Notify
Tools

fn bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
guys,

looking at one of there in 30 06. is the bottom metal good? if using the original stock could aftrmarket BM unit be put on without too much fuss?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...ds...00_Win_Mag_BBLD

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I can't see it. Factory FN Deluxe bottom metal is similar to military but good none-the-less. If you decide to swap, let me know, may want to buy your factory stuff.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fn bottom metal is good. It is 30-06 length. Most have push button drop out plates, but some FN have nice steel hinged units with a unique latch. I have one and it is very graceful.

Some aftermarket will fit right in and some will need a little extending of the forward guard screw tang. Some aftermarket guards have the mag box in a different area than the FN, the steel numrich unit is one. The alloy unit from Williams is a clean fit for an FN.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It says that it is aluminum and it has a goofy latch. I would avoid this one.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
could you elaborate tommyhawk? it appears to be an FN 400 Action unless I am mistaken. also, if the above it true, I assume variious aftermarket BM units would have the same dimensions and could fit?

NO?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen that bottom metal before. I don't know if it is factory FN or not. It definitely has a different profiled floorplate than my FN's.

I am not clear if you are buying a complete gun or just a barreled action? If you are buying a gun, I am thinking you will be stuck with leaving it as is.

If buying a barreled action and you already own an FN stock, whether FN, J.C Higgins, H&R, etc. I don't know if that bottom metal will fit or if the stock can be altered to make it fit.

You could make about any 98 style bottom metal fit a semi-inlet stock, but there will be a lot more work involved as you will also have a lot of inletting on the top as well.

I have an alloy unit that is a pretty exact fit for an FN. It is a PAWS for $82 retail cost from Brownell's. This is the one with the engraved (cast) antelope floorplate. Alloy is light and is definitely weaker than steel, but it will work. I have a Fwt M70 with alloy bottom metal and it is my main hunting rifle. The M70 is definitely more rugged than the PAWS (original Williams design)bottom metal.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
it's actually a complete rifle. gorgeous wood and grainflow in it but there's a lot of lumber. i suspect there is a nice stock in there someplace it just needs to be whittled down.

the only thing holding me back at this stage is the BM.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i have the same action and bottom metal in '06 in my basement. the bottom metal is very light weight and mine has no slop at the hinge. it's no custom piece, but seems well made

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck at $385, buy the gun. Get some 100 grit and by the time you have the finish sanded off it should be slim and trim.

Actually that is horrible advice. Strip the finish with a commercial chemical stripper, such as Homer formby's, Strip Eez, or similar.

Then take 100 grit to the parts you want to trim down. Take care and avoid sanding the top and bottom surfaces as it will cause the metal to stand above the wood. The old standard is "the wood should stand proud above the metal"; or at least flush, never below.

Then refinish as desired.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. The complete rifle is being asked at $525 and is missing the sling swivel for the front and has no rear iron sight though it has a front sight and hood.

It appears to be in quite good condition and I'd call it 90% or a bit better. Any guidance on pricing such an item?

Thanks!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...ser_300_Win_Mag_BBLD

see now?

The link you posted above is what I was commenting about. It states clearly that it is a barreled action. No stock. Alum. bottom metal. And, in the pics it has a rear sight.
This is obviously NOT what you are talking about buying.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
sorry for any confusion but the link I posted is to be viewed as an example only. the rifle I am looking at is a complete rifle and it has the same bottom metal as the one in the link.

i am trying to get some guidance as to whether it is a serviceable, dependable unit or if it would be better replaced and second, what sort of a price for a complete rifle in say 90-95% condition is to be expected?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, one fellow said he had that bottom metal and that he felt it was well made.

I said buy it @ $385. I would have to see the actual gun before saying buy it @ $525

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
thanks to all!