THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    David Miller Custom Rifle Maker - RIP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Miller Custom Rifle Maker - RIP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I just read in this month's edition of Safari, the journal of Safari Club International, that David Miller, custom rifle maker of great and deserved renown, died in July of this year, at the age of 80.

RIP to one of the greatest of our time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love him or hate him he and Curt set a standard that we all have benefited from and few will achieve. I admired much of what he accomplished.
You always knew where he stood.

God Speed David

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
He was on multiple best of list in his day. Robb Report, that type of thing.

The Boone and Crockett drama was just drama. I thought he was one of the best makers of all time.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
He was one of the very best, not only a great rifle builder but also Coues Deer hunter par excellence. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to read this. RIP Sir.

What a wonderful pair of gunmakers David and Curt were.

I still covert the SCI Elephant Rifle!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RockDoc
I'm with you, that was quite a rifle frankly. I think it was the best of that SCI series.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the book on David and Curt 'Mastery of Wood and Metal' published by Tom Turpin . They were very talented. I was impressed with the jigs and fixtures for practically everything they did.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this sad news.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Terribly sorry to hear!

Always very impressed by their work. I really enjoyed Turpins book as well.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
I only knew of Mr. Miller through articles written by Tom Turpin. The photos made me drool but knew they were out of my reach. I also learned of his Cous Deer hunting from the same author. I have never heard of any uproar about or surrounding him. RIP Mr. Miller

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had 2 of his rifles in Toms book.
Had 6 of his rifles at one time.
Hunting with him 3 times.
Sold all, but one Marksman
We had our personal differences, but when it came to craftmanship, and hunting prowess, he was 2nd to none. Not sure which one he loved more. rifles or Coues hunting. I kept one of his rifles just cuz.
I Know for a fact that he had great respect for you D'Arcy.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Sad to read this. RIP Sir.

What a wonderful pair of gunmakers David and Curt were.

I still covert the SCI Elephant Rifle!

I wonder what happened to that rifle after Joe Bishop passed away?

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I first heard of Miller and Crum, in an article in Rifle magazine, when I was just starting my gunsmithing career; maybe 1977. So it was that I always thought of David Miller as a man slightly older than myself. So, in his thirties. It's a little disconcerting to hear he passed at 80!
Just another reminder that time waits for no one. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote