Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
We are blessed to have some real craftsman in the gunmaking trade. I thought I would share a couple of pictures of a stock repair that JJ Perodeau did recently for me. Last month I purchased a Westley Richards .375 H&H that had had its original stock broken in shipping at some point in its life. The rifle had been restocked in a McMillan fiberglass stock that actually looked very nice but I wanted to see if the original stock could be repaired. I was not optimistic given the nature of the break which you can see below. I inquired with JJ and he said to send it to him. Several weeks later JJ calls me to say he is ready to ship the stock back to me. Take a look at the before and after pictures. JJ described the repair to me and I am confident that if the stock breaks again . . . it will not be in the repaired area. I'm always amazed at what a true craftsman that is a master of their trade can do with their hands.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Wow that looks great Mike!

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good repair.. too bad the wood was a poor layout in the first place

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Tell us more about the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing work.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Good repair.. too bad the wood was a poor layout in the first place

Duane, could you expand on your comment so some of us could learn something?
Thank you!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fore and aft pictures.

Nice repair. That one appears to have taken a major hit from a jealous airline handler. Would the stock have survived had the grain (ultimately) turned down through the wrist? Tough call since I wasn't there and I'm a bit skeptical. But my experience is a drop in the bucket compared to DW's.
I watched a Mexican package handler slam our 6 bottles of Kahlua and some rum bottles down so hard it broke two of the bottles.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5104 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Custom Bolt covered it, but yes, the grain (not necessarily water marks) really must follow the angle of the grip...the weakest part the stock.

Then the grain should follow the barrel, preferably slightly upward toward the tip.

If the wood happens to be nicely figured..you may have a keeper.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a miroku sidelock with mr peredeau right now.

I can’t wait to get it back, not looking forward to seeing bill.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Did he put a reinforcing rod in.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
He used two long screws that were put in behind the grip cap.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
How about some more photos of your Westley. would love to see it. Nice that you able to bring her back to original, looks great.

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Duane & guys!

I was curious, as I thought that a straight grain throughout the stock from the butt to fore end was the strongest and this rifle looked like it had that quality in the stock. I guess I learned something today!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.
The top gun and bottom gun have nice woodgrain through the wrist (grip).

Posts: 5104 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Learned something through this thread, thanks DW and Custombolt for the info, and cheers Mike on your rifle

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great repair. Hardly noticeable and I bet a hell of a lot stronger now.

I am toying with a repair on a M70 Safari Express stock that has split from front crossbolts to rear of action on left hand side. You can see external setback on rear of front crossbolts. Never rebedded from crappy factory thermoplastic bedding. Is a 458 Win Mag and obviously set back and accordioning of magazine walls ( as per Jack Lott in Big Bore Rifles) and split stock between front recoil lug and magazine well.

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think David Miller Co always put a rod through the grip on a timber stock.

JJ has done a wonderful job.

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rod thru the grip on the OP rifle could have helped the basically improper laid out stock.

Most failures I've seen is a break right at the rear guard screw and most likely caused by by some anti gun at UPS driving over the case with a fork lift!! Or...anti gun baggage handler (Tire tracks prove it!)

A rod won't help a bit. because the rod does not bridge that weakest part...the guard screw area.

Rally want a super strong grip...go with extended tangs. I always recommend these on the really heavy hitters, such as 500 Jeff, 505 Gibbs, etc.

Of course. a bullet proof gun case is mandatory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 3 guns Custom Bolt has shown pics of, I would have chosen the middle blank based on figure, not layout. I guess that's the problem. A lot of good looking blanks but not many that are laid out properly or perhaps perfectly...

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple blanks with awesome figure where the grain went sideways through the grip area when viewed from the top.

Here's the grain flow through the grip of the middle stock showing the top and other side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I have a miroku sidelock with mr peredeau right now.

I can’t wait to get it back, not looking forward to seeing bill.

How do I reach this Mr Peredeau~? Forearm on a Win 1885 needs repair.

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
A rod thru the grip on the OP rifle could have helped the basically improper laid out stock.

Most failures I've seen is a break right at the rear guard screw and most likely caused by by some anti gun at UPS driving over the case with a fork lift!! Or...anti gun baggage handler (Tire tracks prove it!)

A rod won't help a bit. because the rod does not bridge that weakest part...the guard screw area.

Rally want a super strong grip...go with extended tangs. I always recommend these on the really heavy hitters, such as 500 Jeff, 505 Gibbs, etc.

Of course. a bullet proof gun case is mandatory.

So it’s not just for looks? Nice. Wow. There is so much to learn here.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is Mr Peredeau located. There is a Custom Gun Maker Guild guy I use out in Vanderbilt PA. Does great work too. I NEED to go to the Tusla show at least once in my life (why don't the run it for 4 of 5 days?), and see it in November this year, so just might get things set up to go. like Wiebes explanation of the problem and solution.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
here is Mr Peredeau located. There is a Custom Gun Maker Guild guy I use out in Vanderbilt PA. Does great work too. I NEED to go to the Tusla show at least once in my life (why don't the run it for 4 of 5 days?), and see it in November this year, so just might get things set up to go. like Wiebes explanation of the problem and solution.

Is his name Bill Simmen~?

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote