THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    D'Arcy Echols legend...an owner's perspective
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

D'Arcy Echols legend...an owner's perspective
 Login/Join

posted
I post this experience for anyone seriously interested in owning any custom rifle or an Echols rifle out of my own desire to share what a positive experience it has been for me.

In 2000 I decided to purchase a custom hunting rifle. I ran across the usual names and looked and looked. I believe it was Allen Day (now deceased) who eventually referred me to D'Arcy Echols. I did not know Allen or D'Arcy at the time, only Allen's reputation on the internet hunting forums and what I could find about D'Arcy.

So I called D'Arcy and we talked for a while about what kind of hunting I did and what I planned to do in the future and my experience level with rifles and firearms in general. At the time I knew nothing about a rifle except where the trigger was located and I wasn't sure about that. Big Grin

D'Arcy is very straight forward and will tell you what he can and can't do or won't do. In other words there is no pretending he is going to give you one thing and then you get something else. You get what he promises you will get.

Even though I knew a lot less than I thought I did about rifles D'Arcy never talked down to me or tried to show me how little I knew. Instead he said before he would sell me a rifle but I had to call 10 of his references first.

At this point I had already decided to purchase an Echols rifle but I called all of his references anyway. It was quite a mix of people who owned his rifles and they all gave excellent reviews of D'Arcy the man and D'Arcy the rifle maker.

Before, during and after construction of the rifle, D'Arcy also offered to have me fly to Utah and spend a day or several days visiting with him and shooting it at the range. I finally settled on 300 Winchester Mag after much mental gymnastics. I don't know how many times I called D'Arcy and his shop asking question after question but they never seemed upset and never rushed me along.

So I ordered a Legend and about 6 months to 1 year later I got it. Of course many phone calls were made along the way at key points of updating during the construction. The rifle arrived in a Kalispel case with instructions on how to care for it and with targets shot by D'Arcy to demonstrate what the rifle was capable of and it is a sporter weight DRILL.

Well I fully intended to visit D'Arcy but life got in the way. Over the course of ownership I took the rifle to Canada a few times and many times deer hunting in my own state. BTW, some of the references for guides to hunt with in Canada came from D'Arcy which he did on his own with NO prompting from me....and they were excellent references.

At this point I had spoken to D'Arcy several times on the phone during the construction of my rifle and a few times afterwards with some emails. Fast forward 13 years

Via email D'Arcy invites me to a speaking engagement he has in Maryland last summer. I happen to be traveling there with my family anyway so I get to attend. Free food, beer and talking about guns and hunting...what could be better? I finally get to meet D'Arcy in person. He has two beautiful rifles there and gives a detailed 30 minute powerpoint presentation on the construction of his rifles.

After the presentation I am looking at D'Arcy's rifles and out of the blue he invites me to Utah to his shop AGAIN to visit with him and to shoot with him at a local range. 13 years later!!!

Well an opportunity comes to visit Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah (Tooele is pronounced 'too well uh' as far as I can tell). So a few months before the trip to Tooele I coordinate a visit with D'Arcy.

What do you know he is a man of his word. He sets aside a whole day to meet with my wife and I, and Completely unsolicited he takes my wife and I out to dinner the evening before.

The following day we visit his shop. I've never been to a rifle builder's shop and frankly D'Arcy's shop was much smaller than I expected but apparently greatness is born out of a humble place. It is typical of a small craftman's shop with some machinery and lot of hard earned experience and knowledge. After spending a couple of hours with D'Arcy and Brian at the shop we go to the range.

http://s1360.photobucket.com/u...g.html?state=replace

To check zero after the flight we shoot a 3 shot group off the bench at 100yds using a factory Remington Safari load with 200 gr Swift A frames. Rounds go into between 1/2" and 3/4" just like always as this rifle likes this round. My best with this rifle off the bench is a handload with RL-22 and Nosler 180gr partitions which will do 1/4" at 100yds. I did not have any of these handloads available so I took the Remingtons. We then moved the target to the 300yds where a 3 shot group was just over an 1".

I have not had the opportunity to shoot field positions at 300yds before so it was a new and humbling experience for me. D'Arcy provided me with coaching, encouragement and the necessary level of BS and also gave me a new found sense of urgency to find a 300 yd range to shoot at.

He and I spent the whole day together and while I am sure he had a lot of work to do it always felt like two friends just spending the day together shooting the bull, talking rifles and shooting. D'Arcy talked to me exactly the same as the day I called his shop to order it 13 years ago.

Finally my normal life had to resume and so sadly I left Utah to return home but that trip was just tremendous and I can't wait to go back to Utah. I can't say enough about how beautiful that country is and how much fun I had there. Kudos to Southwest Airlines too. Only one delayed flight and my rifle was delivered as given to them.

My advice to anyone looking to purchase a custom rifle to hunt anywhere in the world or if you just want to own a finest quality firearm because you love them......give D'Arcy a call.

I have bought and sold some toys but I have never ONCE considered selling my Echols Legend and have always considered it an heirloom. To D'Arcy's dismay I try to keep it in immaculate condition but I have hunted with it on warm sunny days and days close to or just below 0 and snowing. When it comes time to pull the trigger it has never let me down. When I am going on a hunt requiring a rifle it is the ONLY rifle I reach for.

I have purchased some toys in my life that cost far more money but I have never been treated better or felt like I got more for my time and money than I have with my D'Arcy Echols Legend. If I have a question about it or where to hunt or with whom D'Arcy is just an email or phone call away.

In my opinion there is not a finer rifle builder than D'Arcy Echols.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want one so bad I can taste it BUT I keep buying nice pre 64's in varminters , targets, and chasing a National match and gopher special in .264 win mag . I am gonna buy his stock and bottom metal, I wish he would sell his scope mounts as well as they are true works of art ! very best on a great gun!!!

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I too have been to his shop on a few occasions and concur with Ben, that he treats his visitors and clients with the same care he lavishes on his rifles

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
He looks like a surgeon at work Wink

Does he still use Hartmann& Weiss magnum actions for his big-bores?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 H&H Legend and I liked the rifle so much that I ordered a 375 and a Lott too despite the export/ import hazzles. I really appreciate the level of perfection and the communication with D' Arcy was very efficient, competent and friendly.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend reached out to me the other day on behalf of a guy to whom cost is no object and wants the best. The guy wanted a custom rifle to hunt the World with, I sent a link to Echols Rifles.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I've only bought a legend stock from him I got lots of advice and help as I put my 300 H&H together. Last spring I was able to stop by and pay a visit to D'Arcy and Brian at the shop and spend the afternoon/evening with them. Two top shelf guys doing great work and above all, real, genuinely nice people.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had D'Arcy show his rifles and give a presentation about them at our gun shop.
I was more than a little impressed with his buiding technics to say the least.
He tells it like he sees it, and I was particularly impressed with his answer when I asked him what his preference for scopes was.
I'll leave you with that.
If I could afford one of his masterpieces, one of his .300s would be in my safe today.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What a cliffhanger; spill the beans. What's his scope preference?

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Z:

What's his scope preference?

Leupold Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, his comment was that he hates them all equally. But when pressed,he uses Leupold.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have him build me a medium sporter in 300 Magnum on an old model 70.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice, I believe he only works on the model 70s.
I would pick the .300 as well. That is his favorite caliber.
I would also go with the plain Jane version.His focus is pure precision. His claim is that you can sight the rifle in, then remove the scope and bases; put them back on with the same amount of inch lbs, and the rifle will hit the same hole it did prior.
I was very impressed to say the least.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of chatting with Mr Echols on the telephone a few days ago. I am always concerned to call people who are busy and whose work stands still whilst they talk to you on the phone. Despite this we chatted for probably a half hour, maybe more, with Mr Echols giving me all sorts of advice and recommendations on products to use, how to do certain things and so on. I was sincerely impressed and humbled by this. Echols sounds like a great place to get a custom gun done. I think you will really be a part of the process and get great advice and guidance in what can be a more difficult process than many of us recognise (as the client). From the discussion it is clear that Mr Echols is a perfectionist. The photgraphs of his work and his reputation seems to bear this out.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I just bought a used Echols Legend and had it sent to Darcy for the inspection period. His customer service has been absolutely first rate. Would not hesitate to buy another of his guns. True gentleman.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is always nice to know that our clientele and friends appreciate what "WE" do. While my name is at the top of the letterhead I am working with another equally talented individual Brian Bingham. Together we are a team and his contributions to our everyday operations are just as important as anything that I contribute at the end of each day.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Brian might be a talented but he is not yet as cantankerous Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I think Brian is working on that. Big Grin

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to him long enough the other day that he eventually asked if I could please find something better to do with his time. Big Grin

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote