New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 52 Custom Sporters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have some pics of nice customer Win 52 sporters? I traded into a bit of a basket case 1920 model barreled action that I would like to build into a full-ish size sporter but am having trouble finding inspirational pics of anything but the Browning remakes. It's currently wearing a 28" bull barrel but I'd pull that and fit a sporter contour. I've got a nice blank or two to carve the stock from but the sporter stock that came with it has to go. It has a unique trigger that I've not been able to identify yet and came with sporter and target stocks. I already have enough target rifles to play with for now.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can borrow a copy of Steven D. Hughes book entitled "Custom Rifles in Black and White". In that books he has photos of a couple of custom 52s that are stunning. One by Gene Simillion and Steve Billeb, and the other by Steve Heilmann and Jim Tucker.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Your trigger appears to be a "J.B. Smith" custom trigger. Mr Smith was from Oakland, CA, and worked very closely with another Oakland gunsmith by the name of George Titherington.
Steve

Posts: 1 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the trigger, I'll check it out. I think a friend has a copy of Mr. Hughes book so I guess I'll start there.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I can't remember where this came from. It's a 52 stock.

Posts: 6407 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I'll second checking out the M52s in Custom Rifles in Black and White.

This one is nice too: http://www.hallowellco.com/darwin_hensley%20win52.htm

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE??This passed up nice way back!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimR:
NICE??This passed up nice way back!

Amen!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I meant that tongue-in-cheek, it is a very, very fine rifle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried to stock a 52. The angle of the tang is way off and needs modification or the angle of the wrist from tang to comb looks wrong. I wonder if Fisher or Echols ever made one.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend Dave Norin is currently building a full custom on an original Winchester 52. You can see the pictures on his Facebook page if you are interested. Can't copy and repost them here for some reason.

Best wishes!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm building one now but it its a slow process, baby sitting 18 month old grandson during day to tired at night, may have a custom floor plate for sale a little later promised first dibs to a guy i'll let you know if you would like to see it.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
I'll second checking out the M52s in Custom Rifles in Black and White.

This one is nice too: http://www.hallowellco.com/darwin_hensley%20win52.htm

What a beauty,thanks for posting this Evan and all the info from others. I just love AR.. Big Grin
Inspirational pics by the yard.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea of build or replacement cost for this beauty?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KimR,

If you have to ask...

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been out of the custom rifle game for30 yrs.Into Fabbris now.This would been maybe 6- 10k gun then.But HuWs used are only20-30k now.Doubt this one much more specially in this market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim,

Metal work by Heilmann then--$10,000. Heilmann now--$20,000.

Engraving by Terry Wallace then maybe $10,000.
Terry is dead. Equivalent engraving today by Eric Gold $20,000 up.

Stock by Darwin Hensley then $7,000--$9,000.
Darwin is dead. Equivalent stock today $9,000--$12,000.

I think your numbers are wishful thinking.

Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ClaMar:
KimR,

If you have to ask...

Clarence

Let me give you a clue. If he is "into" Fabbris, that gun would seem cheap, even at the highly inflated prices quoted above.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a search on Fabbris as I was unfamiliar with it. Are you speaking of the guy that draws pictures or the sausage maker.
I don't do pictures, but like good sausage.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gator,

Yep, obviously deeper pockets than me...

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivo and Tulio Fabbri build what are arguably the finest shotguns in the world in Consecio Italy. Consecio is a suburb of Bresica, where a lot of other fine Italian guns are made.

I am not certain of the exact price, but I think that a best quality shotgun from them today would be over $200,000.00, and a plain base model would be in the neighborhood of at least $75,000.00.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep,about what I thought.Comissioned custom rifles are outrageous to build then you get 50% maybe!
But a few years ago,a pigeon shooter friend ordered a pair of Fabbri U/O for a client & was pushing 500k delivered.Will be a long time gettingthat back!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember guys in the 60s Biesen got $275 for the #4(BEST) stock including wood.Could do a tricked out M70 for ~$600 TYD.Paid $225 used at Anoka Gun show!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could be into Fabbris!

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jmbrown:

Around $50,000 would get you started with a used one.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by Jmbrown:

Around $50,000 would get you started with a used one.

And that is why I "wish" I could be into Fabbris. A couple of years ago at the Tulsa Arms Show, Gulf Breeze Firearms had a new Fabbri 3 barrel set in 20, 28, and 410 that was INCREDIBLE! I think the price on it was somewhere in the $130,000 range.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet that was on a 20b frame.A 410 gets pretty clubby.50k will get close on a plain Jane 12b but the screamers are small bores done by Torcolli et al.50K won't get the bbls.
A friend had Rizzini do a 28b close to dimensions of my prewar 28b Boss engraved by Torcolli.Makes you weak!