New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery Take Down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's an example of Roger Vardy dark, dense (really dense) Australian Walnut. I actually did most of the shaping with a body grinder 16 grit disk. The lock up is with a simple spring loaded plunger. The QD scope system is something I've fooled around with for years. As can be seen, the front is a wedge shaped dovetail..recoil tends to tighten upon firing. The wedge is blunt enough to allow easy removal and installation with one hand.

I'lll have this on display in Dallas.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Man that is a really super rifle!!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane

As always, very nice!!

Congrats to you and the owner.

See you in just a few days.

Brett

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I look forward to coon-fingering that bad boy.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn...

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's spectacular Duane. Very fine work.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
*expletive deleted*, that's a beauty Duane. Absolutely beautiful.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Good to see some quality Aus Walnut in use.
How is the return to zero like with your mounts?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Oh my,what a beauty.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think I now need to have three 404s.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite beautiful, but my favorite of all Duane's creations is still the LC Smith 20ga with .45/70 barrels. I used Duane's bottom metal for my .404 but I am still more of a SxS shotgun guy at heart.

Posts: 35 | Location: NE. Ga | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Did you use Alkenet root on this stock?

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Good to see some quality Aus Walnut in use.
How is the return to zero like with your mounts?

Truly wish I had more time to really "wring it out" before the show...lots of last minute fires to stamp out!

But..I can honestly say that it seems to be all I'd hoped for. The principle is pretty straight forward.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle...Good riflesmithing and player of an ol' man! Wink

Hope the owner ENJOYS this one.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Will you be at SCI Reno this year? If so will you have that rifle there?
Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:
Duane,
Will you be at SCI Reno this year? If so will you have that rifle there?
Jim

NO...going to Dallas

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Duane why the need for the over sized collar on the barrel at the breech end? Why does it need to be a larger O.D. than the reciever ring Confused Educate me please.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a stunning rifle, Duane. I'd lose quite a bit of sleep awaiting delivery of that if it were mine!

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Duane why the need for the over sized collar on the barrel at the breech end? Why does it need to be a larger O.D. than the reciever ring Confused Educate me please.

I little more abuttment area, keeps the rear of the fore end under control... bridges the joint between barrel and action. I know that isn't very apparent in photo Well..signing off for a few days...seeya in Dallas

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

I little more abuttment area, keeps the rear of the fore end under control... bridges the joint between barrel and action. I know that isn't very apparent in photo Well..signing off for a few days...seeya in Dallas

tu2 Thanks

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im not moved to want a particular rifle often but this one pushes all the right buttons. Spectacular rife.....I only wish it was mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle Duane, as always.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe that it is intended to do so, but I doubt that it really works.
The heart of that take down principle are the threads and their resistance to wear.
The rest are (mental) crutches for a man , who deep in his mind mistrusts the take down principle.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren`t bolt guns beautiful!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I only hope someday I can have you do a set of extended tangs and flat top checkering on a stock for ME.

Absolutely fantastic. I do like the scope base idea, very cool, and from what I see of it, very simple and effective.

I would very much like to see more of the take down mechanism, I greatly wish I could come visit you in Dallas. That feeling is only more spurred on by this rifle!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I was able to fondle . . . er, I mean, handle, this rifle today. I really like the scope mounting system. It is very simple, very solid and very quick to work. An outstanding rifle all the way around.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Duane I quickly looked at this take-down system of yours when I was in Dallas. I have one of your 500 jeffery take-downs with the cam lever than can be adjusted for take-up if and when the threads begin to wear. Does this system have something similar? The more and more I travel with Guns I love the trips when I can use a short case.
Thanks
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes...any thread wear can be adjusted...much the same manner as you'rs

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, how much wear is there on a take down rifle? I assume that is it due to putting it together and taking it down again. My doubles stay assembled and in the safe, as is my Blaser.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow...very nice ....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
So, how much wear is there on a take down rifle? I assume that is it due to putting it together and taking it down again. My doubles stay assembled and in the safe, as is my Blaser.
Peter

Threads can develop slop.

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Yes...any thread wear can be adjusted...much the same manner as you'rs

Ok, now we need to see pics of how the mechanics work.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote