Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a picture
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
If anyone has a picture of a skeletal grip cap with case colored finish and an ebony insert I would appreciate it. Just trying to see what it looks like.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't have a photo handy, but it looks like shit.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I don't have a photo handy, but it looks like shit.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about it! Big Grin

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many Libertarians does it take to change a light bulb? Three, but the light bulb has to want to change...

thanks for the opening,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, if you are going to install a skeleton grip cap, inlet it down onto the existing wood. A contrasting wood does not look good. The color case would look good but carry it throughout the rifle, rings safety etc.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Thats actually what I was thinking Chic.

I may send you a PM shortly. Got some Bastogne and Black Wlnt blanks from Cecil on my mind...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Why would an ebony insert not look proper and an ebony forearmtip be acceptable?

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I would think a skeleton cap with ebony would look fine with an ebony fore end.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've done a number of skeleton grip caps in both wood and other materials. Have plenty of ebony remainders and plan one of those too, but haven't decided upon the proper embellishment for the ebony. Checkering is always acceptable of course, but what about other ideas? A Sid Bell elk or an initial plate or an inlaid monogram or some delicate scroll wire inlay or ???

And what about the convex vs flat question? The only ebony example I've ever seen used a flat treatment with a checkered ebony insert, but the Dakota skeleton caps are convex. Decisions, decisions...

FWIW I've found that it's a LOT easier to get a gap-free and chip-free installation if I use a separate piece when inletting. IOW I cut off a section of the bottom of the PG and inlet it into the skeleton while it's off the rifle; when the rest of the stock is completed then the insert can be glued onto the bottom of the PG as a last step or, as I prefer, it can be left inside the skeleton, held in place by the stock finish and the tight fit of the draft angle. I don't say that this is the best way or even a good way for anyone to proceed, I'm just saying that I've had good results with the 'separate piece' approach.

Meanwhile for your viewing pleasure and amusement, here's the grip cap on my 'Mother-In-Law' rifle, one of my early efforts. Not quite the thing for a fine custom but it was fun to do (and even more fun to show her, grin).

Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own nickels's worth...don't do it! Too cutesy-pie. Fact is...I've come around to the point that I think skeleton caps and buttplates are a foolish attempt to show off "skills" that would be best left hiding behind the door.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

Marty Rabeno did this for me years ago,

I still am madly in love with him and his work... well the rifle for sure Wink

He was busy with this project at the time to date his art/work.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
quote:
My own nickels's worth...don't do it! Too cutesy-pie. Fact is...I've come around to the point that I think skeleton caps and buttplates are a foolish attempt to show off "skills" that would be best left hiding behind the door.

Not only that, but can you imagine what the skeleton GC is going to look like after Case color>>>>> Pretzel...

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I might also say that extended top and bottom tangs on a bolt guns along with mullered borders are rather show off skills also that could well be left off. But then, I have no taste because I like them but I also like skeleton grip caps and buttplates. Don't you think the whole thing of a 'custom' gun is the embellishment in whatever manner the customer wants that the craftsman is capable of executing. Some think engraving is a pure waste of money.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
So let's see here...

it is ok to have color cased hardened scope ring against a matte black or gloss black scope background...but it looks bad to have a color case hardened skeleton grip cap surrounding an ebony wood background.

Seems like Doug Turnbull has a different view of how well case hardened looks surrounding a very dark background.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4...es/m/in/photostream/

I would say its your rifle do what you want.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote