THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    411 KDF Custom Rem 700 - So what did I buy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

411 KDF Custom Rem 700 - So what did I buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
411 KDF Custom Rem 700 - So what did I buy?

Hello All,

Not sure if I should post this here, or in the Big Bore Section, so I did both.

I drove 160 miles up North to an Annual Labor Day Gun show in Eagle River, Wisconsin. I asked one of the regular Dealers there, if he had anything "Big" or "Weird". (my typical interest)

He said he had a rifle that was "Both". The price was absurdly cheap because he found little information about the caliber, and no source for ammo.

So, I bought it.

Character marks make it look to have been a "working gun" for use in Alaska, or Africa.

Here's the description:

Custom built on a Remington model 700 action.

It has a dark "black/greenish" parkerized finish on both the action and the barrel.

Barrel length is 23-1/2" including the Muzzle Brake. (I believe it is a KDF Brake)

Weight is 8-3/4 pounds. LOP = 13-1/4 (it came with a leather slip-on recoil boot which can add 3/4" more)

Side of the barrel is stamped 411 KDF

Bottom of the barrel is stamped in 3 lines ....

BJO = 4792 83
400/411 13,7
RTD 12 87

It has a light green/gray Camo Pattern Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with integral sling bars, a Compass in the bottom of the grip cap, and a thumb screw removable buttplate to access the inside of the hollow stock - 3 loaded cartridges are stored there.

It has a Redfield 1.75x5 Widefield scope w/ rangefinder, with Millet rings that have model 100 white-outlined adjustable sights built into the top of the rings.

So, anyone with information on this caliber, or how this rifle might have come to be made, would be appreciated.

If anyone has a rifle in this caliber, or knows someone who does, please let me know.

Here are some pictures:

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2127 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot tell you anything a/b the rifle.

The 411 KDF is very similar to the 416 Taylor w/ .411 bullets.
Kleingunther Distinguished Firearms of Seguin, Texas is KDF.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
I cannot tell you anything a/b the rifle.

The 411 KDF is very similar to the 416 Taylor w/ .411 bullets.
Kleingunther Distinguished Firearms of Seguin, Texas is KDF.

Hello Texas Killartist,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty much putting together the pieces of the puzzle on this rifle's History.

see here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/4251045422

Posts: 2127 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddington wrote some about the 411 in his Safari rifles books nr 1 .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 411 KDF is a necked-down 458 Win Mag case. I had one in a Mauser 99; a KDF Titan II. Phil Kuehne at KDF could probably fill you in on anything you need to know.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PerH:
Boddington wrote some about the 411 in his Safari rifles books nr 1 .

Hello PerH,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I have that book. I'll take a look.

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
The 411 KDF is a necked-down 458 Win Mag case. I had one in a Mauser 99; a KDF Titan II. Phil Kuehne at KDF could probably fill you in on anything you need to know.

Hello Biebs,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I talked with Phil. He's the one that told me that they used B. Obermeyer barrels and led me to contact Boots about my rifle.

I've since made up some cartridges on .458 WM brass and the rifle shoots very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rear sight and front sight blade mounted on top of the scope rings is a new one on me !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....from memory, they were made by Millet Sights Confused

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote