THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Greener Lever Action Trap Shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greener Lever Action Trap Shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran into a really nice Greener Lever Action Trap Gun the other day. I don't shoot trap, but I wonder if this could be converted to a rifle barreled slug gun. Any of you custom guys know whether these old Greeners were SAE threaded or Whitworth?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Greener GP is quite common here in the UK and was used with slug with its original smoothbore barrel.

The ones that work "best" for that are the 26" length barrel variants or the (quite rarely seen) 28" length barrel variants.

The standard 30" length barrel variants are choked at about 3/4 and the uncommn 32" length barrel variants choked at about FULL.

FWIW if you can get a 26" or 28" as original rather than a chopped Greener you will find that it will shoot quite well with slug "as is" with its smoothbore barrel.

What is NEVER advised is converting these to high pressure rifle cartridges as quite simply the action will not stand the higher forces without eventual damage.

My advice? Buy a cheaper non-Trap 26" barrel model and try it "as is" with standard Foster or Brenneke type slug.

As far as the threads go it is a little more complicated! The barrel was fitted to the gun so you will have to get the threads in perfect "start" alignment. Greener GP barrels are, for that reason, usually NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.

If a spare or extra barrel was wanted it had to be either ordered WITH the gun or the gun had to be returned to the Greener factory for the thread on the new barrel to be cut correctly aligned.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just listed a 12bore rifle blank in the classifieds.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's mine, fully rifled Pac-Nor 12 ga barrel.

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

That is one beautiful piece H&H_Mad

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well an update on the Greener Trap.
Went and put the Greener on Lay-aways. SKB was kind enough to sell me the 12 bore Hastings Blank, and give me a referral on having the work done. Briley's is in Houston and about 30 miles from my door step. I'm going to talk to them also. Anyway, a some pix taken on my I-phone. Not up to my usual standards, but better than no pix.

I'm thinking a rifled barrel +/- 26, 3" Chamber, iron sights. I'll probably strip the finish and refinish with tru-oil. Should be just right for pokin' Texas porkers at 75 yds. or so.

Any suggestions or input would be welcome.

Best

GWB

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I got called when that one came in to the Pasadena store. I went over and looked at it and decided it was going to cost too much to make it into something I could use. Did you think about having it set up for screw in chokes? It seems like I remember Brownells had some rifled choke tubes to do what you want, but I never heard any feedback on how well they work. Good on ya for picking it up and Good Luck with the conversion!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

I vacillated on this since it came in. For some reason this particular piece would not let me alone. Every time I walked in it would call my name. I finally succumbed.

I called Briley's and a fellow there said they could adapt the barrel to use their screw in choke system for $+/- $250. That would be one option

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the proof stamp, that is the O X B, your Greener was proved in 1963.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
From the proof stamp, that is the O X B, your Greener was proved in 1963.

Thank you sir.
It's amazing what one can learn on this forum.

Best

GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it with several different kinds of slugs, as is. It might not need any work at all...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote