THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom Remington 700 type action cheaper than accurising a Remington 700?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Remington 700 type action cheaper than accurising a Remington 700?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
In my opinion it's not, and I am just talking about hunting rifles here.

It is quite often said that by the time one gives a standard mass produced Remington M700 to a gunsmith for blueprinting, bolt lugs lapped, action true, action threads recut, one can buy a custom action that is cheaper.

Case in point, I purchased a Remington 700 SPS in .270 WSM for my 6.5mm SAUM build. I'm going to quote prices in New Zealand dollars here but it will give you an idea.

So, my Remington cost me $1000.00. As I was just after the action only, I sold the barrel, stock, original bolt and bottom metal for $700.00, leaving $300.00. The parts I kept were the trigger, recoil lug, follower and mag spring.

Now for the additions: a PT&G Oberndorf bottom metal assembly, Defensive Edge custom bolt release, Wyatts extended box mag and a complete new PT&G fluted bolt and aluminium bolt shroud. Total price of those components was $695.00.

So we are up to $995.00. If I then add just the Gunsmith cost in to true receiver face, lug recesses, check action threads and bolt face, fit the Wyatts mag box and defensive edge bolt release that was $627.00, bringing the cost now to $1622.00.

A Stiller Predator custom action currently retails here for $1695.00. These are a high quality action EDM wire cut with much finer tolerances than an M700.

Remember that price is for the base action ONLY.

What about the additional price you then have to pay for a trigger, bottom metal, follower and magazine spring. With those additions, the total price is going to be very close to 2k

My last accurised Remington 700, a heavy barreled 6mm/284, was a consistent 1/4 MOA for 5 shots, so I'm of the opinion you don't gain a lot by spending another $1000.00.

Like I say, I'm just talking hunting rifles here. I'd be the first to go for a custom M700 style if I was looking to build a tactical or bench rest rifle for competition.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed you were able to sell those parts for $700. You have some good deal-making skills.

Depending on what kind of accuracy demands you have and how deep you want your gunsmith to go in truing up a stock Remington action, you are probably going to spend more if you go the custom action route. I have gone both way when having a rifle built. I must say I'm very happy with my Borden action hunting rifle. It is scary accurate..more so than any factory action I've had trued, but I probably spent $400 more going the custom action route.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how bad do they gouge you on import tariffs.?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Kiwis get f'd pretty hard, one of the most expensive nations to live in as a hunter.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Mate,

We can buy the Remington bare actions for $300 (Brownells) here in the U.S. but the gunsmithing for truing the receiver, lugs, threads, etc. is going to be at least $350 and probably more.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
quote:
how bad do they gouge you on import tariffs.?

Not too sure sorry mate. We get stung on Goods and Services Tax of 15% with any overseas purchase over $400 NZ currently, and the Government plans to change it for any purchase at some stage.

Christ, I hope not. My suitcase is already full every time I go to Auckland.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing I saw was that guns were 20-50% more expensive than anywhere else I have seen.

Depending on how many people were import agents for a certain firearm.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I am on very firm ground is saying the resale value of any custom action rifle is several hundred dollars higher than any reworked Remington. I know we do not build guns to sell, but..

Posts: 725 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a Kiwi I know shooting is an expensive passtime in NZ, but I have to say if you think we are expensive Aussie is even worse.

As for return on investment, you could build a rifle on a custom 700 action and on the used market you'd be lucky to get the cost of the action back. Once it's used kiwis seem to think you should give it to them for 10c in the $1.

I've come to the conclusion that to get a reasonable return on my custom rifles I'd be better off exporting them to the US and selling them there. Alternativly if I could easily export them to Aussie I'd get an even better return.

Personally I'd rather start with a custom action than a factory action any day.

The custom parts you bought for the build, where and how did you get them as landed here I would think they would cost more than $695. I add those parts up to around US$500 which is NZ$727 at todays exchange rate, add 15% GST, shipping and also export permits to have those parts exported makes me wonder how you managed to buy them for NZ$695.

The price you quoted for a Stiller action includes export fees, shipping and GST, so if the parts you got didn't include that the prices you quoted aren't a fair comparison.

You are obviously a salesman to get the return you did on those parts you sold, I'm surprised the buyers didn't say "I can buy one from the US cheaper". The $180 you give for the gunsmith to do the work you say is obviously good value.

But I think realistically the cost difference is closer than you imply.

Given the amount of goods being imported into NZ by consumers who manage to get around the 15% GST I'm not surprised the NZ Govenrmant is looking at including GST on everything imported into NZ by everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We can buy the Remington bare actions for $300 (Brownells) here in the U.S

fwiw,
As in bare receiver NO BOLT... With a bolt and at FFL pricing they run $429-472 versus $460-509 list both 700 SA Blued versus Stainless.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...ivers-prod75065.aspx

Keep in mind what you are paying for...

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So in reality you saved approx $400 by using a Remington reciever instead of using a Stiller action, not the $1000 as you put in your original post.

BTW that consistant 1/4 moa 6x284 would've won the NZ Benchrest Nationals as the winning agg was bigger than 0.250 if I had a sporting rifle that would do that I'd never sell it, couldn't guarantee the next one would do that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy isn't the reason to take a custom action over a Remington. Durability and reliability is.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RyanB,

there is merit in what you say, but don't tell the US Military. They are still using Remington 700 based XM2010 rifles for their snipers in 308 and 300 Win Mag.

Back in my day in RVN we had OM 70's in 30-06.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Academy sports here in Texas (big box type store) has 700 adl's for under $400. Makes a very cheap starting platform.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
RyanB,

there is merit in what you say, but don't tell the US Military. They are still using Remington 700 based XM2010 rifles for their snipers in 308 and 300 Win Mag.

Back in my day in RVN we had OM 70's in 30-06.

The military procurement system is cumbersome enough to prevent them from buying better things.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood.

The old dogs in procurement are aghast at what the general in charge said about just buying Glocks instead of spending, iirc, $37 million to analyze the future needs and letting a contract out for bids. And taking three or four years...

Rich