Find
Notify
Tools

Duane Wiebe .404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What action did you use?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I can see , it must have been a
"Standard Mauser" ,(Normally Mauser Banner on front ring) .Forerunner of the officially adopted K98k.

They all had the commercial proof marks.(BUGN)
And very few were marked with Mauserwerke AG Oberndorf. The rest was stamped Standard Modell.

The square bridge welded on. Very nicely done, but the release button for the scope mount set to the back whilst the commercial Mausers had the button set to the front of the left side.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action is a 1933 Mauser Banner,and yes Oberndorf.

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never ever look at a Duane Wiebe thread and then go to the classifieds.

Sort of like looking at gorgeous leggy models in a magazine and then what they look like first thing in the morning...

Jus sayin

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thats an awsome rifle

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I wish ....!

Sigh!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
So far I can see , it must have been a
"Standard Mauser" ,(Normally Mauser Banner on front ring) .Forerunner of the officially adopted K98k.

They all had the commercial proof marks.(BUGN)
And very few were marked with Mauserwerke AG Oberndorf. The rest was stamped Standard Modell.

The square bridge welded on. Very nicely done, but the release button for the scope mount set to the back whilst the commercial Mausers had the button set to the front of the left side.

Good observation...I've gotten in the habit of putting the button to the rear to allow the ring to set a far forward as possible...some of these new scopes have a REALLY long ocular bell

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an absolutely a beautiful rifle! First Forrest's, now this! Wow! Duane, superb work as always. Just exquisite. MMP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody please delete this post! Makes it harder waiting on mine!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
That gun is so beautiful it hurts to look at it!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

They will be worth the wait! This rifle is just alive in the hands, the balance is perfect.
It makes you think you have an 3006 in your mitts. I got to shoot the rifle a good bit this last week, and just could not be more thrilled, the thing is a drill. Hornady softs and solids right there together. Averaging just over 2300 fps. I was very surpised just how well the factory ammo shot, I can't shoot better than the groups this combination produced.
I had never fired a single round of 404 before, this was a pleasant surpise, really managable recoil.
You know we go into these project with hope and expectations,and this isn't my first turn around the tree either. It is just very nice to see it all come together once.

Like I mentioned above, Duane said "this is going to be fun" and "it has to be fun". Well it is really a lot of fun when the results shoot this great,look and feel the way this rifle does.

Duane Wiebe, he is a hell of a gunmaker! And a great fella to work through a build with.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HBH, great to hear. Guess I'll just have to wait. I have a matched pair of Heym Magnum Mausers in the works with Duane....in 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs. They should take care of all my African needs.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Lisa Tomlin ain't bad either. MMP

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Bump! Ahhhh

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could anyone tell me who makes the barrel band used on this rifle?

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The sights and barrel band look like the German made Recknagel (NECG) ones.
Quality fittings deservedly suited to Duane's master pieces.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote