New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Custom, but Classic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always been fascinated by the Mauser Model 66 rifle since having a Stutzen grade one in 308 way back when. This was an engineering attempt to shorten the action length on a bolt-action rifle by designing the bolt to telescope into itself when drawn back. The action itself is slick and smooth as can be. I found this pair in an estate sale, chambered in 30-06 and 375 H&H. Based on the bolt faces and barrels, I'm not sure either one has ever been fired. They came with Conetrol bases and rings, which, like Buehler, were popular at the time on higher-end rifles. Now for a pair of Leupold gloss 2.5x8 or 3x9 scopes, and I'll take them out to see what they'll do.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Yes, very nice and normaly very accurate rifle. My pal just bought one from Sweden.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
There's an ebay seller that makes the 1 pc bridge mounts for those.

M660: american calibers: not sure why I used qd rings . moded weaver bases.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, nice set-up!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I like the euro cheek piece. There was a 66 at the Split Rock show in Pa. last weekend, $2500 marked on it. Mine also came with 2 sets of Conetrols. Two different height rings!!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine in Austria hunts with one in 9.3x64. It is his favorite rifle.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
There is an article by John A Reese in the 9th Edition of the Handloader's Digest called "How Much Zap?" where several rifles of a mix of makes and calibers were used on an African safari by several hunters.

There were two Mauser Model 60 (sic) rifles amongst the firearms used (the early model was marketed as a Model 660 hence perhaps the reference to the Model 60 or could have been a reference to the Model 66).

After some use on various animals both Mausers suffered a problem with "a small bolt stop lug on the bolt sleeve became battered and bent, which resulted in several failures to fire". This problem "cost their shooters several trophies".

The article narrative goes on to say that "Mauser has corrected this defect" (possible on the Model 66) and makeshift repairs halfway through the safari got the rifles operating properly again.

This was obviously an early defect, likely your rifles would not suffer this problem.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Fine looking rifles. I have never handled one.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote