New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt knob treatment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the Oberndorf style bolt knob, do you prefer a checkered/ engraved knob or plain smooth.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Three or four tear drop panels with inside checkering for me.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wondered about bolt operation .Why do some choose thumb and forefinger to operate it and some choose holding the knob in the palm ???
Then I came across a WWI training photo -a long line of soldiers on the firing line and I could see every one of them. About half were thumb and forefinger types and half palm types !! I guess they had their choice ! faint
Mine is smooth , the favorite is my M98 with original round 5/8" smooth knob.I'll keep the checkering for other things ! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Year of shooting high power competition with a bolt gun brought me to a method of bolt operation in which the bolt is opened using the index finger alone. Using that system, the smoother the bolt knob, the better.

Bolt knobs checkered on the under side have an abrasive effect on my finger and I try to avoid them. This applies only to cut checkering. Stamped checkering, like that of a Remington 700, has no such effect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smooth for me.

I have a couple of guns that I use for 'roo culling here Australia. In a night, you might fire 150 shots, I palm the bolt, so a smooth bolt knob is a must.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I like the MacFarland 2 panel with border on my own rifles.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
checkered. In times of stress, and a sweaty palm I would like the added help grasping the bolt.

jmho...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Smooth for go; checkered for show.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

+1

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've used and hunted with both and well, no.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:

I've used and hunted with both and well, no.

Same here. I don't think there is a nickels worth of difference as far as hunting goes. It's more about esthetics than anything else.

If you like it then get it. If you don't it'll never be missed.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If there was any real advantage, the tens of millions of bolt action military rifles used in the last two centuries would have had checkered handles.
Of course, to some individuals, they like them.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
dpcd, seems if I remember the much vaunted Mauser had a flat bottom boltknob and was checkered.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I already knew any checkering didn't provide other that cosmetics, but wasn't sure if there was a real reason to avoid it. More than likey I'll just do a couple plain handles so I have the option of having them checkered and engraved down the road if I have the floor plates done.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote