.505 Gibbs - Magnum Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. It's interesting that they thought that there was a need for a gas escape hole in the left side of the reciever ring.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax

Who built it and what year ?

is that another one from the collection built up over 35 years like the Rigby on the pug web site.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Beautiful rifle. It's interesting that they thought that there was a need for a gas escape hole in the left side of the reciever ring.

Brevex felt the desire or need, so did Pete Grisel when building M98 type receivers.
However, Brevex also cut/broached both sides, so their magnum M98 receivers are H-ring not C-ring like the orig. Oberndorf Magnum actions.
Now some might claim it makes no difference, however Tom Burgess test results indicated that a H-ring behaved differently when testes to failure.
H-ring FN mausers split/peeled all the way back to the ejector slot!.... Big Grin he reported no such behaviour from C-ring mausers when tested to failure.
All the premium new M98 action manufacturers of today[as far as I'm aware] do C-ring configuration,...I have not found a premium maker who doesn't. Dakota forms a c-ring using barrel material.
Integral bolt handles also seem std. on most of the respected new manufacture m98 actions.

quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Trax

Who built it and what year ?

is that another one from the collection built up over 35 years like the Rigby on the pug web site.

Highman & Laubscher.
Yes, from the same collection.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Someone that just had those two rifles would have a pretty damn nice collection in my view.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Someone that just had those two rifles would have a pretty damn nice collection in my view.

Agree, he had fine taste.

I would still take an original but worn G Gibbs 505 Gibbs over the "Highman & Laubscher" any day of the week.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would still take an original but worn G Gibbs 505 Gibbs over the "Highman & Laubscher" any day of the week.

http://gibbsgunmakers.com/gunmaking.htm

These are our "CENTRE PIECE" bolt action rifles.we have been building these "STOPPER" rifles since we developed the cartridge in 1913.
Today we will build you such a piece on an original Magnum Mauser" action(when available) or a "Johannsen" magnum action,the GMA "African " magnum action, the BRNO ZKK action or , in the near future a British built Magnum action.

We ,at present,have a good stock of 1930's original Gibbs/Vickers barrels or we can supply modern British made barrels. Rifles can be built to exactly copy the original format of the prototypes using the original Gibbs guages and tools,or we can build the rifle along more modern lines.

If you really push us hard we will fit a scope(reluctantly) but whatever you decide we will build the ultimate British bolt action African rifle.

Previous users of the Gibbs 505 include J.A.Hunter,Tony Sanches-Arino,Bror Blixen,Winston Guest and Monty Brown. The calibre and make has featured in the works of Hemingway and P.G.Woodehouse amongst others!

Phone,write or e-mail with you requirements and we will set the wheels in motion to let you own a piece of "modern" history Prices from £9950 excl tax. Exact prices by quotation only

Orig. Gibbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, nice gun.

I already have one, wouldn't mind another one !!!

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I love this rifle.
If I were looking for a 505, there would be no need to look any further.
Virtually every detail on this gun is what I would order if having one built. The $15K asking price may seem a bit much, but you couldn't get close to building that gun today for that amount.
I like the forend on this gun better than the Gibbs rifles which seem to be a bit thicker up there.
Got to stop thinking about this one...may end up doing something silly...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I like the forend on this gun better than the Gibbs rifles which seem to be a bit thicker up there.

Agree.

Although the Gibbs shape is unique, they can be a bit big in the fore end.

Mine certainly is and can be hard to hold sometimes.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that isn't just an illusion. I never have handled an original 505 Gibbs but they do look big in the forend. My 416 is about as big as I would want to go in the forend but I do have probably smaller hands than average and I like to really grasp the forend and a bit of barrel just as when shooting doubles with a splinter forend.
I have a Gibbs in 280Ross on a SB magnum Mauser and I am really tempted to rebarrel to something bigger. Not sure if the wood could accommodate a barrel channel as big as for a 505 though. It would be the logical choice for that gun if I were to do it I guess since the 505 is the missing big bore boltgun in my safe right now. Then again, there is that 505 at Pugisi's... There I go again!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the Puggs over re doing another Gibbs via a rebarrel.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd buy the Puggs over re doing another Gibbs via a rebarrel.

Very true. Better to sell the Gibbs (and some others) to fund the 505. I think the Gibbs in 280 is a bit silly but I don't like the idea of dimantling the gun to make something else either. It has been restocked though so not 100% as it is. A very nice gun though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius

I was also thinking of the mag box, feeding issues etc.

I've just seen this when "gunsmiths" make a custom 505 or 500J, some seem to have a problem with getting the feeding right.

Gibbs got it right !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another nice one.Thanks Trax.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure is a gorgeous rifle, I'd be really happy if I owned it. I'll check out the link to the gibbs site.

I probably could dig a lot and find some pics I took years ago at an ACGG show of a color cased magnum mauser that was in 505 gibbs with 26" barrel done by Jerry Fisher, another absolutely stunning rifle, I wonder where it is now.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Red, I wished I had taken photos of the Fisher rifle. Jerry got that one right. I have handled a few original 505 Gibbs rifles and the one Jerry built was the best balanced and handled superbly.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
458Win: Red, I wished I had taken photos of the Fisher rifle.

Feel free to copy (middle rifle):

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning Rifle!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote