THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Engraving question answered. DWM 1908 Uruguay.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving question answered. DWM 1908 Uruguay.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Just a shot in the dark, but you never know...

Does anyone recognize this crest design? This is on a DWM Mauser (a 1909?), engraved by Heinz Funk. Gunsmith was Hans-Joachim Walther.

Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Well, someone told me it looks like the coat of arms of Uruguay, and it does. What's up with that?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DWM made 7x57 rifles/carbines for Uruguay .
Most were built in 1909 and some in 1910.
So the owner decided the Uruguayan Crest and rarer year of production should be integrated in the engraving.

Heinz Funk did a lot of engraving for
Hartmann &Weiss.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's interesting.

So there are DMW Model 1908 Brazilians, Model 1909 Argentines, and Model 1909-10 Uruguays?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear PSmith:

Wow, that is spectacular work. Understated elegance.

Could you please post photographs of the rear bridge and the bottom metal.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this a match? Crest or Uruguay. I guess that this is a military rifle receiver made into a "sporter"....just as Holland and Holland, Etc., etc., did.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,more photos of the Mauser. Sorry I'm not the best photog. These photos don't do the engraving justice; it is as good as anything I have ever seen.

The rifle is chambered in 7x64 Brenneke. It is a big, heavy rifle (10 pounds and 15 inch LOP). It has a 26 inch octagonal barrel with integral rib and I think that accounts for a lot of the weight.

This Uruguay crest is certainly interesting.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Very good work, indeed!! Very good taste in the engraving an a very original floorplate opening lever!!
I must say I never heard or see any record about DWM making Mauser rifles for Uruguay...Neither did mymy Uruguayan shooting, hunting and collectors friends...

PH

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must say I never heard or see any record about DWM making Mauser rifles for Uruguay...Neither did mymy Uruguayan shooting, hunting and collectors friends...

PH

It is listed in Olson "Mauser Bolt Rifles.
Furthermore including pictures in
Robert W.D.Ball" Military Rifles of the World"

It is named Model 1908 Rifle and short rifle based upon the design of
the Brazilian Model 1908

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't normally care for engraving, but that looks beautiful to me.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
A real beauty. I kind of like the floorplate and latch design. It allows the use of a shotgun style trigger guard that looks really spiffy. The engraving is top notch.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The crest is shown on page 374 of Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" fourth edition. Uruguayan DWM Model 1908 based on design of DWM 1908 Brazilian.

This is why I love AR, I learn something new every day. Thanks guys.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
OOOOOOO!!!!! what a floorplate! Eeker

the entire rifle oozes refined elegance. i may be in love...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I wish there was a side photo of that trigger guard bow. I would also like to see the inside of that floorpalte. I wonder in the inards restrict the mag capacity by a round.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
More photos. I've ordered some ammo and will see how many rounds the magazine holds. Thanks again for the information.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That magazine box and spezial floorplate is a coproduction between Hans-Joachim Walther and Recknagel ( www.recknagel.de) .
You can download their catalogue as pdf file and look on page 38 for the details.
The corresponding magazine box with the standard floorplate holds the same number of rounds.
Pricy ? Not at all! Round about 500 EUR in the white.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you heavenknows and PSmith!

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do believe that is the most elegant floorplate release I've ever seen. A gorgeous rifle.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Absolutley beautiful rifle & stellar engraving. I love the detailed muzzle & checkering on the front of the front sight ramp.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice... tu2

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
One of the very best, thank you for the views.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can contact Hans-Joachim Walther on e-mail: h-j.walther@t-online.de His website is down at the moment.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
You can contact Hans-Joachim Walther on e-mail: h-j.walther@t-online.de His website is down at the moment.

You can´t . He passed away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh - sorry to hear. When did this happen? Thanks for the information.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I thought I "had" you when I got the Hartmann & Weiss. Looks like you've "one-upped" me again! :-)

Posts: 20089 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am speechless ... yet I lust!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
JB:

Ha! As if I could...

Remember I just have that peashooter .500NE; I'm still in the shallow end of the pool.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy my kind of rifle
It has some great great engraving I love the floor plate release
Love the detail of engraving in the small areas
Not overwhelming but just enough.
Now add the curb feelers Biebs and I want it.

Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now add the curb feelers Biebs and I want it.

Larry

I used to listen to a radio show you were on, but I can't remember which one you were...Amos or Andy!!!!

Posts: 20089 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
An elegant rifle! And yes. I am envious!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.Smith
If that gun were to come on the market what would a poor soul like me have to give to be the proud owner
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another interesting rifle with the bottom metal in concern.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post198304

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
I do believe that is the most elegant floorplate release I've ever seen. A gorgeous rifle.

Jerry Liles

I agree wholeheartedly. In relation to the "similar" one shown here
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post198304
I think rear corners of Joels box seem to detract from the overall look and wonder why the beveled edge couldn't have been taken right to the back for a more streamlined look without the sharp re-curved ends.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is one of the best I've ever seen. Trying to pick one part over another is difficult, but that floor plate is the bomb!!!

I'm no expert by any means, I just know what I like and I REALY LIKE that rifle. tu2

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I can not believe any of you have heard of an uruguayan mauser before !!!

They are very good, and the magazine is wider than the argenitians making them better for some cartdriges.

That shield is my country shield, the fortification on the hill of our sea port at Montevideo done by the spaniards, the ox in honour of the cattle and agriculture ( we are the country that eats more kilos of beef per person in the world with 120 lbs per year), the horse because our fights and the symbol of justice represented by a....how to say it in engilsh..?? Balanza.. something to measure weight ?

Very very good actions but produced in less numbers than the argentinians.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
We'd say 'scale'. But balanza, "balance" works quite well too!

Thanks for the info Lorenzo, neat to know all that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are very good, and the magazine is wider than the argenitians making them better for some cartdriges.

L

Don´t know the source of your information.
But the inner dimensions of the magazine box for the Uruguay Mauser was not a fraction of an inch wider than the Argentines. No need at all for that. They were build for the 7x57 cartridge.
The inner box dimensions for the standard length actions in 7,65 Argentine, 7x57 and 8x57 were all the same.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
There is a really GOOD gunsmith down here who works with either argentinians and Uruguayan actions and he told me that, maybe I am confusing something but I am pretty sure that was something in the magazine that was wider than the argentinians so becuse of that it was less work for him to adapt them for certain cartdriges.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think its the feed rails. Aren't they set up like the 1908 brazilians with the step?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote