New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fine or Flawed?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
well you could make a mistake look like it was done on prupose, drill out the knot and replace it with an engraved cross bolt, the only other option is return it for firewood and make them replace with better wood..

Hard to believe a gunmith stock maker would allow that to pass inspection..no excuses..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple more photos of my new-to-me Shiloh:

Buttstock:

Full length:

I got unlucky with the C. Sharps rifle, but more than made up for it with this one.

Bottom line is that if they won't let you choose your wood, and C. Sharps will not, then you are at risk.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Never saw anything lke that on plain jane Winchester, CZ or Remington stocks.

quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
Pinhole knots on a stock with a bit of color and figure are one thing, but those knots looked like two open sores on a plain brown turd. You made the right choice, that second one is beautiful.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good rifle to hunt with or a closet queen? take your choice, no big deal IMO..plain wood with a tiny knot or two, what plain is plain...Pictures of XXXX wood mean very little in the posters question..it was "knots or not!" in plain wood. rotflmo Id be proud to hunt with it as is, I don't recall many buffalo hunters worrying about such trivia.. stir

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well, hell, Ray.

I forget who she was, but she broke my heart when she said, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."

I never did, not anyone nor anything.

Let me tell you though, knowing that you were personally at Bill Cody's side, I will take your words to heart.

Rest assured that his beautiful rifle will be taken afield, and if I do my part, will be used to kill a buffalo in Montana later this year.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point michael, the knots should not have been there, its firewood in his case, just trying to make the poster feel a little better since he apparently has no better option..thanks for the heads up, what was I thinking! nilly

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120