New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 A square on Enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Kind of new ground for me. Never did an Enfield leaving the bolt handle and safety intact...and always have just completely replaced the tang....but have to admit there's a sort of gnarly quality here.

Had one only integral box bottom metal I did way back. Happened to fit the big A Square perfectly and holds three down. Weight empty is 10 pounds and one ounce.

The tang and bolt release REALLY needed some attention without breaking the bank., photos show my best effort.

This rifle will see heavy lifetime use in Zimbabwe

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, thanks for posting these pictures.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It looks awesome! Can’t wait to shoot it and get it ready to export to Zim. This will be Nigel Theisen’s new daily carry. The ammo will most likely be RL-15 pushing a 570 gr CEB brass flat-point solid to 2150 fps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36537 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane that is fantastic. Nigel will put it to good use and Lane will handle the ammo!

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice - but I love a well done Enfield.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Duane, thanks for posting these pictures.

WEll...I post photos the easy way.... Give them to Abby ans they magically appear on the forum.

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... don't know if one could build a better looking "big stick"! Love it. I would have to get use to that bolt though... was it ergonomically designed for that big safety?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat with a sports figure being interviewed...."Well..ya know, I don't know, ya know"

Perhaps some Enfield history buff can enlighted both of us

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Just curious, is it still cock on closing or did you modify it to cock on opening?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well, not my style, but it's superbly done.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Just curious, is it still cock on closing or did you modify it to cock on opening?

No..left as is...Guerss you get used to it.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:

No..left as is...Guerss you get used to it.

He may have grown up with one.

I have a 1917 Enfield that way, it doesn’t bother me a bit. But my first rifle when I was a kid was a 93 Mauser and still have a 96 also. Cock on close is just different but no big deal.

I guess the cartridge choice will answer the often repeated line that the dogleg bolt handle hits your hand during recoil.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thank you for showing the 1917 Enfield action so much respect -- even leaving the flaming bomb stamp.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...a stamp, crest, etc really neds to be left alone in most cases. The heritage would othrwise be in doubt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a huge enfield fan, but this was tastefully executed. What's the plan with the rear pic rail?

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice. I say ya did your best with what you had DW, stock safety and all. The path for the safety appendage in the stock was well designed & executed and nice choice on the wood.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't kick 'er out of bed for eating crackers!

I like it a bunch!

Thanks Duane,

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Nicely done....Love the big Enfields, nothing wrong with the safety's, doglegs or cock on closing.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Not a huge enfield fan, but this was tastefully executed. What's the plan with the rear pic rail?

Client wanted the optin of relocation So...might as well make it as close to "sighted in and ready to go"" as possible

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Love the long open grip on a boomer!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep..A tracing of his larger hands and taking recoil into account sort of dictates the grip confiuration

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle for sure.

So that one started as a '14 or a '17?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a 17..delivery postponed...owner has decided to go with cock on opening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good solid working rifle.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Just looked at the 'boomer' again for the 5th time. Guess I like the lines. As for the quick view, it's growing on me simply because it's a good idea. Happy buildin'.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Nice rifle! I have two 1917 Enfields, 404J and 35W, built on them. I left the bolt handles and everything intact except the bolt release - these were turned back in with the tab removed. I agree that is something cool about the old gnarly setup. I love the safety - cams into the firing pin and locks the bolt in place with plunger at the same time. You helped me with a feeding issue on my 404J and did a proper follower for me back 2014. I also used your bottom metals. I've since built a new magazine and now have 5 proper rounds down vs the original 4! I 3D printed a negative mold of the original Mauser magazine dimensions and used that to form the metal around. The only regret I have on both rifles was changing to cock on open. I wish I had left cock on close. But I can cycle my 404 from the shoulder qickly - my PH said it sounds like I'm shooting a double I'm so quick on the 2nd shot.

Question: What bases are those? I have Talleys on mine now and have wanted to fit a front red dot as backup like you have. At this point I'm thinking of modifying a Talley - milling it flat and adapting to Trijicon red dot (the one that uses tritium and light pipe). But looks like you might have a better setup?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry . Realize I did not answer your question. I made those bases here in the shop. Cient wanted the option to move the optic from ring to bridge. Might as well have them as close to same height as possible.

Could not find suitable bases (or blanks)....and then, what you could find seem to all be made out of aluminum.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle!
I always leave them cock on closing; There is absolutely nothing wrong with that system; the British designed it that way for a reason. To place the primary extraction and cocking motions and efforts, in different places on the bolt cycle.
It is not broken; American shooters are just spoiled and untrained.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Very nice rifle!
I always leave them cock on closing; There is absolutely nothing wrong with that system; the British designed it that way for a reason. To place the primary extraction and cocking motions and efforts, in different places on the bolt cycle.
It is not broken; American shooters are just spoiled and untrained.

Absolutely agree with the cock on closing concept. That is why the 303 Lee Enfield (SMLE) was the best battle rifle of all time with a cycle time quicker than any other battle bolt rifle. All bolt lift effort goes into primary extraction with cocking becoming part of the already strong feeding effort on closing of the bolt. Under enemy fire or a departing or charging animal the cock on closing bolt can be worked hard and fast with the cocking effort hardly noticeable.

Apart from various SMLE's I have used, my Schultz and Larsen M60 7x61 was cock on closing and even being a lefty I could cycle that rifle real fast to take multiple animals from a mob.

Shame to alter that M17 from cock on closing.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I'm sorry . Realize I did not answer your question. I made those bases here in the shop. Cient wanted the option to move the optic from ring to bridge. Might as well have them as close to same height as possible.

Could not find suitable bases (or blanks)....and then, what you could find seem to all be made out of aluminum.

Thanks! Looked custom. Was thinking about seeing if I could make a base that could adapt to a Talley.

I had to tweak my ammo on both cock on open Enfield conversions. On the 404, just needed to uniform all of the primer pockets as I had inconsistent ignition - assumed the hard cci primer was being pushed deeper. Not sure, but uniforming fixed it 100%. On the 35 Whelen, had to go with a soft primer (Fed 210). I uniformed the pocket, but the shots were all over the target. Switched to Fed 210s and shot a clover leaf. Never seen anything like it before.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The reason your rifle would not fire after a COO conversion is that they did not make the cocking cam on the bolt longer. They probably just used the existing primary extraction cam which results in a very short FP fall, and consequent misfires. I wasn't your primers, nor your brass. It was the guy who did the conversion. Misguided attempts to improve something that was perfect to start with. You have to weld up the cam and make it longer; something many so called gun smiths can't, or don't want to do.
Another reason, to leave them alone!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't actually tried it..but wonder if making the cocking notch longer (modify existing notch) ...maybe .060 or so?

Of course,pay attention to FP protrusion

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the way to do it. Has nothing to do with FP protrusion.
This is why the cock on opening conversions use such strong springs.
It's totally a waste of time and money to fix something that works perfectly well as it is. You Americans never cease to amaze me.
The bolt on the bottom has been welded up to make the cocking cam longer; thereby increasing the FP fall. Still, nonsense..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks..I have a fire damaged bolt..think I'll try it. Proptrusion comment is beause if notch is me deeper, FP will protrude further

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, but the notch forward location does not change; it is welded and extended to the raar.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason your rifle would not fire after a COO conversion is that they did not make the cocking cam on the bolt longer. They probably just used the existing primary extraction cam which results in a very short FP fall, and consequent misfires. I wasn't your primers, nor your brass. It was the guy who did the conversion. Misguided attempts to improve something that was perfect to start with. You have to weld up the cam and make it longer; something many so called gun smiths can't, or don't want to do.
Another reason, to leave them alone!

Agree. Should have left COC. Anyway, everything works perfect now with the adjustments I made on the cartridges. Taken an elephant and 2 buffalo with the 404 - not a worry in the world on reliability.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Look over on the Gunsmmithing section; I have made stocks for the Rem 600. Laminated walnut and beech.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right, but the notch forward location does not change; it is welded and extended to the raar.

Obviously Enfield FP springs do not 'bottom out' as they are compressed more with extended cocking cams?

Judging by your images the cam is extended rearward by about 1/4"?

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Realize that you aren't actually increasing the FP fall over what the original cock on closing system provided. That striker fall distance is plenty and is totally adequate for reliable ignition.
You are just increasing the FP travel over what just using the primary extraction cam to cock it, provides.
That is not enough for reliable ignition.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
A shout out to Duane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36537 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote