New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Model 48
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have experience with the Nosler 48 semi custom rifle?

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few months ago or maybe a year one of the gun rags did a comparison test of several of these type rifles. The new Shilen rifle won the competition. http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buds,bought one when they came out.Very inconsistant and has a couple tight spots in the bore.Been sent back twice,can't sell it and now sits in the back of his safe. He says it was a lesson learned,still shakes his head from a company the makes the best hunting bullet in the world.....

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
That Shilen rifle looks good. All the right parts to make it smokin accurate.

At a cost lots cheaper than others.
I might have to look into them a little more

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and I love it. I am thinking of getting another. Mine is a .338 Federal that I did not need but had cash in my hand in the proshop, had wanted to play with the cartrige for awhile and it was on sale! This was a bad combination for me and I got the rifle and a new Leo to go on top. The thing shot 1/2" with cheap Federal ammo and 3/4" with Federal Premiums loaded with 185gr X bullets(don't tell the Nosler guys I used Barnes in their gun Smiler )

I have yet to load for it but just got two new bags of brass from Midway and a few boxes of 210gr partitions to try out. If all goes well I will shoot a pig with it in August.

Sorry others have had bad experiences, I love mine. It is in the top 10 rifles I own.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
A few months ago or maybe a year one of the gun rags did a comparison test of several of these type rifles. The new Shilen rifle won the competition. http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html
Butch

Rather Savage-like that Shilen is.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Savage like thing is the bolt nose that is changeable and the barrel attachment. It has the Remington footprint and a Remington type trigger system and bottom metal and mag box.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Christmas present to myself. Nosler was offering an $800 NRA discount. I couldn't resist. There has beentoo much going on, so I haven't had a chance to bloody it yet. Spring turkey season is on. I'll probably go to my lease soon. Should be able to whack a couple porkers with it while I'm there.
I'm a gunwhore so any praise I lavish has to be taken with a grain of salt. I like the rifle, the way it handles, the micro-slick coating makes cycling the bolt smooth. The trigger breaks clean, however I'm going to adjust down just a touch. Its warm here most of the year, I don't have to wear gloves and I like a two pound pull or lighter. I'm shooting a mild load of w760 to start with.

Nosler Model 48 Custom Sporter, 325 WSM, Leupold 3.5 x 10 Vari X III, with illuminated Reticle

Hadn't wrung it out yet. Kinda breakin' it in.

But I think it's going to be a shooter.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee what a beautiful stock Eeker just look at the wonderful graining in that piece of plastic shockerthe picture perfect inletting, the perfection in the checkering pattern, why it has all the beauty that a checkbook at a tupperware party can buy pissers

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opinions vary,

as do form and function,

glad ya like it. dancing

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez butchloc, what did he do to deserve that?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10509 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, its ok. Opinions vary, I was simply responding to the OP's question. Since there was no disclaimer concerning their Custom, Legacy or Trophy grade rifle I figured showing my Custom Sporter would not be sacrilegious. Or perhaps I don't have the bona fides to post in this forum. I consider myself a blue steel and wood guy, but I do own laminate as well as synthetic stocked rifles. I hunt from time to time in inclement weather. I also hunt the Texas hill country where everything bites pricks or scratches. Cactus, rocks, dust and black dirt that clings like Gumbo. I ride a four wheeler and carry a rifle on a sling. One outing, if I'm not careful can really put the hurt on both an acrylic or oil finish. For example, if I'm climbing up a mountain side through a juniper thicket on my hands and knees, in a downpour, I tend to take synthetic stocked stainless rifles. Having said that, none of the rifles in my collection are safe queens. For example.......

mannlicher stocked mauser 98, double set trigger, 35 whelen, smithed by Wayne Barnett, Pasadena, Texas

And FWIW, here is another one that Mr. B probably won't care for, but I do believe this forum is Custom Rifles so........
a little something about which I posted in the recent past.

Being a junk man at heart, I am always pickin' through other folks used items. Can't help it.
I picked up this action about 10 years ago. Never done any thing with it. The price was right and ya never can tell!

Sako S491 action

A couple years later a fellow had a used Richards Microfit thumbhole stock for sale. Turns out it just happened to be glass bedded for a Sako S491 action. Couldn't resist.

Fast forward to earlier this year. I got the hankerin' for a small caliber chambering with a fast twist barrel. Turns out a friend had a 1 in 8" twist Shilen Select Match stainless barrel layin' around his shop. Even had a 223 AI reamer and a Vais brake
Well, a few dollars traded hands, I pulled out an old scope I'd basically gotten free from another deal and tossed them into a feed barrel and rolled it down a hill at the lease. When I pulled the lid, dang if a Spare Parts Rifle didn't pop out.

Sako S491 action, Richards laminate thumbhole stock. Twenty-six inch Shilen Select Match Barrel, Vais Brake, chambered for 223 AI, Burris 8 x 32 Signature Scope.

Hadn't wrung it out yet but here are a few groups.

Sixty grain partition or even a 70 gr. TSX might just shine. Only problem, is finding used bullets in good condition. I may have to break down an go with some new ones.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hit the damn bottle top already! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geebubya,
is that a Denver Redfield on that mannlicher, looks classic!

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cutiger,
Yes it it a redfield. Two x 7 power Whether a "Denver" Redfield, I do not know.
It was on the rifle when I purchased it. The gentleman who built this rifle has left the field. His name was Wayne Barnett. He billed himself as a master gunsmith. From what I understand he worked at Glen Slades in the sixties. I can remember as a boy going down the Gulf Freeway in Houston and see the giant polar bear atop the building with the sign "Glenn Slade's in humongous letters. It was pretty impressive to a 10 year old. Wayne had a shop in Pasadena, Texas in seventies on Harris at Witter St. That is when I think he built this rifle. I happened onto it without a dollar in my pocket and talked the dealer at the gunshow into holding onto it until I could get back with the cash. Rifles come and go, but my kids will probably have to sell this one if they don't want it.

Best
GWB