New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iver Hendricksen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a chance to buy a Prewar M70 carbine 270 win,stocked by him. Was purchased from his estate years ago. It is in mint condition. Does his work have any interest/value?

Posts: 251 | Location: w mt | Registered: 12 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RR- I believe he was one of Elmer Keith's favorite custom makers.

T.W.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Exactly, the majority of Keith's later guns were built by Ivar.

His gunshop is now someone's house in Kalispel, Montana, I looked it up on google earth, and sure enough it was still there.

I wonder if the folks that live there know?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He also ran a packers school for many years. Keith taught a shooting class for guides and packers.

Packers School is about learning how to pack the horses/mules for the old style hunts. Anybody here know how to throw a diamond hitch?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that, very interesting. I missed a 358 Norma made by Ivar last year for $2500 on a pre-64 M70. Thing of beauty, but didn't have the scratch to buy it.

I am really surprised Randy about the 270 chambering on that rifle. I had not seen any Ivar rifles that were not cannons. 458s, 375, 358 Norma, 338-74 and such.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in 67-68, "Packer's School" meant the parachute packer's school at Fort Lee, VA. They were well respected, drove red M151s.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote