New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of Stocks and Sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been making new wood for a Ruger No. 1 with the Alexander Henry fore end. I did some research to see if the groove has a purpose or is just decorative. Some suggested it may be to work with shooting sticks but most say it is just for looks.

That said are there any stocks with a groove or other feature that keeps the shooting sticks from slipping? I do not always have a PH to hold them for me.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From all I have heard it was developed indeed for stalking in the highlands...very few trees on those rocky ridges.
It does make good sense that it was used for walking/shooting sticks.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
makes it useful for not slipping off an ugly stick

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will cobble something to attach to an existing stock and go try it.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would hesitate to hook something into the groove and shoot, It might pop off a chunk of forend wood. I had alwasys heard it served some function in storage of rifles in camp etc. A loop or strap went around the forearm in the groove to prevent slipping. I have also heard it could be used to camp stack several rifles together when no rack was available (jsut looop a cord around them). I doubt this last, since I am not aware of a lot of military applications.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote