New
Find
Notify
Tools

2015 Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Awhile back someone posted a thread on 24hourcampfired asking about custom projects for 2015. I posted my latest project over there and thought I should do the same here. Perhaps some more interesting projects will show up here. My latest is a rifle chambered for the 9.3x64 Brenneke cartridge. I used a very nice all matching numbers 1909 Argentine for the action. Reto Buehler did the metalwork including fitting and chambering a Lothar Walther .366" barrel for the Brenneke cartridge. He also fitted the Blackburn-Swift bottom metal and trigger to the action, along with a Dakota three-position safety. The action was a bit too soft to suit Reto, so he sent it out for a new heat-treatment. He worked the feeding over until it is smooth as silk and custom made and fitted bases for Talley scope rings. When all that was done, he sent the barreled action to Gary Goudy. I had given Gary a blank of Eurasian walnut a couple years earlier, which I asked him to use for the stock. I took delivery on the rifle about a week or so ago. I haven't yet been to the range with it, but will get that started this coming weekend. In the meantime, here are photos of the rifle in progress as well as the finished piece. It is photo heavy, so enjoy.

TT

The 1909 Argentine military action we started with.

The action and new components to be added to it.

The action after re-heat treating and finishing up by Reto Buehler

Stockwork in progress by Gary Goudy

Getting closer

Checkering underway

Finished Buehler/Goudy rifle.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to include a photo of the blank that Gary started with It is the blank on the left.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Love the caliber and a great looking rifle. If it were mine the only change I would make is a barrel band swivel but it isn't and I am sure it is exactly what you were looking for! I wish you many great days in the field with it.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice Tom. You sure must have a beautiful collection taken in their entirety.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle and it is an awesome caliber.....shoots flat and hits hard.

I have a 9.3x64mm that Duane built and if I could only keep one rifle it would be the one. Have a lot of load data for the 9.3x64mm if you are interested.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I latched onto the 9,3 Brenneke when I saw it in a 1980 Norma catalogue,
shame so many people have avoided such a splendid cartridge for so many yrs
due to much over exaggerated concerns of brass availability.

but every now and then someone sees the light.... popcorn

quote:
The action was a bit too soft to suit Reto, so he sent it out for a new heat-treatment.

wise move.

quote:
I used a very nice all matching numbers 1909 Argentine for the action.

I used to fuss like that also with donor M98 actions, but eventually came to realise it doesn't mean much
when one is planning to majorly barstardize it - by replacing numerous orig.parts with aftermarket versions from various different companies.

IF I found a good clean 1909 bare receiver on its own, I would not hesitate to use say an FN bolt.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How pretty is that? Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC_TX: I'll be headed to the range this coming weekend and would appreciate any load data that you would share with me.

Trax: I agree completely that the matching numbers aren't all that important for use on a custom job. Still, it is an indication that it has been "together" all along, for whatever that might be worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
MHC_TX: I'll be headed to the range this coming weekend and would appreciate any load data that you would share with me.

I sent you a PM with my email - send me an email and I will send you a spreadsheet.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Super!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just great as always Tom!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Tom, that's a beautiful rifle. I think you'll enjoy the 9.3X64 as much as you like your 270s. Like MHC, my Wiebe 9.3X64 would be one of the very last rifles I would part ways with. My loads should be in the spreadsheet MHC sends you. The cartridge does everything I hoped for and then some.

Thanks again for your part in giving me the custom rifle bug long before I ever imagined I would be in a position to build one.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Tom, what color are you going to paint it ?

Forrest, I hear you had a good fishing trip

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, another beauty, thanks for sharing with us...you keep Gary pretty busy!

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and on a nicely grained piece of walnut. Too bad rifles of this quality rarely come up for sale in middle non-magnum calibers of .284 up to .323
Thanks for bringing the pictures to AR.
Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, sir!

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second custombolt's comment. Today I saw a wonderfully done custom on a FN Supreme action, set in a gorgeous wood stock with lots of streaking and figure, in .375 H&H. If only it hadda been a .30-'06....

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Forrest, I hear you had a good fishing trip

Phil, we had a phenomenal trip. Nate did a great job putting it together for us...beautiful scenery, good company, and excellent fishing. It was everything we had hoped for. I am sorry though we couldn't synchronize our calendars so as to do some fishing on your side of Bristol Bay.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote