New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Julia leftovers.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There are some very fine rifles/shotguns/antique firearms leftover asking for reasonable offers from the last auction a few days back. Appears to me they were all reserved too high, maybe the owners are closer to reality now. If there's something one likes, can't hurt to make a reasonable offer. All they can do is say "No".

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not reality, it is the lack of!! Wink

Its an election year, the economy is not exactly booming, folks are worried about traveling as ISIS runs rampant and Obama plays his fiddle, or fiddles with his fiddle stick, while Rhome burns, and the Republican party has gone bonkers on us and may implode, and all we can do is pray that Hillary goes to the joint or our guns are in grave jeopardy. Now ain't this a pissers So therein lies the problem...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I got the Julia email alert and I went in and got frustrated that no minimums were quoted. I assumed they were too high to even mess with. But, thanks for the reminder Gato. I also appreciate the heads up on the Nosler sale which I only saw 2 days after you posted it. So, I couldn't take full advantage of it.
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
There are some very fine rifles/shotguns/antique firearms leftover asking for reasonable offers from the last auction a few days back. Appears to me they were all reserved too high, maybe the owners are closer to reality now. If there's something one likes, can't hurt to make a reasonable offer. All they can do is say "No".

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a link?

Doug

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
These were the leftovers a couple days ago. Call one of Julia's representatives to negotiate. Josh Lowensteiner is a good guy.
http://jamesdjulia.com/auction...ty-arms/?available=1

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I got the Julia email alert and I went in and got frustrated that no minimums were quoted. I assumed they were too high to even mess with. But, thanks for the reminder Gato. I also appreciate the heads up on the Nosler sale which I only saw 2 days after you posted it. So, I couldn't take full advantage of it.
quote:

There are no minimums quoted because there are no minimums. You are making an offer. However, you can take the estimated sale price into account and offer accordingly. If the low estimate is say, $10K, then a $3K offer is not likely to buy it and is wasting your and their time. I lowballed two or three items, meaning my offer was below, but not too far below, the estimated low end sales price, but don't really expect to get them. If I hadn't spent more than I needed to on 4 guns at the Poulin auction, I would have been more serious. Be aware that the Buyer's premium (15% if paying in cash or check)is still in effect.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot of items.What percent of original offering did NOT sell?Didn't see many deals.Some of the Fabbris are tempting but 15% BP kills them.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno what the percentage is but their auctions have a LOT of guns, so it would probably be under 2-3% would be my WAG. I'm not sure but I think this amount of "leftovers" is higher than normal. I suspect oil prices may have something to do with it being higher than normal plus the African hunting costs are killing some of that market.

If you can't make an OFFER and figure the 15% in, then you probably shouldn't buy at auction ever. Geesh.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I need another Fabbri like I need another cranial foramen.Didn't see any deals there.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep, divide your best offer by 1.2 Should get you close to where you need (your actual bid) to be considering shipping costs.
quote:
If you can't make an OFFER and figure the 15% in, then you probably shouldn't buy at auction ever. Geesh.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I hadn't spent more than I needed to on 4 guns at the Poulin auction, I would have been more serious.

I ended up with four from Poulin, too. Mine were 1858 and 1961. Which ones did you snag?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Offhand, I don't recall the numbers, but it was 2 Wilson .45s, a very cool engraved antique hammer 16ga, and a Schuetzen.

AFA Fabbris go, they have been and will be out of my price range. However they are the finest feeling shotguns I've ever handled.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Offhand, I don't recall the numbers, but it was 2 Wilson .45s, a very cool engraved antique hammer 16ga, and a Schuetzen.

AFA Fabbris go, they have been and will be out of my price range. However they are the finest feeling shotguns I've ever handled.

From a pretty good shotgunner.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote