THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Mexican Mauser Project – 7x57 Mauser - Update #1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mauser Project – 7x57 Mauser - Update #1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Mexican Mauser Project – 7x57 Mauser

I have a new project underway that I would like to share with you. Thanks to a good friend I have a really nice super clean 1910 Mexican Mauser. I spent a good amount of time trying to decide what would be the best project for it and decided to go with the classic 7x57. But I did not want just another sporter – I wanted something very unique and special. All my life I have wanted a beautiful mannlicher stocked rifle – so that is what it will become. Before I moved forward I wanted to find the perfect blank. I wanted quarter sawn with perfect layout but was open to suggestion on what thin shelled walnut to use. I found a really niceTurkish blank at Chiron that had everything I was looking for. The wood is not fancy, but it is quarter sawn with perfect layout and has some subtle tiger striping. The stock will be very slim and trim with an oval cheek piece

I decided to have Dean Zollinger do all the work on the rifle. He has done amazing work for my Dad and I in the past and I could not think of a better guy for the job. Dean has all the parts and has already started working on the action. I was in his shop yesterday and he has the action surface ground and is working on other parts as well. Dean says of all the Mex’s he has worked on he has never had one that cleaned up as easily as this one did when he surface ground it.

I did not have my camera with me but I will be stopping by later and will get some additional progress pics. I attached some pics of the action and stock blank – sorry but the only pics of the blank I have are of the from the listing at Chiron.

Here are the specs for the rifle:

Caliber – 7x57 Mauser
Action – 1910 Mexican Mauser
Barrel – 20” light trim contour – Douglas 1:9
Sights – trim island rear sight with ramp front
Safety – Dakota 3 position
Bolt handle – Wiebe Oberndorf bolt handle
Scope bases – Zollinger custom double square bridge cut for Talley rings
Extractor – new Wisner
New firing pin
Bottom metal – Blackburn
Trigger – Blackburn
2 screw steel grip cap
Wiebe inlet swivel bases
Niedner checkered steel butt plate
Steel nose cap
All metal rust blued

As the project progresses I will post additional photos. For now the “before” photos are posted below.

I have to mention a special thanks to Budiceale and ForrestB for making this project a reality. Without their kindness and help this project would be only on my wish list instead of becoming a reality.

I look forward to sharing this project with you as it comes to life and hearing your comments and suggestions.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I can't wait for the progress pics.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean has built a number of rifles for me in the past, pre 64's and Mausers. All his work is outstanding, and his lightweight mausers are absolutely magic!!!
You're going to be more than pleased with the results!

Ed

Posts: 683 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to following this one. The blank is fantastic for the purpose as is the list of components.

And its a 7x57 so it will be a winner.

Von Gruff

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be building this rifles little brother! I have a 1910 I just started in .257 Roberts. I will be especially interested in the square bridges cut for talleys.

I look forward to following!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1481 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill

no thanks needed but you're welcome anyway. with your taste in rifles and mr. zollinger's top notch workmanship, this rifle promises to be a beauty. i'm really looking forward to watching it progress.

the only thing i would have done different would be to have it built in .275 rigby Big Grin Big Grin

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great project. I love that kind of understated wood. If it was my project, I would make one change: I would search around and see if I could find a Tom Burgess two position safety. I am not knocking the Dakota--I have one on an FN and I think that they are the best looking of the three piece, but to me the Burgess keeps the Mauser look. Good luck on your project

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to be gorgeous. I love that stock. I don't know what it cost, but nice full length stocks are not laying around. And when you find them, look out. Nice job on picking your parts and smiths. Looking forward to this thread, that's for sure.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Bill,
As usual another winning combination. As you know I am also fond of the full length stocks and a fast handling light little 7X57 just seems to fit the bill perfectly. Good luck with this project and I will check in often. Hope you are enjoying civilian life to it's fullest, take care and God bless. cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful project,

I think the 7x57 is a fine round to do in a 1910 Mexican.

I have a 1910 Mexican rebarreled in 7x57 that is still being worked on.

I forsee it being the last of my custom mauser retirement rifles.

I have mausers in 22-250, 6.5x55, .257 roberts, .243 now.

My out to pastur retirement rifles will be complete with my little 1910. Smiler

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for their kind words and interest in my project that i received with my earlier post. The rifle is coming along nicely. Dean Zollinger had surface ground the action and has it cleaned up and looking great. There are some finishing touches he will do down the road. Such as thin the tang and do some clean up of top of the left rail. he waits to thin the tang until he is through with the fitting so that will be down the road. He also has the barrel contoured and threaded. He is leaving the barrel long until the project is complete so that he has a handle to hang onto as the project progresses. The bolt handle is tacked on and will be done probably by the time this is posted. He wanted to get my approval before finishing it up, thus the reason it is not complete in the photos. As you can see the rifle is really coming along.

As progress is made I will continue to update with additional photos.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
looking mighty fine bill. this is going to be fun to watch

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
OMG! What happened to the charger hump?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

Good question Forrest!,....... jumping

I dont miss the hump on Mexicans like this...

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

Good question Forrest!,....... jumping

I learned not to do that anymore. I make Duane fit the scope bases around the hump now. He complains a lot but it looks better. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
If it had of been a Peruvian with the high charging hump there is no way it would have been ground off. With the way Zollinger is doing the bases the hump wont be missed and the bases will look awesome.

It has been really cool watching Dean as he has worked on this rifle. Seeing the finished product is great - but seeing it come to life with each step of the process is even better.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

It looks like the start of a very beautiful rifle.
Dean may of told you that it cleaned up easily, but in fact there is one hell of lot of work that has went into getting it look like that. I have seen a lot of actions surface ground and the attention to detail on this one exceeds them all.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated.
I'm enjoying it

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote