New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scrollcutter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a terrifying incident. We had a hell of a storm come thru last night. Roger, his wife and grandson were in the front room...wind blowing like crazy and he thought of the two giant eergreens out back on his neighbor's property.

For whatever reason, intuition, instinct, he rushed the family down the hall and not ten seconds later, those trees crushed the house right where they had been. He's off the grid right now, may be for a while

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Glad Roger is alright. Will keep he and his family in our thoughts. If there is anything we can do to assist Duane, let us know.

Mike

Posts: 21361 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
OMG! Thankfully he and his family are all right!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If there is anything we can do to assist"

Absolutely. I can't send much, but I can sure send something. Let us know.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thank God that Roger and his family are OK.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good to hear everyone is ok.

Yes it was quite a storm; wind & light show. sofa

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2801 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Seattle when it happened and saw no sign beyond some rain. Got back to Yelm and all was quiet but I heard it was pretty wicked. Friend lost a deck and the roof on the garage and house.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well..not my place to seek or deny assistance. My spin is that they are just fine considering the circumstances.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is OK.

Also glad he followed his instincts.

Mother Nature gave us these instincts over man's evolution for survival purposes. It's best to listen to them when the hair stands up on the back of your neck and arms.

Never ignore your gut feelings when in bad circumstances.

Remember the old saying, 'It's just the wind.'? Well, in this case, it WAS!

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right! I attended a class once long ago and the prof admonished us to ALWAYS trust your intuition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
You're right! I attended a class once long ago and the prof admonished us to ALWAYS trust your intuition.

One needs to listen to ones sixth sense as it is called over the years it has saved my butt more then once.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger wanted me to thank all for the kind offers and thoughts. Photos show his house just about cut in two.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt.

I hate the threads with just another member's name in them. I always fear the worst.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang, what a story. Those doug firs get big, got a few big ones on my place that make me nervous when winds kick up. Those storms last week were pretty strong, but mostly skirted my place.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

You actually remember something from a class!!??

I'm very thankful Roger and his clan are alright and pray they'll get back to normal in their home quickly.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FB: I even remember why I went

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear of the accident but very glad to hear nobody was hurt.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful emails guys.

My wife, grandkids and I are all scratch free, and we are
thankful and grateful to be alive. Our home didn't fair too well, but eventually all will be back to normal.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Intuition is real,always go with it..Its saved my life also.

Take up a notch in your belt and remember when the going gets tough, the tough get going. and don't forget the good Lord watches over his flock. you were blessed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41950 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Gut instinct rules!

I have dropped several tall fir trees around our place. Better to have them in the firewood shed than splitting a roof on the house!!!

These things get real big. Last one to yield to the mighty Stihl was 55 inches at the base and around 120 feet tall. And by old growth standards it was a teen ager.

Problem with Fir is a spreading shallow root system. Soak the ground with a lot of rain as we have had out here in NW Washington State and strong gust will bring them down.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Stayed on a farm in Victoria, Australia about 5 years ago. We hunted their regularly, and joked about the size of a big gum tree that had a diameter of over 15 feet within 20 yards of the house.

Called to book it a few months later and hopefully get some wildboars, and was told the house was crushed by the tree.

It was a house from the mid 1800s, and there were some graves from the period in the back yard. The gravestones survived but everything else was destroyed.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote