THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    6.5mm RSAUM barreled action back from gunsmith
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm RSAUM barreled action back from gunsmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hi Guys,

This is a project I have had on the go for the last 18 months. I decided to build a light weight mountain rifle on a Remington 700 short action that was originally going to be chambered for the 7mm RSAUM (Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum). However, after reading about the 6.5mm RSAUM I really got hooked on that cartridge and instead I decided to go for that chambering.

All gunsmithing was done by Scott Traill, a New Zealand gunsmith, who did the work in 10 working days turnaround. Overall he did a really great job and has a reputation for doing high quality work for a reasonable price.

I have enclosed some photos of the action. It started off originally as a Remington 700 SPS Short Action chambered in 270 WSM (so that the feed rails and follower would be correct for the SAUM case, and require no additional work from the gunsmith). The only parts that are standard Remington, (apart from the receiver) are the X Mark Pro trigger (the previous owner had the trigger professionally reworked over), recoil lug and magazine follower and floorplate.

The Bolt assembly is a PTG spiral fluted with aluminium bolt shroud and firing pin assembly. I replaced the standard Remington mag box with a Wyatts extended (holds 3 down) + 1 in chamber.

I also got rid of the hideous pot metal Remington bottom metal assembly and replaced with a PTG Oberndorf bottom metal assembly, with the other major addition a Defense Edge custom Remington 700 bolt release, machined into the back of the receiver which is a rather nice custom touch.

For the barrel, I chose to run with a Krieger Criterion 6.5mm barrel, 1:8 twist and profiled to be of a similiar contour to the Remington 700 SPS. I supplied Scott with 3 x dummy 6.5mm SAUM rounds, loaded with a 140gr Berger VLD to cut the throat to the correct length. Finished length is 24 inch.

Scott did all of the chambering work plus he trued up the action and lapped the locking lugs.

I am currently finishing off the stock which is a Hi Tech Specialties, and then bed the action into this. I am currently in the process of forming Norma 300 SAUM into the 6.5 SAUM using a Hornady 7mm SAUM FL die then a Redding S Type Neck Die with bushings. To seat the bulets, I use a Forster 7mm SAUM Ultra micrometer seater, with the 7mm seater stem replaced with a 6.5mm. Using this setup, I can consistently keep the runout on the projectiles at around .003.

The last stage will to have all the metal work Cerakoted black.

My goal was to have a 1/2 MOA rifle or better and I am confident with the work that has been done on the rifle plus my carefully constructed handloads I can achieve this or better.

[URL=

[URL=[URL=http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/kiwishooter-7mm/media/SAM_0746.jpg.html]

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, Scott built my 6.5SAUM and if yours goes like mine you will be well pleased.
My barrel is slightly longer @ 26 inches and rifle fined at 7lbs incl scope and suppressor.
Currently running 140Acubonds @ 3150 but will switch to the new Hornady 143 ELD-x when they are available

Its a great rifle for the SI tops

Posts: 39 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I like the bottom metal.

I have not heard of the stockmaker. Is it a NZ made stock?

I have one being made on a Mod70 EW WSM action. Looking forward to seeing it.

Would like the PTG bottom metal for it.

Look forward to seeing more photos.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking good.

How is the bolt handle attached? It looks like it was pinned, and welded, or screwed and welded?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently running 62gns of Retumbo in necked down 300SAUM Norma brass. It is a hot load so be careful

I am hording some RP brass as it can be pushed harder.

I have shot the accubonds on steel plates out to 800 yards last weekend. It seems they may not be as accurate at this range. I have a few left but have ordered 5 boxes of the new Hornady ELD-X 143gn 6.5mm projectiles to try. Not due here till next year though.
On game all the deer and goats so far have been “bang” then “flop” from 30 yards to 350. Have not tried further than that.

My rifle does not have the extended box so I would be interested in how yours performs with that fitted. Barrel on mine is Shilen and I normally hunt with a suppressor fitted as I hunt with a dog. Have a T2 muzzlebrake which I use for load development / gong shooting

Posts: 39 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be keen on trying those Hornady ELD's. What price per box? Do you know if they are the same length as the Berger 140gr VLD?

Not sure, I have not tried the bergers as this was build as a "hunting rifle" and I much prefer "bonded bullets" or "Barnes" type. Found the Bergers my mate uses in his 6.5x55are "shrapnel grenades" and while his animals usually fall down on the spot he does lose a lot of edible meat (shoulder shots)

No Price on the Hornady bullets yet will let you know ( I reckon they will be round the $1 each mark)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks kiwiwildcat.

I have heard of Mark Bansner but not those stocks.

At this stage I will see how I will go with the Extreme Weather stock and use it before restocking and cerakoting.

Will you be fitting a break or suppressor? Would like the latter here but we are not to be trusted....

I like the look of your action and the Oberndorf release bottom metal.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be fair now having used suppressors for many years I would not be without one. Better for my (and the dogs hearing) and often you will get a second shot at game as they are unsure where the "bang" was
Here is a picture of mine (hope you don't mind) I went with the McMilllan Hunters Edge" Stock

and with suppressor

I look forward to seeing you with the finished rifle.

26 inch barrel + suppressor is long but so far it has not been an issue in the bush down here however in the tight NI scrub it might be somewhat painful to carry

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is quite a suppressor; completely illegal here in this state.

Posts: 17108 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
I guess it depends on the State since it's legal in many States that I frequent.... with the correct Fed documentation and permits.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any more progress Kiwiwildcat?? the wait for more pictures is not easy Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice photo work, Kiwi w. Mind telling us what you used?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Kiwiwildcat,

Very nice, I really like that bottom metal.

Why haven't I met you yet? I imagine that we know a lot of the same people there in Auckland.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Wow, that is quite a suppressor; completely illegal here in this state.

Legal in all the states I hunt as well

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the Watts mag box I can seat the Berger 140gr so that the base of the bullet is just above the line of the shoulder.

Does that box allow a longer cartridge somehow?

Thanks for sharing your build here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "screwed" attached bolt handle is not TIMED correctly for primary extraction.

The thru hole Anschutz bolt stop was an elementary installation.

The 6.5SAUM will push 140 weight projectiles in excess of 3450fps.

I've been shooting a Barnard PO2 actioned 6.5 SAUM w/30" 1"8.5" twist Bbls for 15+ years in LR competitions.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
The "screwed" attached bolt handle is not TIMED correctly for primary extraction.

The thru hole Anschutz bolt stop was an elementary installation.

The 6.5SAUM will push 140 weight projectiles in excess of 3450fps.

I've been shooting a Barnard PO2 actioned 6.5 SAUM w/30" 1"8.5" twist Bbls for 15+ years in LR competitions.

I would be interested in knowing load data for the above, best I can do with Retumbo is 3150 with 140 Accubond.
More is better for Hunting though

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess the 30 inch barrel is part of it.

The gap on the bolt handle does seem a bit large; is this what you're talking about on the bolt handle? As for timing, I don't see how you can tell much about the timing from the pictures put up by the OP. The last few remmy receivers I've worked on I've put blobs of tig weld on the bolt handle ramp and ground them down to get primary extraction working better. Seems more of an issue with the WSM/RUM type cases.

With the bolt release, I can't tell from the pictures if the load goes into the back of the cutout in the receiver or into the pin. If it goes into the pin, then I think a through hole is better than blind if you need to replace the pin someday.