New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Contour is this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to get an order placed for a new bbl, 257 roberts. I'd prefer to go with bartlein, but am not completely set. However, I want a contour very similar to the one shown in the below picture.

I am really trying to replicate the amount of breech plug that is visible (I think its about 5/16) and the gradual taper this has. If I need to spec a custom contour, that's ok with me. Can anyone help with a suggestion of I'd want to spec or alternatively, what bartlein or kreiger std contour would give me a finished product that mimics this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieger #2 that I had short shanked that looks very similar. I'm on my phone and if I can post a picture from it I will in a minute or two. Otherwise I'll do it later tonight.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, any chance you can take a picture of it straight on, close-up of the shank/slug area?

What change did you spec to the #2 contour?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No change to the contour at all. I'll have to get a better one when on back home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, what caliber is that? Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's a 280 Rem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another. If the weather cooperates today I'll try and get a good profile shot of just the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck, what does it mean that you had the #2 'short shanked'?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The straight cylinder section of the barrel had more cut off of it to save a bit of weight. That pulls the entire contour back towards the receiver.