THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Anyone have any pictures of Darcy Echols Wood stock rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any pictures of Darcy Echols Wood stock rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen a lot of legends but never a wood stock rifle pic.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
As you can see, incredible attention to detail and he's not afraid to share his artistic side either.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care who you are, that is funny! (To paraphrase Larry) clap

Posts: 1649 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post

Here is the grand Pooba himself working on a stock for a 505 Gibbs that he finished last year and has already accounted for at least one elephant.

I think the rainbow colored drawing in front of his nose is the template for one of the inlays

Below is a different stock. its obvious that he doesn't plan on any of them ever coming apart

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to be the pickiest person alive, and I don't believe anything man made can be perfect. But D'Arcy's stock work, close up and in your hands, sure looks it.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See the attached link from the BigBore forum on my rifle as well as the .505 pictured above.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...001061221#6001061221

He does Damn Nice work!

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those that don't know this, D'Arcy started out as a stockmaker, that was his original speciality. My understanding was he went into full rifle building because so few metalsmiths could meet his standards.

I love the back of that cheekpiece on the first stock he's working on, that little S shape, however slight, adds so much to the line. really beautiful.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some more? the first couple you might recognize as I've shown before, a 416 Echols Burgess collaboration.

A 270

one of us
posted Hide Post
a 264 and a 257, checkout the lines on the 257, how gorgeous can a stock get?!

I don't know who's initials are on this one, but I bet mine would look better!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for the amazing pictures. Do they get to go hunting?

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find a couple of these photos very interesting in light of a thread that I participated in a few weeks ago.

I had posted a photo or two of a David Miller Rifle that was made from a Mauser action. Many of the posters didn't like two things about his Mauser rifles.

1. that the rear bridge was shortened such that the extractor was fully exposed on the bolt.

2. that the thumb slot was covered up by wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred Wells custom actions, are also known to have the rear of the extractor exposed.
Considering he made everything from scratch,he had the option top make a longer extractor if he deemed it necessary.
I guessn he knew his stuff.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
For those that don't know this, D'Arcy started out as a stockmaker, that was his original speciality. My understanding was he went into full rifle building because so few metalsmiths could meet his standards.

I believe D'Arcy has stated(on this site IIRC) that he got into metal work when he realized how much more business there was for metalsmiths as compared to stockmakers.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I found it:

quote:
DArcy_Echols_Co
one of us

Posted 17 May 2004 16:51 Hide Post
In the begining I started my business with a very strong emphasis towards stock making, stock duplicating and rust bluing. I soon found out that good metalsmiths were buried with work and I couldn't predict when I'd get any metal to stock. I needed to eat on a regular basis so I began my own metalwork out of survival. Today I send a limited amount of work out of my shop on a regular basis to be done to my specs by those who can do it better than I can. In the end this is a win, win situation for the client and it keeps the ball rolling while I'm doing what I do best. I have had the pleasure to work with many of todays best craftsman such as those mentioned before and others such as Bob Schniedmiller, Bret Wursten, Steve Heilmann, Gene Simillion, Duane Bolden, John Sones, David Wilson, Mitch Moschetti, Mark Penrod and have talked at length with folks such as Clay Spencer, Bruce Baer, Martin Hagn, Jim Borden, David Trevallion, Bill Shehane and a host of other gunmakers here, from the UK and from Europe.Some work only in metal, some in wood, some in fiber glass and some like Shehane only organize a project and then spank everybody with what he has orchestrated on the 1000 yard firing line. But from each of these talents you can get a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. You then try to apply what they consider vauable into your own work when and where it's applicable.I guess the point of all this is to find a niche you enjoy and strive to excel in it. Often this means putting your head in the ditch and ass in the air.

I prefer to assemble the entire rifle. This has both good and bad aspects. You get to bathe in the all the glory when things go well and conversely take a beating when things go down the toilet. When your name is on the barrel you have no one to blame as you are the company.

There is nobody I know that has screwed up as much stuff as I have. The upside to failure is education. When you do the whole project you get a solid education in a very short amount of time or you get very hungry. For some reason I still seem to flunk out on the night classes.

When you're doing the whole box of dice you never find the day boring. Long, but never boring. Sort of like fishing for Great Whites with a hand line.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Jason, I stand, actually sit, correct (although standing is much better for my back, but I can't type for crap if i'm standing).

They get to go hunting, and in fact are very effective partly because the game comes closer to admire the craftsmanship, then WHAM!!! Big Grin

505 Gibbs

416 and one tough looking dugga boy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also intend to take my .505 on hunts. This year in Mozambique for Buffalo and to Botswana in 2012 for Elephants.

I hope to be smiling as much as Tony is in the above post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really wish D'Arcy would get a website up and running...! I have heard rumors about one but thats it....

Other than his Legends you don't see to many of D'Arcy's rifles. What a shame! I for one would love to see more of his work most especially his walnut stocked rifles.....

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, thanks for the pictures, rifles such as those look at their best out in the field.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:

Other than his Legends you don't see to many of D'Arcy's rifles. What a shame! I for one would love to see more of his work most especially his walnut stocked rifles.....

Best,
Dave

Unlike so many other high dollar "safe-queens", when you do see D'Arcy's rifle they are usually in the hands of a serious hunter.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Very nice!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unlike so many other high dollar "safe-queens", when you do see D'Arcy's rifle they are usually in the hands of a serious hunter.

If I had one in my safe she would be a Queen but I would hunt the hell out of her!

one of us
posted Hide Post
and for those of you that worry over whether or not you can have your single shot done.

Is it just me or is this lion a monster?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great quality stocks but those lines just don't do it for me. Now English style stocks......

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the ones that are big enough to see the quality of the inletting around the metal work.

I'm not a stockmaker so not an expert on what is which style or era. I think the american stocks saw some bad years with more closed grips, rollovers, montecarlos etc. there are still leftover atrocities (I have a couple in my safe). I like the open grip on this one, also the cheekpiece, this one has that little S shape to the back line, if I have a cheekpiece it's gonna need that touch, it really adds something

D'Arcy also seems to have a signature on the outer petal of his fleur de lis' as well, they come off a bit more reserved versus how sometimes you see fluer de lis and they just dominate a pattern. (IMO)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

that is one BEAUTIFUL rifle there ! anyone who doesn't like the looks of that better have their damn head examined.... Wink

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a closeup of the hagn

and something for left handers to drool over, the rifle and the game.

and I admire a hunter that is out in it and still has the habit of keeping his rifle up out of the dirt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
DArcy_Echols_Co
one of us

Posted 17 May 2004 16:51 Hide Post
In the begining I started my business with a very strong emphasis towards stock making, stock duplicating and rust bluing. I soon found out that good metalsmiths were buried with work and I couldn't predict when I'd get any metal to stock. I needed to eat on a regular basis so I began my own metalwork out of survival. Today I send a limited amount of work out of my shop on a regular basis to be done to my specs by those who can do it better than I can. In the end this is a win, win situation for the client and it keeps the ball rolling while I'm doing what I do best. I have had the pleasure to work with many of todays best craftsman such as those mentioned before and others such as Bob Schniedmiller, Bret Wursten, Steve Heilmann, Gene Simillion, Duane Bolden, John Sones, David Wilson, Mitch Moschetti, Mark Penrod and have talked at length with folks such as Clay Spencer, Bruce Baer, Martin Hagn, Jim Borden, David Trevallion, Bill Shehane and a host of other gunmakers here, from the UK and from Europe.Some work only in metal, some in wood, some in fiber glass and some like Shehane only organize a project and then spank everybody with what he has orchestrated on the 1000 yard firing line. But from each of these talents you can get a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. You then try to apply what they consider vauable into your own work when and where it's applicable.I guess the point of all this is to find a niche you enjoy and strive to excel in it. Often this means putting your head in the ditch and ass in the air.

I prefer to assemble the entire rifle. This has both good and bad aspects. You get to bathe in the all the glory when things go well and conversely take a beating when things go down the toilet. When your name is on the barrel you have no one to blame as you are the company.

There is nobody I know that has screwed up as much stuff as I have. The upside to failure is education. When you do the whole project you get a solid education in a very short amount of time or you get very hungry. For some reason I still seem to flunk out on the night classes.

When you're doing the whole box of dice you never find the day boring. Long, but never boring. Sort of like fishing for Great Whites with a hand line.

Great quote! I find it strange that more people do not have a wood stock and a Echols Mcmillan on one of Darcy's masterpieces! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber is that beautiful Hagn?

one of us
posted Hide Post
510 nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like that LH, I believe, 416 rem. That low mounted conservative scope really keeps with the lines of the rifle. One of those in 30-06 with a Leupold 6X36 would be fantastic, but make me a very single man. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Dago, beautiful guns and animals and you are corect sir, I am drooling.

One of these days when I'm up your way we're going to have to get together for a cup of coffee.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That .510 Nitro is Beautiful!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another one where the rifle and buff really do each other justice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said the guy needs a website! Smiler

Dago, where the heck did you get all those pics of D'Arcy's work? Never seen so many.....Got any more???

Take Care,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very, very, nice work!

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly exceptional! And, it is so nice to see rifles of this quality in the field.

Posts: 38 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I find a couple of these photos very interesting in light of a thread that I participated in a few weeks ago.

I had posted a photo or two of a David Miller Rifle that was made from a Mauser action. Many of the posters didn't like two things about his Mauser rifles.

1. that the rear bridge was shortened such that the extractor was fully exposed on the bolt.

2. that the thumb slot was covered up by wood.

Please identify the thread where this posting occured.

Thanks beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Me too, for a different reason. The subject of fleur-de-lis-with-ribbons checkering came up, and several posters characterised this treatment as 'tacky'. Actually 'tacky' was perhaps one of the least derogatory comments made by these worthies; some of the detractors were smiths and some were clients, but all seemed to be afflicted with the 'current fashion' and 'The Rules say' syndromes.

Bah. The photos speak for themselves, D'Arcy's work is simply splendid and spectacular.

The best local smith in my area will not normally do fleurs and ribbons; in his case it has nothing to do with current fashion and The Rules but rather, he will frankly & freely confess, it's because he's simply not good enough with the veiner for 'best' work.

I salute him, at least he's honest.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote