New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want To Buy A Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've sold a few rifles and saved a few bucks and would like to buy a used custom rifle. I'd like it made by a well known gunmaker, living or dead, and marked with his name or with documentation. I prefer Pre-64 Model 70 actions, but wouldn't reject a Mauser. I'm not looking for a lightweight rifle--24-26 inch medium weight barrels and graceful but not overly slim stocks are preferred. I like dark wood. I'm not fussy about calibers, except for avoiding strange wildcats. I'd like the rifle to have some special features (like a quarter rib, extra nice checkering, etc.) and not just be another "plain Jane" custom.

If you know of any custom built rifles that fit the bill I'd really appreciate hearing about them.

And yes, I do know what such rifles cost these days.

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I do check the internet sites and Hallowell, Schwandt, Cabela's etc. I thought there might be a gem or two waiting to come out of the woodwork from someone on AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoomDetail.aspx?id=3544

This is what I would buy if I were you.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,

Great looking rifle. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a look on gunsinternational.com, under custom rifles, there are some top notch rifles listed.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're patient, such rifles show up here on the AR Classifieds once every few weeks, and at prices that are well below what retailers ask for name-built rifles.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This post reflects a group of Griffin & Howe rifles I put up for sale some time ago: http://forums.accuratereloadin...551028541#4551028541

The Model 70 .35 Whelen is still available, should you be interested in it.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'd sell this Al Biesen .25/06 on a pre-64 Winchester. I'm not sure the rifle has even been fired. It is a really nice piece and only a fraction of the cost duplicating it. $3100 ppd to FFL. Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x
that's pristine with mounts for additional $300.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Thanks--I sent you a private message--not sure I did it correctly. If you don't get it let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piece from a renowned builder.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Did I say it was a pre-64? Let's try Mauser instead.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought a dozen or so Customs over the internet and have yet to find the 1. If this is your 1st custom go to a good store that has selection of guns, see what feels right to you. The way you are describing what you want will end us as a 12 pound rig, more that I'd want to hunt with. I'd make up a question sheet with the specs you want, I once bought a custom with a 12" pull because I didn't ask the pull length. I have bought and sold a lot & have never lost more than a few hundred dollars on a purchase/sale.

I'd also look at the custom rifle section of Gunsamerica.com.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, that is an excellent point! Speaking for myself I tend to look first at "the looks" ie. the wood and overall impression rather than the "details" which realistically can best be seen "in the flesh". I guess a 3 day return would be best, especially given the price one pays.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Tidbit here...If I might make a comment or two.
Custom rifles are a Catch 22: they are what you or someone else thought would be a good or great idea. I have had built 4 rifles and one shotgun...all beautiful and well made to my eye. All were built buy local gunsmiths in my area with good reputations for quality and reliability. All of these firearms except one were built uisng good materials and fine wood. The one rifle that was not built on wood was built as a light weight rifle for mountain hunting with a synthetic stock and served me on many hunts.

My ideas are for a firearm that functions well under all conditions: wet, cold, heat and with dirt in the action and often with a firearam that has not been cleaned in many days . You just never know what you might encounter on a hunt. The good looks soon go by the wayside in the moment of truth (being ready to shoot). Good looking wood and wonderfull metal work are great but only if you are prerpared to use the firearm. I know many, again MANY, fine guns that sit in safes only brought out to show to another hunter. The firerarm is only fired at the range and is never carried afield because the beautiful work is tool costly to scratch-up or put a ding or crease into. Jack O' Connor would have rolled over in his grave.

Firearms are tools. Tools that most of us use to achieve some goal: a good sheep, a great whitetail deer or wahtever your desires. That is all: the animal needs to be dispatched quickly and not worry about that fancy rifle. But like most of us we fall prey to the pretty and beautiful.

And what about stock fit: part of what a custom firearm costs is because the gunsmith has to make "adjustments" to standard stock design to accomodate the customer. Plus; barrel lenghts, caliber, optics and on and on.

Looking to Cabela's or Guns International is fine but you are getting what someone else thought would be a good firearm. Yes, you can have the stock shortened or a new barrel put on or maybe a different scope but it still comes down to the the fact that it was someone else's idea. Maybe you should sit down and figure out what YOU really want and then go looking for the gunsmith to build that "perfect rifle".

As an aside: I have settled on two rifles for my hunting pursuits: a .270 in a pre 64 Winchester configuration with a custom light weight synthetic stock for most of the game. The second rifle is a custom built .375 H & H built in the early 60's. Both rifles have served me well and I never feel a need for anything else. But I, like all hunters, am always looking.

Not trying to tell anyone how to do his hunting...just an guy who has tried a lot of things that just did NOT work. Stick to the reasonable: regular calibers, good stock wood and a good action (pre 64 Winchester or whatever your likes) work with a quality optic. You will be glad you did. Spend those "hard earned" dollars on going hunting...not another firerarm.

An old man thingking out loud...If I have offendeed anyone...please forgive me.

I have seen the elephant and hunted him,

tidbit

Always do right: this will amaze some and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tidbit824:
Gentlemen,

Tidbit here...If I might make a comment or two.
Custom rifles are a Catch 22: they are what you or someone else thought would be a good or great idea. I have had built 4 rifles and one shotgun...all beautiful and well made to my eye. All were built buy local gunsmiths in my area with good reputations for quality and reliability. All of these firearms except one were built uisng good materials and fine wood. The one rifle that was not built on wood was built as a light weight rifle for mountain hunting with a synthetic stock and served me on many hunts.

My ideas are for a firearm that functions well under all conditions: wet, cold, heat and with dirt in the action and often with a firearam that has not been cleaned in many days . You just never know what you might encounter on a hunt. The good looks soon go by the wayside in the moment of truth (being ready to shoot). Good looking wood and wonderfull metal work are great but only if you are prerpared to use the firearm. I know many, again MANY, fine guns that sit in safes only brought out to show to another hunter. The firerarm is only fired at the range and is never carried afield because the beautiful work is tool costly to scratch-up or put a ding or crease into. Jack O' Connor would have rolled over in his grave.

Firearms are tools. Tools that most of us use to achieve some goal: a good sheep, a great whitetail deer or wahtever your desires. That is all: the animal needs to be dispatched quickly and not worry about that fancy rifle. But like most of us we fall prey to the pretty and beautiful.

And what about stock fit: part of what a custom firearm costs is because the gunsmith has to make "adjustments" to standard stock design to accomodate the customer. Plus; barrel lenghts, caliber, optics and on and on.

Looking to Cabela's or Guns International is fine but you are getting what someone else thought would be a good firearm. Yes, you can have the stock shortened or a new barrel put on or maybe a different scope but it still comes down to the the fact that it was someone else's idea. Maybe you should sit down and figure out what YOU really want and then go looking for the gunsmith to build that "perfect rifle".

As an aside: I have settled on two rifles for my hunting pursuits: a .270 in a pre 64 Winchester configuration with a custom light weight synthetic stock for most of the game. The second rifle is a custom built .375 H & H built in the early 60's. Both rifles have served me well and I never feel a need for anything else. But I, like all hunters, am always looking.

Not trying to tell anyone how to do his hunting...just an guy who has tried a lot of things that just did NOT work. Stick to the reasonable: regular calibers, good stock wood and a good action (pre 64 Winchester or whatever your likes) work with a quality optic. You will be glad you did. Spend those "hard earned" dollars on going hunting...not another firerarm.

An old man thingking out loud...If I have offendeed anyone...please forgive me.

I have seen the elephant and hunted him,

tidbit

It's very hard to disagree with you, tidbit Wink

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And welcome to AR, by the way. It's good to have sane, reasonable new members....helps to balance out the rest of us loonies!

One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaboku68:
http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoomDetail.aspx?id=3544

This is what I would buy if I were you.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Yep, I concur with that!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by Tidbit:
Maybe you should sit down and figure out what YOU really want and then go looking for the gunsmith to build that "perfect rifle".

We'd all like to do that but some of us can't afford it and need to buy used rifles (or second hand rifles). The prices charged by the top custom gunmakers are out of reach for many of us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does help to keep looking in the Aa classifieds. Seven years ago, I bought an 8mm Mauser sporting rifle from a member who does not post here these days at what I consider an extremely fair price. The rifle does not have any pedigree but it shoots beautifully with its iron sights and is light to carry and nice to look at. No pedigree, but that doesn't matter one bit considering how it shoots.

Just wait with a hunter's patience and you will find something lovely right here. Cheers!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, I concur with that!

Very nice rifle but be sure and check the LOP. At 13 1/4" it is shorter than average! Most folks need a 13 1/2" to 14" LOP.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have come full circle on customs. I have owned Sako, pre-64's, model 700's, Dakota's, Ruger, new model 70's and several customs.

All have pluses and minuses. I sold all but the new FN Model 70's. They fit me, cost about a $1000 each and shoot sub MOA. In the end, it is about the hunt, not the gun.

I like nice stuff, but the new Model 70 does what I need.

Posts: 10165 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate you, hate you, hate you!!!! You are RIGHT and I know it and have 30+ big game rifles, some of which are quite costly. I have two customized sts. Classic Mod. 70s, a .338WM and a .308Win. in Micky Fwt. handles and I WISH I had your self discipline and could just keep these two!!! SmilerSmilerSmiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey.
...I know it and have 30+ big game rifles...

Got any nice custom rifles? I can help you reduce your inventory!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skip the Brace rifle which is nice.
That AL Biesen rifle is nice and would be a great gun.

I thought all of those GH rifles were sold. They are timeless.

However

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100189440

God it sucks having good taste.

I have to settle for my cooper and my SC Model 70.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine custom rifles are a lot more than a list of specs. After years of messin' around with rifles, I decided that I wanted a full custom. I designed it myself, including elaborate sectional drawings of the stock. I did all of the work except for the barreling and chambering. Even rust blued it. Oh, Kathy Forster did the beautiful fleur-di-lis pattern. The finished product was lovely, but did not balance well and there isn't much I can do about it. Too much barrel.

Will I try it again? Will Charlie Brown have another shot at the football? Competent custom gunsmiths earn their dough.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tidbit824:
Good looking wood and wonderfull metal work are great but only if you are prerpared to use the firearm. I know many, again MANY, fine guns that sit in safes only brought out to show to another hunter.

I enjoy owning two types of rifles--those that I shoot and hunt with and those that I only admire. Some are purely tools. Others are fine examples of the gunmaker's art. I get equal pleasure from both.