ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Ten Days in Tanzania with Pierre van Tonder
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ten Days in Tanzania with Pierre van Tonder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I just completed my first safari in Tanzania with Pierré van Tonder Safaris. My PH was Clinton van Tonder and I discovered buffalo hunting. I may be hooked for life.

This was a safari with a lot of ups, and a couple of downs tailor-made to test one's ability to keep a positive attitude. At check-in in Amsterdam I got upgraded to business class (I was in heaven) but when we got to Dar: no rifle or ammunition (I was no longer in heaven). With the charter to the Selous leaving next morning I figured I would have to hunt with one of the rifles in camp. Too bad about the Duane Wiebe 404 Jeffery and my fastidiously prepared Barnes TSX tipped ammo. But a plan was made, I left some cash in Dar, and my rifle and ammo made it to camp only one day later than I.

On that first rifle-less day I decided to test shoot a 375 H&H with minimal eye relief on the scope belonging to another hunter. I got seriously scoped for the first time in my life, opening up a very nice gash between the eyes. This was thought to be pretty hilarious of course and pictures were taken, I may even post one.

But first impressions: the camp is situated on a beautiful site overlooking the Great Ruaha river. Hippo all over the place, big crocs basking in the sun, waterbuck prancing around; it truly is paradise on earth. The camp staff is impeccable, the food very, very good and the bar is only two steps away, although yelling for Jackson will get you a cold one without having to actually move your body.

But what you really want is pictures. In the order taken:

It is possible to fold a buffalo to get him into the Land Cruiser.

I didn't realize I would have to walk a really long way to catch up with the buff. Clinton, when I asked, said he calculated we walked about 50 km total on our different stalks. I'm still debating whether getting a buff on the first day would be a good thing. If we had, I would never have discovered just how much fun crawling around in burnt grass and getting munched by tse-tse and ants can be. I also learned that I'm not very good a crawling with a rifle going downhill face first, usually using my face as one of the four points in contact with the ground.

The two trackers hunting with Clinton were exceptional, not only as trackers but as just plain fun to hunt with with. Below are Kinky and Johnny Masai (real names Kingui and Mbijani).

They are both also very accomplished pyromaniacs, setting fire to at least a 100 hectares in the time I spent with them, probably more.

The food was so consistently good I had to take a look at the cook and the kitchen. Here is Moses in his high tech lab:

It is truly amazing that he can produce the meals he does with a couple of skillets and some charcoal.

Day in and day out Clinton van Tonder got me on game, worked himself and his trackers for as long as I could keep up, making me feel like I was hunting with a friend who just happened to have been raised to be a PH in the Selous. We were non-stop in hunting, as well as in joking around and having a general good time. I can't say enough good things about him.

And at the end of the day, when you just want to sit down and have a cold one, you get this:

Now, there was one little incident on the last day. The charter taking me and another hunter out (with both of us waving goodbye from the windows) crashed on take-off. It is still, I am quite sure, sitting about 50 meters beyond the end of the airstrip where the friction of the African bush finally stopped us.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I did not have my duffel bag, ammo, or guns for 8 of 10 days last year so I know what you are going through. Great trip, would love to hear more and see more pics.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice animals, grand adventure. Good on you.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the pyromaniacs. Nice report

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7600 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 41793 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, I was in that same camp 4 years ago. Great area. Moses is still cooking up a storm, I see? That was one of my best hunts...love the Selous.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
We were there in '06. Glad to see Moses still there, if I recall correctly, he trained in Paris. It is truly amazing, the gourmet meals he can turn out on fairly primitive equipment! We loved the camp and the Hippos grunted us to sleep every night. My wife cried when we left!
Come on though, you have to tell us all the details on the crash!!!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania is a wonderful place! Congrats on a good hunt.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures, thanks!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Wink,
Well done & congrats on your splendid trophies!

I love your description of Clinton as "making me feel like I was hunting with a friend who
just happened to have been raised to be a PH in the Selous"

You know it was a great safari after hearing that!
Jim

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and thanks for a great report and photos.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, but I'm not sure if that applies to take offs as well.

Regards
H

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hot damn Wink, you are full of surprises. Now you know why I love the camp.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
WMy wife cried when we left!
Come on though, you have to tell us all the details on the crash!!!!

I know very little about aircraft, but it was a small 4 seater, with two seats occupied by the pilot and copilot. As we started down the runway, picking up speed, and at just the moment that you could feel the lift pick up the plane, the engine refused to go any faster. The pilot brought us down pretty hard, on one wheel thereby creating a nice bounce to one wing, bounce to other effect with the accompanying swerving from one side of the airstrip to the other. Being at the end of the runway of course meant that we continued on into the bush where the plane finally stopped. No one injured and we jumped out as fast as possible hoping the plane wouldn't catch fire.

Pierré always asks his clients to make suggestions about how to improve his operation. I'm going to suggest an additional 100 meters to the airstrip.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Impala for the Selous tu2 well done all around.

Wow, close call on the plane incident! This report is incomplete without a picture of the crtashed plane Cool

Not suggesting this is what happened in this case BUT too many clients and operators overlook the quality of the charter companies they use! Perhaps to save a few 100 $$?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Excellent Impala for the Selous tu2 well done all around.

Wow, close call on the plane incident! This report is incomplete without a picture of the crtashed plane Cool

Not suggesting this is what happened in this case BUT too many clients and operators overlook the quality of the charter companies they use! Perhaps to save a few 100 $$?

Fuel quality, maintenance and pilot error, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
AS they say " apicture is worth a thousand words" and your photo's tell a wonderful story.
We all pick special moments in a Safari that stay with us, not much risk the one that will stay in your mind!!!

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My tendency to exaggerate leads me to think that I should have called this a "forced landing" rather than a crash. The pilot seemed to be in control to me and we all walked away from it.

As for taking pictures after the fact, my camera and all other gear were left on the plane, which we did not approach on pilot's advice. Luggage and other gear were off-loaded by the pilot and placed in the plane sent to pick us up, so I didn't have a camera with me. I'm going to bet that the hunters who stayed in camp will have taken some photos which I will try to get when they finish their 21 day safari.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've been in that camp three times. It is first class, for sure! Lots of buffalo and other game.... I'm glad you had a great time and got wonderful trophies.... all of which you'd have never gotten without my boxes, of course! Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7561 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The bush plane company is Tanzan Air. A very reputable air company. http://www.tanzanair.com/

cessna 206

the airstrip

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wink.......Isn't Tanzania a Hoot!! I have never had the privilege of hunting there, but have been throughout the country on many occasions. Your report was great. Glad you had a wonderful hunt.

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Wink. Sounds like you earned your Buffalo
Congratultions on the Safari
Glad everyone walked away from the "crash"

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pierré always asks his clients to make suggestions about how to improve his operation. I'm going to suggest an additional 100 meters to the airstrip.

ROFL!!!

Glad you had an interesting safari Wink... hell the trip that goes 100% right with all animals shot on the first stalk and where nothing breaks down, leaves one bereft of any exciting "adventures" to bore others with around a fire ring for the 78th time! And the trip where everything goes 100% wrong has one flirting with repressed suicidal tendencies! Looks like yours ended up a "Goldilocks Safari", not too hot, not too cold and enough stories to retell until your too old to remember them!

Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1428 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink;

Congratulations (for surviving the plane crash) and taking some beautiful trophies.

Your photos are excellent.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Durn the camera to take pictures of the wreckage.
I would have needed fresh pants & underwear!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt u:
Wink. Sounds like you earned your Buffalo
Congratultions on the Safari
Glad everyone walked away from the "crash"

Amen!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew in on a much bigger plane...like 10 seats or so. We had a group of 4, maybe that was the difference.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
This was a controlled crash.

Biebs here is the bigger plane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice hunt Wink tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The cold Kili at sunset over the Great Ruaha brought back memories of the three times I have hunted with Pierre. It surely doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for the report and memories.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's it. Plenty of room and lift with that one.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Looks like a phenomenal trip - congrats...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great photos and stories Wink, thanks! I take it your 404 got there in time for the buffalo? As far as suggestions to Pierre, instead of the added cost of 100 meters of runway, I'd just make sure those "pilots" know the differences between V1, V2 and V crit! They should have known that plane wasn't going to take off WAY before you ran out of runway! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
In the "never too old to learn a lesson" category:

You can imagine how it feels when this is from the first shot you take on a safari. The picture is a little blurry because Pierré was laughing too hard to hold the camera steady. I'm lucky it didn't break my glasses since I had forgotten to bring a second pair.

One of the other advantages of being the client and having the responsibility of preparing a photographic record is that you get to watch everybody strain their backs and pop tendons while you take pictures.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Wink! Great animals.

And I'm certainly glad that the scope hurt you more than the airplane crash!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13440 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations William, splendid trophies and some marking experiences, the recipe for fond memories. I hope the ambiance was as warm as at Jaco's.
I am amazed at your new d'Artaganan look, You look quiet different, may be too serious.
!felicitations mon ami

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Jean-Bernard,

You just haven't been keeping up with current events. I've been wearing my "serious" disguise for a few years (see link below):

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/9851035311

In fact, I think you need to start going to the Rambouillet Game Fair again. I ran into Pierré van Tonder in April and it was quite a surprise since I didn't know he now had an agent in France. In fact, the agent lives near Strasbourg if you want to meet that person. PM me if interested.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wink< I love that leupold loop. Also, who is that long haired tracker?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I would like to mention that I shot my Duane Wiebe made 404 Jeffery, on its first hunting safari. I loaded my own Norma Brass with Barnes TSX 400 grain bullets at 2,250 fps. The Hartebeest, the Zebra, the Impala and the Baboon were all one shot kills and the bullets went through and were not recovered. I shot 3 shots into the Buff and all were recovered. While the first shot might have been fatal, the PH said, "Hit him again" and I gladly obliged. There was of course the insurance shot after the death bellow. At least that's how I remember it. Two had perfect mushrooms and still weigh 400 grains (100% retention) and one was missing three of the petals and now weighs 354 grains. This last bullet probably went through the spine. I am very happy with the performance of the Barnes TSX bullet in the 404 Jeffery.