THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    FN Custom 35 Whelen, near instant rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Custom 35 Whelen, near instant rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
FN action as made by FN. A very simple and quick build. No from scratch action making. Shilen barrel, Timney trigger, Talley signature bases and rings and a decent stick of American Black, Rosewood tip, crossbolt plugs and grip cap. A classic American styled rifle and roughly 6X less expensive than a rifle where I make the action from scratch.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet still extremely beautiful and classy!

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
Yet still extremely beautiful and classy!

Thanks!
My client was interested in a nice rifle that looks good and will get the job done. He's a hunter and this rifle will be used. I suggested better bottom metal, custom scope ring bases etc. bolt handle change out, etc. etc. the list goes on and on. His comment, not necessary I already have a good number of rifles with all the bells and whistles and at the end of the day makes very little difference on actual hunting use and just adds time and expense getting all that stuff in hand. "just work with what's already there...Ok, will do.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
First-rate stock work and a beautiful rifle.
I have a 35 Whelen done with a pre-64 M-70 , custom stock and the original barrel & sights-re-rifled & chambered. But this rifle is in another class.

If you get a chance, PM me on approximate cost of a similar rifle in 338-06. Thanks RM

Posts: 361 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice; nothing wrong with FN actions.

Posts: 17126 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work..especially the checkering..
RAy

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Could sell a bunch of these! Perfect rifle!

Always liked the FN actions

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh, what's not to love about that rifle?

I really think it's beautiful and totally classic/classy!

Thanks for sharing it with us, sir.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is a wonderful rifle !!! It seems to me that we're short on such working rifles that have some class as well. I couldn't agree more with your customer: bells & whistles do nothing to the function. Actually I probably wouldn't want to take even something that nice on my next trip to Alaska but probably on many lower 48 hunts. I suspect that there's lots hunters wanting something like that well done. thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. That would suit me very nicely! Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice looking rifle.

quote:
His comment, not necessary I already have a good number of rifles with all the bells and whistles and at the end of the day makes very little difference on actual hunting use and just adds time and expense getting all that stuff in hand. "just work with what's already there...Ok, will do.

But his comment also tells us.

That is why most people get by with factory rifles.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

quote:
His comment, not necessary I already have a good number of rifles with all the bells and whistles and at the end of the day makes very little difference on actual hunting use and just adds time and expense getting all that stuff in hand. "just work with what's already there...Ok, will do.

It's a want vs need argument. I knew a WW2 veteran who easily could afford all the customs he could get built, but he didn't. All production guns. He pulled the trigger on Colorado Elk until the age of 80. Lived to the age of 97. His rifle? A pre-war 70 in 30-06, only needed just the one. He would sight in then take 2 rounds of ammo and only 2. His take was "if you can't get it done in 2 you can't get it done with 20. He was not a fan of long shots either, he was all about getting as close as possible, which would explain the 2 shot idea.
A survivor of the Battle for Tarawa and a successful Denver area businessman. The name is John Price. Part of the greatest generation where duty and honor and selflessness came 1st.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sears Model 50 (FN) is jealous!!

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
My Sears Model 50 (FN) is jealous!!

It can be a problem, kinda like a sibling rivalry and when they get stuck in the back seat or in the same safe with each other seems the uglier one always wins, won't show the scars as much. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Stuart,
Beautiful work as always. We need to talk soon, the barreled action should be done early Jan.
John

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Stuart,
Beautiful work as always. We need to talk soon, the barreled action should be done early Jan.
John

OK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

quote:

It's a want vs need argument. I knew a WW2 veteran who easily could afford all the customs he could get built, but he didn't. All production guns. He pulled the trigger on Colorado Elk until the age of 80. Lived to the age of 97. His rifle? A pre-war 70 in 30-06, only needed just the one. He would sight in then take 2 rounds of ammo and only 2. His take was "if you can't get it done in 2 you can't get it done with 20. He was not a fan of long shots either, he was all about getting as close as possible, which would explain the 2 shot idea.
A survivor of the Battle for Tarawa and a successful Denver area businessman. The name is John Price. Part of the greatest generation where duty and honor and selflessness came 1st.
Why isn't there a 'like' feature on this forum?

Posts: 687 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Impressive as usual!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous classic rife.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I like it!!! Well done Stuart.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Love the furniture. I dont believe Ive seen a cheekpiece quite like that one before. It looks rather unique.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Very nice. Love the furniture. I dont believe Ive seen a cheekpiece quite like that one before. It looks rather unique.

Reminds me of an Echols Shrike. Although the front fades out in a different spot.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The inspiration for the stock design came from model a 70 that was stocked by Dale Goens.
I had the Goens rifle for a stock repair. The stock was broken thru the grip. I do like the Goens stock but the thought to make a stock like it never crossed my mind until the day my client dropped of his parts and wood for the 35 Whelen project. He was looking at a few rifles I had in the rack and he picked up the Goens rifle and liked the stock shape and checkering pattern. He asked if I could style the stock after the Goens stock so that's what I did.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
The inspiration for the stock design came from model a 70 that was stocked by Dale Goens.
I had the Goens rifle for a stock repair. The stock was broken thru the grip. I do like the Goens stock but the thought to make a stock like it never crossed my mind until the day my client dropped of his parts and wood for the 35 Whelen project. He was looking at a few rifles I had in the rack and he picked up the Goens rifle and liked the stock shape and checkering pattern. He asked if I could style the stock after the Goens stock so that's what I did.

Great info! Very nice rifle.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elegant looking thoroughbred, beautiful and timeless