Find
Notify
Tools

Duane Wiebe .404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted

Duane asked that I post these for him. I will let him or the owner chime in with the details. The one thing he did ask that I mention is that the front ring does NOT encircle the front lens on either scope.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of the days when Michael Jordan was in his prime, watching him and realizing how special it was to witness a craft executed perfectly.
It feels like that with Duane. His work is just so superb.
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe again demonstrates his skills as one of the very, very best.

Sigh ...

Simply superb!

Sigh ...

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Now that is a truly awesome weapon.
The only thing needing fixing is It should have a Schmidt & Bender Scope. Of course IMHO Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rings clamped so close to scope end spells trouble !!!

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great looking rifle, thanks for posting the pictures and congrats to Duane and the ownwer!

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent rifle. A testament to the maker. Congratulations to the owner.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
The diffence is in the details and the rifles that Mr Wiebe has been producingcreating are truley remarkable in the details. Everyhting from the caliber engraving to the checkering is perfect. Mr Wiebe you are in class by yourself these days.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful

I especially like that style stock.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Another nice one Duane, Would like to see a picture of the bolt side. This is what makes happy customers...

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are a hellovalot of hours went into that project. 1st time i've seen a front sight hood lilke that, what a great idea

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
there are a hellovalot of hours went into that project. 1st time i've seen a front sight hood lilke that, what a great idea

I put one on a 9.3x62 for a guy in AK. It is on the NECG website listing under the "Toybox" heading.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby van der Putten:

What kind of trouble?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive.

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its my opinion that the rifle is too beautiful to put a scope on. The lines of the rifle shouldn't be interfered with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous...can't wait for my pair of Heym Mausers.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..again a true masterpiece from what I would consider the second best gunmaker in the US of A.
Whos the best??. I wouldn`t know, but Duane is definatly comes in second best Wink.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know what...I'm damned ashamed that I forgot to give credit to the engraver...Charles Lee...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is an exceptional rifle. But if you think that one is nice, wait until you see the .404J Duane is making me. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing Duane said when we first started down the path leading up to the rifle you see here was "This is going to be fun".

And it really has been just that "Fun".

I don't think you can see it in the photos, but the rifle is based on a 1933 Mauser banner action, and that is the time period I had hoped to be true to with is rifle. The front ring and left side remain unchanged. I think Duane caught all of that and still have a stock suitable for scope use.
I wanted the style of front ramp/hood that Duane used for both style and function, not to mention, maybe even I wont lose this hood. It is very similar to those you see offered on bolt rifles from H&H.

Charles Lee who did the engraving and stippling hit the nail square on the head aswell.

Getting to see rifles Duane has made for ForrestB and basically drooling on MHC's 416 helped me a lot - Thanks guys.

The rifle will go to Zim. in a few months.

In the end I wrote a check and asked Duane to please look both ways before you cross the street!!

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

A really well thought out rifle and executed by a true master gunmaker.

The stock lines are beautiful...exceptional!

Congrats to you and Duane!

Do you have a weight on the rifle?

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lots of things I like about this rifle. Like what appears to the serial number on the grip tang a'la the English style. Very nice.

Mike

Posts: 21221 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by bobby van der Putten:

What kind of trouble?

I have experienced a cracked lens when the ring was fitted too close to the end of the tube, the Zwarovski seems to be safe.

Congratulations on the rifle.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
There is a bit of belt and suspenders approach on this rifle,more than a little attention to detail. The area of your concern was not forgotten.

Many Thanks
HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without the scope(s)...8-3/4 lbs

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Duane--incredible. I came across another awesome rifle of yours, this time in 375H&H at Hallowells. What can you tell us about that rifle?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post

Duane asked that I post this for him. This photo shows where the front end of lens actually is. Duane spoke this morning to the tech staff at Leupold and they say "No Problem as long as the ring is not mounted directly over the lens" The folks at SONA say the same.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I feel like Charlie Sheen in crack house looking at these photos.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
x

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a dream rifle! It looks perfect! IMHO!

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typical work by Duane, just exquisite.

I haven't handled the rifle pictured, but I have handled others from Duane and I suspect that the pictures don't do it justice and the real beauty if in the way it handles.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I guess we need to talk.

Wink

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

I put one on a 9.3x62 for a guy in AK. It is on the NECG website listing under the "Toybox"

Jim, knock it off.
heading.

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bondy
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work again from Mr Wiebe!

Posts: 54 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 01 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Outstanding!!

Is the stock made of Bastogne?

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely not Bastogne. Looks Turk to me.
Wish we could see the other side.

quote:
Originally posted by metric:
quote:

Outstanding!!

Is the stock made of Bastogne?

M

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, the blank was from Luxus and is Circassian according to Adam.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane

Just curious as to how much time is involved in a project such as this (start to finish) if you have all your components?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What is the length of the barrel on this one?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ozhunter,

The barrel is 24" in length measured from front of the receiver.

Many Thanks

HBH