THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom Big Bores: 500 Jeffery vs 505 Gibbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Big Bores: 500 Jeffery vs 505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted
What would be the best choice between the 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs in a custom built rifle? I've read that the 500 Jeffery is prone to feeding issues but i like it's ballistics much better than the 505 Gibbs, although the 505 Gibbs is one of my top choices for a big bore rifle too. i have also read that good gunsmith won't have much trouble getting the 500 Jeffery to feed well and i'm not sure but i think i read something about the 505 Gibbs can be more expensive because it needs larger actions or something to that extent. are the 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs in the CZ 550s that come from the CZ custom shop very good rifles and do they get the 500 Jeffery to function well in their rifles? thanks very much.

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 500 Jeffrey is NOT prone to feeding issues if a competent gunsmith builds the rifle.

It's one of the biggest internet perpetuated myths out there IMHO.

We have a heap of Custom 500 J's here in Aust, mostly copied from an original. I think I have the first made the gunsmith as the serial number is 5001.

I have both a 505 and a 500J. It's personal choice.

500J, slightly more bullet options but for the amount you will use it, is it that much of an issue ?

Also, as you say, CZ now make one so that is a good option for a good, lower cost gun.

I haven't heard of any problems with the CZ's and quite a few were purchased here in Aus.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
The 500 Jeffrey is NOT prone to feeding issues if a competent gunsmith builds the rifle.

It's one of the biggest internet perpetuated myths out there IMHO.

We have a heap of Custom 500 J's here in Aust, mostly copied from an original. I think I have the first made the gunsmith as the serial number is 5001.

I have both a 505 and a 500J. It's personal choice.

500J, slightly more bullet options but for the amount you will use it, is it that much of an issue ?

Also, as you say, CZ now make one so that is a good option for a good, lower cost gun.

I haven't heard of any problems with the CZ's and quite a few were purchased here in Aus.

thanks very much for the info and i'm very glad to hear that about the 500 Jeffery not having problems if a good gunsmith builds it.

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I had feeding issues with my 500J which was built by the CZ Custom Shop, and even sent back once, but it really came down to the magazine follower not being machined to fit the fat 500 Jeffery case. My gunsmith machined a new one, smoothed up the ramp a bit and it's wonderful. I was going to go with a 505 Gibbs, but was warned that the CZ bolt head wasn't really large enough. I love the 500 Jeffery.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4733 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have built most of the "50s" in sporting rounds.. 505, 500 jeffe, 500 accrel, 500 a2, 510 wells, ...

frankly, the 500 AccRel was built to remove ALL these problems .. doesn't require a huge action, doesn't have any constraints on the boltface, and basically just needs a decent gunsmith to make it feed right ...

all that being said, i refer the 500 jeffe over the 505 gibbs .. the gibbs case is too darn big for modern powders

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38531 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
the gibbs case is too darn big for modern powders

i always wonder why they don't load the 505 Gibbs to higher levels than they do? with that huge case and modern powders it could be a whole lot more powerful than it is now and would probably be more powerful than the 500 Jeffery then. does the 505 Gibbs have a thin or weak case or something, what is the deal with it being loaded to such low pressures these days?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
50 B&M or 500 MDM

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 500 Jeffery has more "schwung" to it...

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a 500 Jeff....Can be buikt on a 98 ..balisticaly neck and neck with 505 Gibbs,,which BTW has that goofy bore diameter

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a 505505 that is loaded to it's full potential and is shot regularly. Why own a gun you are afraid of or not willing to practice with?

Blake

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one that is loaded to it's full potential and is shot regularly. Why own a gun you are afraid of or not willing to practice with?

Blake

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 505 Gibbs.
Go big or go home Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
When Duane Wiebe speaks listen.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pez:
i always wonder why they don't load the 505 Gibbs to higher levels than they do? with that huge case and modern powders it could be a whole lot more powerful than it is now a\

THey kinda do -- its called the chey-tac, but in 416 .. the case is too big to be useful at the vels that people CAN shoot it in a 10$ gun ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38531 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pez:
quote:
the gibbs case is too darn big for modern powders

i always wonder why they don't load the 505 Gibbs to higher levels than they do? with that huge case and modern powders it could be a whole lot more powerful than it is now and would probably be more powerful than the 500 Jeffery then. does the 505 Gibbs have a thin or weak case or something, what is the deal with it being loaded to such low pressures these days?

We do load it (Normal 505 Gibbs) to it's full potential.

And then other, like Geoff McDonald from Woodleigh
take the 505 case and blow it out to .530 to make
the 505/530 and he really loads it up.

And the 5 guns that were built used BeLL 505 cases
so they can obviously handle it.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Do a 500 Jeff....Can be buikt on a 98 ..balisticaly neck and neck with 505 Gibbs,,which BTW has that goofy bore diameter

i like some things about the 505 Gibbs but that diameter is not one of them. I'm going with the 500 Jeffery and another reason i'm going with the 500 Jeffery is i doubdt i'll ever do much actual hunting with this rifle, i just want to have some big strong rifles in my collection so might as well get the more powerful one. i hope i can get at least 3 more rifles this year and after i buy my 450/400 from Mike Brooks the 500 Jeffery will probably be the very next one i get.