New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sterling Davenport
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any information or stories about Sterling Davenport or his rifles? Is he still in business? Not much is mentioned about him. He is excellent at his craft and I would like to learn about him and his fine rifles.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas, I've never owned one, but I guy I've hunted with in British Columbia has Sterling make his rifles whenever he wants a new one in a different caliber. Nice stuff, and quite reasonably priced based on what he showed me.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might PM bwanamrm. I believe that he has several of Mr. Davenport's rifles.
Dabney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine in Dallas got his from Sterling about 3-4 months ago.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7x57 that he built last year. When we last spoke he was not taking new orders due to his backlog.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a couple of his rifles come through my shop, and both were really well done. Top notch work all the way around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can see some of his early work in the book "Riflesmithing".

I have spoke to him a couple of times. Very nice guy.

Craftsman

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I've owned two.

Both exceptional rifles.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Really nice stuff

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, "Silver Sofa" is still working hard. (That's what Ken Howell's little boy - now a grown man - used to call him when Sterling first started doing work commercially.)

I used to have a .45-70 Siamese Mauser he stocked for me.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I currently have 3 of Sterling's rifles. I have a fourth in transit and one in his shop that is probably 1/3 finished. Sterling does absolutely beautiful stockwork. Most of my rifles are built on Model 70 actions including the 30-06 making it's way to my FFL as we speak. The 7x57 he is currently working on will be built on a fine FN action I picked up from FLA in the classifieds.

Sterling builds a classic rifle at a very fair price. Because of that he stays booked up several years in advance. Get on his list by talking to him and sending an action to him, if he will take it. I tried to get in line for awhile on several projects before finding a hole in his schedule. Once in awhile Cabela's or another fine gun store will end up with one of his rifles. PM me if you want his price list.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,

It looks like your 416 Rem. Mag has stippling instead of checkering. Any chance we could get a close up of the stippling?

Thanks!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sevens,
It is checkering... I am just a bad photographer!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 10 of his rifles, 505 Gibb to 250 savage.
current installment is a 404 Jeffery then a 7x57 on 1910 Mexican mauser then a 9.3x64!!!!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Square Shooter

Sounds like you sent his kids to college. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was real lucky in that I bought most of my rifles from him AFTER his kids got out of college. My intent is to fund his retirement till he's done! I have plans for a 250 Savage on a Kurtz action, 6.5x55 on a Mexican Mauser, 358 win. on another Mexican Mauser with knurled cocking piece and a45/70 on a slant box Mauser. i know the 45/70 sounds out of character but it could be fun!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote