Find
Notify
Tools

Husquarna action, witch one??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello and good afternoon all.

I am in the need for a now rifle, one in 9.3x57.
A great caliber in my mind, sadly not so much seen around today.

The rifle will be a short handy woods gun, open sights, fast shooting in thick bush for moose, deer and wild boar.

Action I am thinking of is to use a Husquarna 146 or 46 action. Why?
Low price and easy to get. And, they are good.

Any tip on witch one to go for?

Happy hunting.

Posts: 75 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both rifles. The 146 is a military Mauser 98 with the thumb relief the action was made by FN as I understand. This action cocks on opening and is very smooth and at least my rifle feed ammo both round nose and spitzer very well.
The 46 is a commercial 94/96 small ring action with the thumb relief, actually just a military action that has been finished some what better and at least on mine, better gas handling than the 94 action. This action cocks on closing and feeds and functions very well.
The 46 action can be made to cock on opening, but it requires a special kit and a gunsmith that knows what they are doing. I have not had this done but read some horror of botched jobs, so be careful.
Both come with some very nice walnut stocks if you buy one made before around 1940, this is the time that WWII started eating into the good wood supply. Also in my opinion the length of pull at some 14 ½ inches, is designed for an orangutan to cycle the bolt from the shoulder, so shortening the length of pull and a recoil pad is a must for me.
The 146 action points and handles very well and I like the rifle I recently purchased. I will probably have it reblued and refinished and it will become my favorite open sight hunting rifle.
The 46 small ring rifles point like a fine shotgun especially the ones with the Half Pistol Grip stocks.
Shortening the barrels these rifles or making too many changes is a crime to me, they look like the old safari rifles made in the time of the great empires at the turn of the 19th century by Rigby, H&H, etc. And can be purchased for a fraction of the price and almost as good quality
As for the cartridge 9.3x57, it’s great but, a hand loading proposition. By the way the PRVI bullets in 9.3mm of 285gr is very good on this cartridge and cheap.

Simpson Ltd. Has them in the US. See link below:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/inde...253b72961a63b01f8184

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have several of both.

In factory trim and when used with factory loads I prefer the M46A. The chambers seem to be held to tighter tolerances.

As a basis for a custom rifle, the M146 with its 98 action is more versatile. It is also preferable if you want to hand load and tend to load to increased pressures.

My first and still favorite is an early M46 and even with its oversized chamber it will shoot both Norma factory loads and handloads into honest MOA groups. I also like the prince of wales type grip.

Me, I'd probably search for a nice, unmolested example of either and shoot it as-is.

The longer LOP of these rifles suits me just fine and last I looked I wasn't an orangutan, at least not yet.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although not on your list you might consider a Husky 1900 action.

It is a push feed action but is very smooth and has excellent utility (simple adjustable trigger, short bolt cycling, unencumbered profile).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltshooter:

It is a push feed action but is very smooth and has excellent utility (simple adjustable trigger, short bolt cycling, unencumbered profile).

The 1900 was not available in 9.3x57

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
Originally posted by boltshooter:

The 1900 was not available in 9.3x57

Thanks for the correction. The 1900 did come with 9,3 x 62.

www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's an awful pretty Husqvarna 9.3/57 for sale on the 24-hour campfire.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the feed back.
Oh, I think I will go for a Model 46, the poor mans H&H maybe one can call it. The look they had is very elegant, classic.

The rifle will be kept as original as I can.

Happy hunting.

Posts: 75 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote