New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my 416 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is done. After several months of toil and lots of learning (many many thanks to you folks).

This is the first stock that I fully carved from a blank. My hat is off to anyone that has done this. I haven't checkered it yet, but will shortly in a simple point pattern.

Details: P14 Action, 23" ER Shaw barrel, Talley banded sling swivel, NECG banded front sight, NECG adjustable rear sight, Wiebe bottom metal, Dayton trigger, holds 4 down.

Next up is its twin in 458 Lott.

Please critique as you see fit. This is my first medium/big bore, and first homebrew stock. Do the proportions look correct?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice Pictures.
Beautiful figure in that one.
Stock looks great as far as I can tell.
Nice work.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nice job! What profile is the barrel? #4 or #5? What do you use to remove the bulk of the wood from the action inlet and exterior of the stock?

This is pretty close to what I'm having built. I have two 1917 barreled actions, one in 35 whelen and one in 404 Jeffery, being down by Dennis Olson. Exact same sights and barrel band. I also retained the factory safety (it's a great design) and the dogleg bolt (I had bolts of both designs and could cycle the dogleg easier from the shoulder).

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Looks darn good to me. Some checkering and a few buffalo and elephant to its credit is all it needs now.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'll post a few more pics of the other side tomorrow when I get a chance.

Austin Hunter: the barrel is a #3 ER Shaw contour. That is their first varmint contour. It is close to a Douglas #5. I grew up shooting a 1917 with the dog leg in the original 30-06. That handle will be retained on the 458 Lott build.

I'll add a couple more comments. I used the 1917 coned breach on this and altered the bolt accordingly to fit it. I figured that feeding would be improved, maybe, maybe not, but it does feed flat nose solids, and empty cases with equal ease.

I also used the magazine box from a Ruger 375 RSM. It fit easily, and only required about a half hour of file work.

Double cross bolts, and I went ahead and reinforced the wrist whether it needed it or not. The wood has straight grain through the wrist but it is hard to see.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done! For a big bore the stock looks perfect. Anxious to see some targets!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicejob! My safe would be lonely without my .416 in it. I bet you will enjoy it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't put many rounds downrange (16 to be exact). I managed 3" with the open sights at 100 yards. With a scope, I am hoping for about an inch.

The grip cap is buffalo horn, by the way, and it weighs in at 9lb 4 ounces empty. Should be 10.5lb with ammo and scope. This is the largest caliber that I have shot, and I have to say, it was no problem.

Again, thanks to all of the real gunsmiths who have shared their knowledge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you using for bottom metal. looks like Wiebe? Std or magnum? Nice work1

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rgg_7,

Thanks. The bottom metal is from Duane Wiebe. He only has one model for the Enfield that I am aware of. It is magnum in size and would work for anything you can stuff into this action.

You have to fab or steal a mag box to use with this bottom metal. The box isn't integral like on his Mauser bottom metal.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had some Wiebe Enfield bottom metal and sold it. And then my plan was to sell my Enfield actions, but couldn't find a buyer. So I had to build two new rifles (yeah, that logic doesn't work with the wife) So now I wish I would have kept the Wiebe metal. Oh well, I had the straightened factory ones already and they will work fine for my needs, but not as nice as the Wiebe version.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it out to the range this morning with a 1.5-6X28 Burris mounted on it.

I was quite happy with the results. It took 4 shots to get it in line, and I shot the last 3 to see how it will group. They came in just over an inch. Now on to the 2015 Africa trip planning.

I only tried one load as the other bullets have not arrived yet. I can't complain about this one, though.

Load:
416 Remington
Brass - Formed Hornady Belted Magnum Basic
Primer - CCI250
Powder - IMR4895
Charge - 75.0 gr
Bullet - Hornady 400gr DGS
Average Velocity - 2353fps SD 5.3

My dog showing his approval of the target as well.