Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt knob checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted
Who does bolt knob checkering? Ive tried to get hold of Charity Littleton, but she does not answer her phone or E-Mail. Who does it at a reasonable price? $40-$50 a panel.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggested T.J. Kaye to Jim Carmichel and he turned it pretty quick. My Enfield is on the way to Tommy at this time.

t.j.kaye70@gmail.com

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
My bolt is a Pre-64 Model 70. I'm not cutting off the bolt handle just to weld on a McFarland. I'm looking for someone who can hand checker bolt knobs.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know Tommy was still doing bolt knobs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carmichel's was a pre64.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My second custom is a Model 70 and I specifically had the handle cut off and replaced with a STRAIGHT checkered MacFarland. Just don't like swept back handles period.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Might check with LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks in Montana. All of my bolt knobs have been checkered on every rifle that I have had him build. He has a source for that and any other custom metal engraving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom mason:
My bolt is a Pre-64 Model 70. I'm not cutting off the bolt handle just to weld on a McFarland. I'm looking for someone who can hand checker bolt knobs.

Maybe a call would confirm if he will checker your bolt?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom mason:

Won't he checker the bolt knob you have?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one of mine done by Mark Penrod and another by Steve Heilmann. Both welded on.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Try Jerome Glimm. Here is a Bansner Ultimate Ovis handle that I had him do for me.

JC

http://www.gunengraver.biz/boltknobs.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerome is not taking any work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you try the Biesen family in Spokane, WA, Tom. Al had pretty much ended work when I was last there due to old age, but Roger is hard at it, and his daughter is a fine engraver who checkered the bolt knob of my left-handed Dakota 76.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Have you found someone to checker a Pre-64 70 knob handle. The knobs that I made and checkered on most rifles were lined out with a metal checkering file and then cut to depth with a 90* graver tool.

I wish I had a section of a Pre 64 handle to experiment on. I need one that hasn't been annealed when cut off. I believe they could be cut by using an graver that has the Frank Hendricks angles of 110* to 120*. I have tried these angles on stainless steel which is tuff to cut and this steel cuts like butter. The tool was written up about 20 yrs ago in the Engravers Mag.

I am wondering if the steel in the knob is 4140 or something else.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Have not found anyone yet. I have no idea how hard M70 bolt knobs are. I have several that have been checkered. I have 2 with 5 panel checkered knobs that came on J.K. Cloward rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dug up my paperwork from Blanchard's. I had some model 70 bolts and receivers heat treated there. The paperwork says the bolts are 4140 RC44 nominal if that helps at all.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
I dug up my paperwork from Blanchard's. I had some model 70 bolts and receivers heat treated there. The paperwork says the bolts are 4140 RC44 nominal if that helps at all.

Good info!!

Going to write that down somewhere.