New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any 358 Winchester Mauser out there. Large or small ring? Any feeding issues. Thinking of doing one? Any pictures or advice helpful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built one on a Yugo 24/47 and it worked just fine. Mine seems to feed just fine.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one I had built on an Interarms Mk X action. feeds the 358 just fine. Extraction is a bit weak though.
I'm using the 200 gr Hornady Interlock with a nice load of Imr 4064. I took a small axis with it at 130 yards with a 1" exit hole and very little meat damage.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few actions that I could use. 1932 Peruvian; 1909 Argentine or a 1936 Mexican. I got 1909 bottom metal with a Wisner straddle floor plate..would work with the 1932 and the 1909.

Any thoughts?

Great cartridge for whitetail in heavy bush?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is built on a 1937 Oberndorf 98 military action with the Portuguese crest on the receiver ring, one of a set of three identical rifles built in the early '70's in caliber .260 Remington (6.5X.308, as we called it then), .308 and .358. It feeds fine with no alteration to the action, as do the other two.

My only comment about the caliber is "Don't use the 250 grain Silvertip on deer." I did, and it went straight through without opening up at all. The deer in question went about 150 yards before piling up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen two Mexican Mauser's done on 308 size cases. One was actually in 308 and the other 358 and both fed beautifully. The 358 utilized the action length quite well as the 250 gr. bullets could be seated out properly just relying on the neck-length and didn't intrude into the main case and still didn't require any magazine lengthening. It would seem like a great choice. Good luck,

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 335 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using it on deer sized game, I suggest the 200 gr. Hornady RN bullets. They will expand properly and shot well in my gun.

I used a .358 as my deer rifle for years and have shot a fair amount of game with one.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've built two .358's on Turkish Mauser actions. I did put a magazine spacer in them since these are not normal .358's. These are Indiana deer legal .358 Hoosier rifles. Take a .358 Win, shorten it to 1.8" max case length and push the shoulder back the same amount. A ridiculous thing to have to do, but it has created a nice cottage industry here.

Anyway, they feed slick as a whistle with very little rail work.

Best bullet IMO is the 180gr Barnes. It will go end to end through a deer.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote