give me a call.

Ideally a custom rifle in 7x57 should be on the small ring G33-40..I am building such a rifle for myself as we speak, never built one for myself and its time. I have a awesome near black piece of Russian walnut been saving it for years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson. I to am building a 7x57 on a G33-40. Are you going to have yours reheat treated? Mine checks 25RC. Thanks