New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tasteless Custom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it just me or does this Dakota 10 have tasteless and ugly engraving?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Choices in engraving patterns and execution is like choices in women (or men) There is no accounting for individual tastes.
It would not be my choice but It's not bad and I've seen a lot worse - and a lot better

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
What's tasteless about it?

When I saw the post I thought this was going to be a thumbhole stocked Weatherby Mark V, with some serious 1950's Weatherby engraving on it.

That's the typical subject of ridicule on these boards by folks who believe that one type of engraving or rifle is better than another.

I am not an engraver, and like Phil said this isn't my idea of beautiful, but who are you to question someones idea of asthetics?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of what you find on a CZ SXS. Cartoonish,

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gold inlay is what kills it.

The pattern wouldn't be so bad by itself on the Case Coloured metal
but as the above says, it detract from it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
The Gold inlay is what kills it.

Yep. Contrasting-color inlays are fine for borders but when used in the body of the pattern then, like stock carving, many of them detract rather than add.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I think the engraving is fine but the gold doesn't do it any favors.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 829 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's not terrible but I don't find it particularly attractive. The rifle would look better without, but that's my opinion. However it isn't a total loss. It can always serve as a bad example.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i don't like it,m but if it fits someones taste, so be it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks pretty good. I can make a home for it if someone is throwing it out. No problem

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks a bit "neon" to me, but it's not my rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. It is busy and not very pleasing to the eye!

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It would not be my first choice, or even my second or twelfth, but it's far from tasteless or ugly.

JMHO, of course.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt(in my mind) that the engraving detracts from the the rifle. In other words it would look better if the engraving had not been done.

So yes Howard, it is ugly. But that is JMHO.

But I have never seen gold pin-striping that I though looked even remotely good.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Yikes..... Roll Eyes
I would love to have Dakota #10 someday, but I wouldnt dump the money involved on one in 22-250, nor would I consider one that had that shitty looking inlay done.

I'd almost rather own a Browning sofa

That inlay almost looks photo-shopped

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The rectangular gold border on the trapezoidal sidewall is somewhat unsettling to the eye.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Engraving should "flow" from one end to the other and back. This just looks disjointed to me.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate almost any engraving. However, this style looks like left over spagetti on a plate. Gold should be for borders and minimally at that. I feel guilty bashing the work as I could not file, let alone cut, a straight line on steel. I feel better now.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's room for imporvement. I'm not a fan of gold inlay. Or game scenes.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think it's terrible and drops the gun's value to zero.

Please send the gun to me. I will keep it so you can have a clear conscience.

PS: I will pay for the shipping and handling

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Well...Guess if I can't say something nice about it - _____________________

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
Well...Guess if I can't say something nice about it - _____________________

Many people seem to agree with this statement regarding styling on custom rifles, even when we are discussing very general/generic concepts such as simple Vs. complex checkering patterns.

Unfortunately if only the people with positive comments post, the discussion is worthless.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For an idea of what a Dakoto 10 CAN look like, please see Steve Hughes' book Custom Rifles in Black and White. Please note the new lever, IMO it turns a sow's ear into a silk purse.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:

Howard, is this all you can do is bellyache?

Give it a rest and find something to praise. It just might make you into a tolerable person!

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Is it "Bling"? I don't find it as offensive as some do but I wouldn't order it that way.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scotch Bonnet:

Give it a rest and find something to praise. It just might make you into a tolerable person!

Howard

It must be nice know that you have fans following your every post.
Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I spell tasteless W-e-a-t-h-e-r-b-y ...

sofa

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Dear Mr Scotch, it is like buying a corvette then putting cheap tires on it. There are some things that just aren't done in good taste. You don't take a high end expensive single shot then use it to practice gold inlay on. Would you prefer I use the term poor judgment then poor taste?

I am sorry you find me intolerable but impressed I mean enough for you to give me a few words of your wisdom.

BTW my friends and family enjoy my company.

Scotch I did a quick search of your 25 posts. The majority of them seem to involve you complaining or ridiculing something. Confused

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dear Mr Scotch, it is like buying a corvette then putting cheap tires on it. There are some things that just aren't done in good taste. You don't take a high end expensive single shot then use it to practice gold inlay on. Would you prefer I use the term poor judgment then poor taste?

I am sorry you find me intolerable but impressed I mean enough for you to give me a few words of your wisdom.

BTW my friends and family enjoy my company.

Scotch I did a quick search of your 25 posts. The majority of them seem to involve you complaining or ridiculing something. Confused

I'd be willing to bet it's 22WRF using a different name.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take that bet Kobe! shame Put your money where your mouth is.

Besides, I think Howard is a good guy. Outstanding father to his kids as well!!!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The more I look at that engraving the more it grows on me. Considering the caliber maybe the engraving pattern represents the impact the 22/250 bullet has on what it hits. Wink

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way about gold engraving on a firearm that General George S Patton felt about Pearl Handled Revolvers..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Why all the complaining. It goes well with machined/integral sights, barrel bands & quarter ribs, etc etc etc y'all like...... he he he Wink

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my choice...but I'm sure someone is absolutely tickled with it!

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't be my choice if I was aying for the engraving nut if it was like that and I got a deal on buying the rifle I wouldn't be shy aabout being seen with it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote