New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas on checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to collect some ideas on different checkering styles/types/patterns - mullered borders, fleur de lis, skip line, whatever. Show me what you like/dislike and help me get some ideas. thnx

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Find a copy of Monte Kennedys book for some good patterns. The next checkering pattern I have done is going to be originally done by Leonard Mews. I like multi point designs.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Lots of nice checkering to look at here: http://hallowellco.com/gallery...er%20the%20years.htm

Lots of different patterns to look at in Kennedy's book too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
Lots of nice checkering to look at here: http://hallowellco.com/gallery...er%20the%20years.htm

Lots of different patterns to look at in Kennedy's book too.

Thanks Evan, I'll check out the site. What is the name of Kennedy's book?

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setch:
Thanks Evan, I'll check out the site. What is the name of Kennedy's book?

Checkering & Carving of Gunstocks, by Monty Kennedy. On Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Checkeri...ennedy/dp/0811706303

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perfect...thnx

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have always had very specific ideas on what checkering looked 'good'. It is my belief that the simpler the pattern with the fewest points almost always looks best. I prefer mullered borders for the skill they take,absolutely hate ANY fluer-de-lis patterns and rather liked a FEW ribbons in a pattern. Do not like either coarse or ultra fine patterns. Prefer pointed to flat topped to the point of just ignoring flat top. Just as I don't think the figure in a stock should overpower the grain flow, and checkering should never over power the total shape of a stock neither do I think the checkering should be so fancy as to over power all. I personally never learned to checker but Louis M'Race taught me to carve oak leaves with great skill which I often did on a stock if requested. Other wise I sent it out for checkering as the customer desired. Decoration is a very personal thing on a firearm.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I found a thread on Leonard Mews that shows some of his work. I must have been bitten by the retro bug because on my next customs I will use patterns by Mews,Goens,and Stegall. I like Mews because his point patterns look uncommon to me,whether true or not,I just want my next rifles to be what I really like. That's not to say my others aren't but I usually tell the stockmaker that I want a point pattern and use his best judgement. This time I'll go a different direction.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...Number=318130&page=1

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member