New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards dimensions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For lack of a better place to post this...I love the lines of the Westley Richards standard rifle. Would one of you that owns one be kind enough to measure the length of the forearm from the front action screw to the end and let me know. Also, the length of the ebony for-end cap itself as well. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet that WR themselves would be happy to help you if you call or shoot them an email.

Luckily, they are still making guns

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
There are more than a couple of WR owners on here, hopefully one will pitch in. On my non-magnum caliber English rifles, from center of the front guard screw to the tip is 9". In my experience, Buffalo horn was used for tips more often than ebony, either looks great. The last Buff horn rounds that I got for tip material came from Jantz knifemaking supply, but they are not showing it. You can do an internet search and find some. 1-1/2" x 2" long works, but 1-1/4 diameter is more common and should be JUST enough. The tips were much smaller than American style and usually less than 2" long. What is your project?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the type of fore end you are referring to? If so, I can measure it tomorrow.

This WR was a wreck when I got it, but a rebore and rechamber job from 8X57IS to 9X57 and a refinishing job by Lon Paul brought it to its present state.

This is the finished version:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
xausa, et al,
Thanks for the responses.
Actually xausa, no that is not the fore end I was talking about...but I like it. I like the shorter English fore ends. But, I am talking about on the newer custom (semi-custom) they are turning out now. I know they are longer but they look nice. Thanks for the offer.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...851045231#6851045231
The rifle in the link above is the one I am talking about. Man that thing is sexy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lightened that photo up a little so we can see the quality of the wood:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:

That's pretty much a conventional American fore end design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's pretty much a conventional American fore end design.

I disagree. Though a little different than your old gem, the new WR rifle’s forearm looks quite pre-war WR, in general. I think Waffenfabrik Mauser took cues from WR, H&H, and Jeffery when designing their “Type A” forend. Modern American forends seem beefier, in general, to me. Just my humble opinion. Furthermore, I think it’s getting hard to pin down what a current “conventional American” forearm design is. The old British designs seem popular, and having an influence on our tastes.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A scale on the photo will get you very close.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,
I have studied that craigster.
Looks like the walnut ends about 1/4" short of where the point of the Quarter Rib ends. I have an H&H that has the same lines and ends at the same place so that is probably the measurement that I will go by. The H&H and WR are very close on these dimensions I believe as ColoradoMatt mentions as well.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have the 1999 printed catalog (I miss those!) that has this rifle in it. I regard this rifle as having the perfect dimensions for my tastes. I've looked at it an embarrassing number of times...

That said. The barrel on it measures 7.25" and the forend measures 2.6875" - both from the front of the action. The total length of the stock from the forened tip to the heel is 9.5". You can do the math to find the ratios you are looking for.

An important factor is that if you follow the angle made by the bottom of the forened through the grip it intersects the center of the butt pad.

And just FYI - in 1999, the starting price for this rifle was a mere 12K, the double, 46K.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Just for kicks I looked at another rifle on their website:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Baxter.
I too have looked at it too many times.
Thank you for the measurements, I'll do the calcs on it and see what I come up with. The forearm angle was a mystery to me as well, but you made it make sense. Thank you for that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock dimensions shown has pleasing lines. In the real world of a properly fitting stock, the dimensions can change a bunch. The goal is to make the stock fit and sill have pleasing lines

Posts: 3459 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote