THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Martin Hagn new website and.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martin Hagn new website and.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.hagnriflesandactions.com/Home-Test.html

...and he has an new action listed!
Any who has handled [and delighted] at his small frame falling block receiver, will have an idea how small and light his new minature receiver will be.
If it has 7/8"[.875"] dia. barrel thread, it should still be good for anything up to std .473 dia case head.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I saw it at the guild show this year

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for mentioning;
The guy making the actions for Hagn is a Norwegian Wink
Talked to him earlier this spring. I think this miniature action will be a delight with the 6x70R cartridge now loaded by Norma.
Perfect deer rifle!

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The castings? Shurley not the machining!

Never heard that before..

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You got his phone number Wink

Posts: 17 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thickness of the new mini is listed as 27mm, which is less than 1-1/8". If you used a 7/8" shank, you would have less than 1/8" of metal around three sides of the barrel. That sems pretty scant. Besides that, you would have only about 1/8" from the thread root of the barrel thread to the chamber wall with a .473 cartridge. I suspect you should stick to his stated intent on the web site of 22LR to 223.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifles, but makes mr. bradshaw's rifles look like a bargain

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T man:

That all depends on what you are willing to accept and what you are willing to pay for...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
The thickness of the new mini is listed as 27mm, which is less than 1-1/8". If you used a 7/8" shank, you would have less than 1/8" of metal around three sides of the barrel. That sems pretty scant. Besides that, you would have only about 1/8" from the thread root of the barrel thread to the chamber wall with a .473 cartridge. I suspect you should stick to his stated intent on the web site of 22LR to 223.

In the case of the Hagn minature receiver at 27mm[1.063"] wide, if it has 7/8"[.875"]thread, it leaves a receiver wall thickness minimum of 2.38mm[.094"]

NULA from Mel Forbes, has a receiver dia. 1.250" and barrel thread dia. 1.050", remaining receiver wall thickness 2.54mm[.1"]

A Kimber 84m has receiver dia. 1.140", and if I am correctly informed, barrel thread dia .1.050", leaving a receiver ring wall thickness of 1.14mm[.045"]

Click this to see how thin the 84m receiver wall is,(gas port) >> http://www.opticsngear.com/images/84mgun.jpg [ click again to maginify]

Martin Hagn assured me some time ago, that 7/8[.875"]thread is quite sufficient for the .473" casehead.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T man:

Those prices are CAD ! Don't know what USD/CAD is doing, but they look great value to me. You couldn't get a Hartmann & Weiss Hagn for anything like that...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trax

Thanks for confirming in detail every dimension I quoted.

Add to the list of thin reciever walls the small ring Mausers. Scores of people on this board have opined against their use for high intensity cartridges. While all these work, they are not necessarily a good idea.

Your only data concerning the issue of chamber wall thickness is that Mr. Hagn told you it was OK. I will again note that on his website, he recommends the action for up to 223 class cartridges. I stand firm in my opinion that if you do the hoop stress calcs, it doesn't look like a very good idea. To each his own, but I can't see the risk being worth the reward to save a few ounces on a rifle.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art.S

What Mr.Hagn website states and what they actually do in practice is another thing.

Eg; Hagn website indicates the Hagn small frame is good for up to .308win, http://www.hagnriflesandactions.com/Price-List-.html

Yet it is clear Ralf and Martin often use the small frame for magnum case head rounds like 7mmRMag,300H&H,300-Weatherby as seen here > http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/projects.htm

So despite Mr.Hagns website stating the minature receiver is good for up to .223rem, theres posibility its quite suitable for a larger case dia.

also, both Martini&Hagn and Hartmann&Weiss happily chamber the new manufactured Kurz mauser receiver[.980" thread] for high intensity WSM cartridges[.555" casehead],
which leaves a chamber wall thickness very similar to the combination of, 7/8"[.875"]thread/.473" casehead.

I am confident that Ralf,Martin and Hartmann&Weiss have not left things to chance, but have done their technical homework.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What's with the Farquharsons?

And is Martin Hagn no longer affiliated with Ralf Martini?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Farquharsons receiver appears to have an integral square bridge,so I suspect its one of the new manufacture Soroka

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Soroka. Martin Hagn wanted to display one on his table and to comply with the ACGG rules he had to have built it to diplay it. Martin has always loved the lines of Farkies.
So I gave him a barreled action and he finished the metal work and the stock.

Posts: 107 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 23 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soroka,
are you considering to make a smaller frame version of your receiver?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in a rush to do that at the moment. It takes a fair bit of time to design, and make production ready one model. Might do one in the future when the insipration comes. What size would you think appropriate?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably something not over 2lb.
Hagn small frame is about that, 1/2 lb lighter than your Model 07, but it notable how trimmer & lighter the complete rifle ends up being when built on small frame.

I dont accurately recall who made the small frame Farq. receivers seen here, possibly Clayton Nelson:
chamberings are 6.5x57 and 17HMR respectively.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, dont hold your breath on this one as it will need more work than just making everything smaller. Will needto reconfigure the firing pin to enable this size to be achieved. Mabe in a year or 2. Its taken Martin 30 odd years to make his small frame action, so I got a bit of time up my sleeve....