THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Picatinny rail for pre 64 Winchester
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picatinny rail for pre 64 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I may have to use a picatinny rail to mount a short bodied scope on a pre 64 Model 70 action.

Is anyone doing this now and have you have problems with ejection? Or any other problems?

What manufacturer would you recommend for the rail and rings?

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
puuleeez don't! that would be like putting a string bikini on a 68 year old 378 pound grand mother.... you can do it.... you will not go to jail but for gods sake man in the name of all that is decent just do something different.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A curse upon you, sir, for even thinking such a thought. There are any number of extension type bases available which should allow you to mount the scope you want. Do your homework and treat your classic rifle to the scope mounts it deserves.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Heathen.......

Posts: 1036 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thoroughly chastised and do not resent the comments. It never seemed right to put a Picatinny rail on a pre 64.

Currently I am using Leupold double dovetail mounts. The scope is a bit further forward than I can use comfortably. If you have any suggestions, please let me hear them.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Look into Murphy Precision for a Picatinny rail.

Ejection is not effected. Loading is less convenient, smaller space to put rounds in.

Murphy Precision rails are very well made.

We've used the Murphy Precision products on many builds, including M70 builds, couldn't be happier with the fit and finish.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Look into Murphy Precision for a Picatinny rail.

Ejection is not effected. Loading is less convenient, smaller space to put rounds in.

Murphy Precision rails are very well made.

We've used the Murphy Precision products on many builds, including M70 builds, couldn't be happier with the fit and finish.

Will second this, Cameron Murphy does excellent work. I've used several of his bases and have been pleased with all of them.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Rail it if you must.

Sure pops the question : Why clutter the nice lines of that rifle and change the balance with extra metal?
These lightweight Talley's are just one suggestion. Depends on the design of your current mounts, if the scope ring is centered on the base. There are other similar options out there.

quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
I may have to use a picatinny rail to mount a short bodied scope on a pre 64 Model 70 action.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5118 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went thru this with my M70 (post 64) .270. I started with Leupold dual dovetail mounts but couldn't get the scope back quite far enough. Leupold now makes extended bases for the dovetail mounts. I put one up front and it was perfect, gave me plenty of adjustment range.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two different sets of Talley lightweight ring/base set up crack with me. I do not use them any longer.

The information that Leupold now makes extended bases for their double dovetail setup is perfect. I am using that now so all I need is the front base. Great info. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm glad you mentioned the TLR crack issue. I wasn't aware of it.
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
I have had two different sets of Talley lightweight ring/base set up crack with me. I do not use them any longer.

The information that Leupold now makes extended bases for their double dovetail setup is perfect. I am using that now so all I need is the front base. Great info. Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5118 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whoa! wait, they make an extended base for both ends as I recall, you could even use two..I have Leupold QDs on my mod. 70 pre 64 std. wt. .270 with one extended base. It has a 3.9 and room to spare..I also had a compact on it at one time..

I have used TAllEY since day one, never an issue, but I used the old QD models..still do. Steel is not crack prone..Aluminum is Im told.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote