New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting commission
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A very close friend has asked me to produce a rifle. Not do the actual work, but act as an architect might. That is, do the design, select components, hire contractors and assure quality. Without going into detail, I believe I am qualified to do this, and to do it well. For example, I intend to unabashedly exploit you kind and patient souls here on AR for your continuing advice.

The budget is $5000, and he wants wood, so a best quality stock from a custom stock maker is out of the question.

His battery consists of 3 Sako L61's, or at least I think that is the proper nomenclature. They are: 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 375 H & H. The 7mm has suffered a broken stock and is now in a Bell & Carlson. He is unhappy with the accuracy (about 1-3/4 MOA). This new rifle is for deer and elk in the Western states.

I am doing the basic design now. I can use the Sako 7mm action, or something else. I am inclined to use the Sako because:
-It is well made and elegant.
-It will match his battery.
-He is well-disposed to it.
-I can buy a used or NOS Sako stock for far less than the cost of even a mediocre custom.

Questions to you:
-Is the Sako a good choice?
-Does anyone know what the lock time is on this action? I have one and it seems slow. I've found data for several actions, but not for this one.

This should be fun. Care to join me?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's your new stock. They have several duplicates and factory originals.

http://customshopinc.com/product-category/gunstocks/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
L61's are kind of the premium Sako action.

The Australians are absolutely nuts over them.

Lock time smock time. I don't think it matters much for what you are after.

The caliber should probably be 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Winchester.

I'd use a Bartlein or Benchmark barrel.

Google Bugholes they have tons of barrels in stock.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lock time smock time. I don't think it matters much for what you are after

tu2 +1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd contact Jim Kobe and tell him what you have and what you can afford. It will need a new barrel and a good stock.

Good wood is expensive and labor is not free but there are some good rifle builders around here. Surely one of them can help you out. I have handled Jim Kobe's work and it is very good.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
The budget is $5000, and he wants wood, so a best quality stock from a custom stock maker is out of the question.

If I were in your shoes I would have the action rebarreled and then send the barreled action, along with a $1,000 stock blank, to Chic Worthing.

He posts here as Customstox.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

If I were in your shoes I would have the action rebarreled and then send the barreled action, along with a $1,000 stock blank, to Chic Worthing.

He posts here as Customstocks.

Is Chic still around?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen him post since mid 2015

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Chic let his FFL expire.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting project, I look forward to hearing more about it, and maybe seeing some photos!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found and purchased an L61 Dlx on Gunbroker. The Sako being replaced is a Dlx 7 Rem Mag with broken stock. The rifle should arrive tomorrow. The Dlx had some machine engraving on the floor plate and trigger guard, forend tip and grip cap, and skip line checkering. Most had light colored wood, a bit garish for my taste. The rifle purchased has fairly dark wood. The customer/friend wants the rifle for this season, so time is tight. We'll use the Sako stock for now.

My challenge right now is mounts. The sleek Warne Maxima rings that fit the Sako dovetails are no longer made. Talleys are nice, but require Talley bases and so are a bit higher. I'd give my left nut to get a pair of Maximas, if anyone has a pair. There are others on the market, but they tend to be ungainly in appearance.

Guess I'll have to learn to post pics.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't let this go without giving credit where it is due. The Sako L61R arrived yesterday, but the stock had been shortened by a full inch. I called the proprietor of The Gun Room in Jacksonville, TX. and proposed an adjustment. He agreed instantly! No BS. No argument. He apologized for not catching the problem. The Gun Room does a lot of biz on Gunbroker. Might be a good outfit to use if you want to buy or sell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found and purchased an L61 Dlx on Gunbroker. The Sako being replaced is a Dlx 7 Rem Mag with broken stock. The rifle should arrive tomorrow. The Dlx had some machine engraving on the floor plate and trigger guard, forend tip and grip cap, and skip line checkering. Most had light colored wood, a bit garish for my taste. The rifle purchased has fairly dark wood. The customer/friend wants the rifle for this season, so time is tight. We'll use the Sako stock for now.

My challenge right now is mounts. The sleek Warne Maxima rings that fit the Sako dovetails are no longer made. Talleys are nice, but require Talley bases and so are a bit higher. I'd give my left nut to get a pair of Maximas, if anyone has a pair. There are others on the market, but they tend to be ungainly in appearance.

Guess I'll have to learn to post pics.

I guess I don't understand why you didn't use the 7mm L61 he is unhappy with. Why buy a new rifle/action when you already had one and could turn a pig's ear into a silk purse with it?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Warne Maxima for SAKO dovetails,NOT QD,30mm,Med height,if that helps.PN 14SM.kimroux7@wmconnect.com

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shooter wanted to use the stock this season, maybe permanently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,
You're right, but...

His existing L61 was a gift from a favorite uncle and he wanted to keep it as is. Money no object. Go figure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 5,000 budget, I wouldn't waste money on wood. In fact, I wouldn't use wood at all. I used to be a bit of a snob about that, but once I started to view a custom hunting rifle as a tool, I began to appreciate the upper end synthetic stocks. Save you a ton of money. More durable. More reliable bedding. Others may disagree.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The customer wants wood. Plus, he wants a Sako Dlx stock with the skip line checkering, rosewood forend and grip cap, etc. The customer is always right, ergo.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might give Roger Biesen, son of Al Biesen, a call over in Spokane, Brice, and see what he has to say.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote